This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Follies of Baseball

So this was a few years ago at Thanksgiving at the video rental store. We were open every single day of the year including Christmas and Thanksgiving. I usually volunteered to work Thanksgiving and just did dinner with my family on the Friday after, I got holiday pay, which was nice.

So this one particular Thanksgiving was very very very slow, because everyone was eating dinner with their families, not renting movies. So my Shift Lead and I were playing baseball. This was common in our store. We would make baseballs out of tape and paper by balling it up. The bat was a metal pole that was supposed to be on the carts we ran movies on. So I'm pitching to my Shift Lead (who always took baseball a little too seriously). Somehow, someway, I don't know, he let go of the bat on the backswing and it went flying through the window. The window over the drop box, smashed. Glass everywhere. We were both in total shock for about 3 minutes. He starting freaking out and I had to take the lead and tell him to call the store manger and I went outside to clean up the glass. I taped some cardboard boxes over the broken area. Some glass guy came out an hour or so later and fixed it.

I never know what my store manager told the district manager. We never got in trouble since I had been playing baseball with my store manager the day before. Needless to say, baseball was history after that.

I never get to play baseball at work anymore.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Blckroses View Post
      So my Shift Lead and I were playing baseball. This was common in our store. We would make baseballs out of tape and paper by balling it up. The bat was a metal pole that was supposed to be on the carts we ran movies on.
      We mapped out a mini golf course(used rolled up posters for putters), and also played "stennis"(name of the store had "station" in it so "station tennis")-we had a gumball machine that dispensed those little rubber bouncy balls at 10 cents a piece. We used a video box for a paddle and the window for the wall(it was more like handball or paddle ball)-we put a masking tape line on the window and to score you hit above the line and the person had to return it to you above the line.
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

At my last construction factory job. On break a few of us would take a scrap board and little pieces of scrap and played baseball. One person also made some dice and well, we played dice. Another person made some dominoes. Another person and myself, made a bench. I and another person made chairs for ourselves. Of course, this was done, when were either slow or done with the jobs and waiting for the next.
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Working...
        X