This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange guy in the house while petsitting

OK, sorry if I misled you, this isn't about a burglar or anything. The story is, the lady across,the street, Mrs. J, hired me to feed their cats while the family went on vacation. The parents are totally nice, but their daughter is kind of known for being a complete brat. She's about sixteen or seventeen and is the kind of girl who has loud parties all night when her parents are away.

Example- a couple of weeks ago a friend of hers drove his car into my sister-in-law's car that was parked on the street. The girl, K (name changed to protect the annoying), went straight to our front door and told my mom it was all her fault because it would never have happened if the car had been parked in the driveway. Her nice mom was really upset that she said that and apologized and hopefully reamed her out.

So Mrs. J gave me a key to come in twice a day and feed the cats. The first four days, no problem. The fifth day, in the afternoon, I started to go over and there was a strange car in the driveway. The family wasn't supposed to come back until the next day, so I went and rang the doorbell. Some guy answered the door in sleep pants and no shirt, and told me he's a friend of K, and he let himself in to keep the cats company (wtf?) because K gave him a key. He offered to take my key to give it back to Mrs. J, but I refused.

He told me that he fed them, so I went back home, and my mom took the license number down just in case. After he left I went back in and looked around just to make sure he hadn't trashed the house or anything, but it all looked ok. The next day the family came back, and my mom went over to talk to her about the whole thing, and Mrs. J said she didn't even know that K had given anybody a key until the flight home.

Apparently K had given him a key to come in and feed the cats because she didn't know that her mom had asked anybody. Her mom was like "Do you really think I'd leave without making some arrangements to watch the animals?" and she was really mad at K for giving anybody a key which she did not have a right to do, especially without telling her. Anyway, the guy only came over once that I saw, so it's a good thing her mom made arrangements. Mrs. J sent over a thank you card with some money in it, slightly more than we'd agreed on. She's a really nice lady.

Anyway, not really a customers suck and not really a sighting, the guy didn't really do anything wrong while he was there, but it did kind of happen at work for me. If someone feels this belongs more in off-topic, feel free to move it. Anyway, it seemed interesting enough to share.
    It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
    -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Her nice mom was really upset that she said that and apologized and hopefully reamed her out.
    and hopefully K's friend paid for any damages to the car. regardless of what K thinks, there's no law against parking along the side of the street. and just because she "thinks" it shouldn't have been there doesn't excuse her friend from paying for damages.

Come to think of it... I'd suggest setting up an arrangement with the mother... that you'll let her know if there's any parties going on while mum's away. Or just call the cops for noise and underage drinking. ... Cos I kinda doubt these "parties-while-parents-are-gone" are simply tea-parties serving nothing but tea and crumpets.

Sounds like K has a lot of growing up to do.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
      and hopefully K's friend paid for any damages to the car. regardless of what K thinks, there's no law against parking along the side of the street. and just because she "thinks" it shouldn't have been there doesn't excuse her friend from paying for damages.

Come to think of it... I'd suggest setting up an arrangement with the mother... that you'll let her know if there's any parties going on while mum's away. Or just call the cops for noise and underage drinking. ... Cos I kinda doubt these "parties-while-parents-are-gone" are simply tea-parties serving nothing but tea and crumpets.

Sounds like K has a lot of growing up to do.
      Exactly. The father of the kid who drove into the car actually tried to threaten my sister-in-law into not reporting it on her insurance because he doesn't want his insurance to go up. NO DICE. We did call the cops on them once in the middle of the night, when my brother and sil were camping out in our trailer for the night with their baby. Some kid retaliated by throwing a piece of cement at the trailer. Boy, did K get it the next day. My mom said the first thing she saw that morning was K sweeping up broken glass in the road.
      -Helen Keller

Comment

Glad to hear K was made to clean up some of the mess...at least in the one incident. Frankly, my Mom would've hauled me off to apologize myself and make sure I begged for forgiveness. I'm surprised K is still left alone at home for a weekend or whatever. My Mom was loving, but we had to earn her trust. If we pulled such a stunt, someone else would be housesitting and we'd be completely grounded.

K's mom seems nice enough, but I wonder if she isn't giving enough discipline? I know kids that age will do what they will, but I wonder if K is really held accountable for her actions.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
          Glad to hear K was made to clean up some of the mess...at least in the one incident. Frankly, my Mom would've hauled me off to apologize myself and make sure I begged for forgiveness. I'm surprised K is still left alone at home for a weekend or whatever. My Mom was loving, but we had to earn her trust. If we pulled such a stunt, someone else would be housesitting and we'd be completely grounded.

K's mom seems nice enough, but I wonder if she isn't giving enough discipline? I know kids that age will do what they will, but I wonder if K is really held accountable for her actions.

I really don't know. I know they're having a lot of problems with her, but I'm not sure what kind of discipline she gets. It's none of my business, really. It's a shame though...I remember when she was little, she was such a cute kid.
          -Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
          X