X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A+ Certification Rant...

Gang,

For some unknown reason, I seem to think that an A+ certification will help my current career path (cause machines I can handle, just not generally the operators.). Couple of things I noticed in changes to the A+ certification that I'm just now getting back around to trying to complete:

1. Okay, they changed the tests to be more specific to job areas? Why??!?!? Seems dumb on the surface, but I readily accept that I sound like a stupid customer at this point and just need a rational explanation. Which leads me to

2. WHY THE HECK ARE SOFT SKILLS ON THIS TEST??!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?! Seriously, how the freak does that prove how good of a tech you are? Is it just me, or does this seriously smell of corporate? Which would you rather have? A surly tech who actually knows things, or a "nice" tech that doesn't?

Mods, if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move. I'm not trying to get in a debate per se, but I want to know if any of the nicer techs have an idea as to why? (Because as we all should know... I'm not exactly the nicest guy when it comes to stupid. I have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to it.)

Why are they on this test?

Let's face it: Users are the exact same thing as customers. In fact, if you're a tech, the users are your customers. Now, consider it from your manager's point of view:

Do I want to have a tech who, while he might be slower at getting things done, keeps the customer off my back and does get them done eventually? Or do I want to have a tech who, even though he gets things done, generates a call to me for his "attitude" for over half of all issues I send him to do?

If I'm the manager, I've got better things to do than to say "Look, DarkCSR, you're fantastic at the technical knowledge. Would you please pretend to be nice to the customer, so that I can do the work I need to do, which will keep my manager off both our backs?"

That'll get tiresome real quick. And, if I'm the manager having to deal with it, I'll stop dealing with it real quick, and you'll be dealing with looking for work.

Which would you prefer?

Comment

I'm going to answer these in reverse order.

Because the A+ Certification exam(s) are not a technical aptitude test, they are a technician aptitude test. Let me explain further. Most companies who hire and promote to technical positions have HR people who have never:

a: seen the inside of a computer or program
      b: never dealt with customers/users/clients/etc

And these are positions that hiring someone off the street without any knowledge of their abilities is not going to happen. The problem is, you need to have the ability to determine someone's skill, and that takes the knowledge in the field as well. (The takes one to know one axiom)

In short, the certification is simply a quick reference for HR who couldn't do the job to save their lives. Most techs will give a REAL hard time to someone who flashes it around all over the place.

As for the first question, the original test was very general and didn't account into the unique challenges where the test was being used in. Most call centers and remote support sites do not do hands on repairs for their customers, while service depots rarely deal with the general public but handle more dangerous equipment in a more hazardous environment.

The new tests deal with those challenges. That's why the 603 test has less focus on opening and repairing parts and more on talking someone through, while the 604 is the opposite. The 602 is the more middle ground and is the most common used. The 601 is a basic knowledge test and if you can't pass that, you need to brush up on your knowledge first.

And in case you're wondering, there is little to no price change for certification. it's 2 tests at approx. $160 each, as opposed to one test at $320. Being 602 certified will get you a position just about anywhere that's looking for a certified tech. The other two should only be taken if the employer demands it.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

-- Point conceded. I guess I sorta get Why there are more than two tests as there are different applications to each, now that you mention it. Call center tech just doesn't sound good to me. Not sure about Supply Depot. IT Tech is probably broadest.

I kinda figured the soft skills HAD to be a corporate thing. And it's my mistake for thinking this is a tech aptitude test (meaning knowledge is tested) vs. Technician aptitude test. I see the difference. I can't say I like it, but I guess I'll deal with it because it seems I think differently than most. I'm not saying soft skills aren't important, I was trying to figure out, what does this have to do with being a competant and skilled tech, speaking strictly from a nuts and bolts perspective. I think it kinda answers my question. Thanks guys for not laughing too hard.

Comment

Working...
        X