This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career change, advice welcome!

It's been on the back burner for awhile now, but given the events of the past few weeks I'm ready to never set foot in a call center again. I'm sick of the whiney customers, the strange, over-restrictive corporate policies, "teamwork" translating into "the strong carry the incompetent", and all the other general hassles of the job.
    I've been passively looking for a new job, and for the past 4 months or so I've had an interest in the skilled trade unions (carpenters, plumbers, welders, etc). My dad was a carpenter for 30+ years, my brothers and I were hanging drywall and roofing from the age of 10 or so with him on home remodeling and weekend side jobs, I'm not afraid of working in the elements, and an apprenticeship sounds much more appealing than college.
    Then there's the money; my dad has only gotten excited about any of my ever-changing career goals twice, once was when I told him I was considering enlisting in the Navy (he's a Vietnam vet), and the other was when I told him I was looking at the skilled trade unions. Now he told me that it was a good life and that he averaged about $55k a year while he was a journeyman, but he didn't tell me the averages of what the other trades make! I found out this week from a welder that apprentices in the Steamfitters union make about $100k a year, then the girl I'm dating told me that on the LOW end apprentices make $85k (her brother is in the same union).
    For those of you not familiar with union customs, this pretty much means I would be getting paid $85,000-$100,000 a year to go to college. During an apprenticeship you work 40 hours a week on the job and have classes in the evenings to teach you the trade.
    I can't logically explain this, but have you ever felt like the powers that be are nudging you in a certain direction? Last winter there was a dive bar I went to after work because it was open early and close to my house, thyere were days where it was packed with electrical workers who just got off work from the power plant. I got to talking to them and that's what got me thinking about the unions in the first place. A few months later I was talking to a co-worker about how sick we were of our jobs and I mentioned that my father had told me he could get me sponsored into two of the unions, he looked at me like I was crazy for not doing so and has been hounding me to do it ever since. A few weeks ago I went to a friend's wedding and got to talking to several union workers there and was again encouraged to join. A few days ago I randomly met a couple in a bar, the guy was a welder in the local union, after about 6 hours of BSing he gave me his number, offered to teach me to weld at his house so that I could potentially test out of apprenticeship to journeyman. I doubt I'll be able to test out right away, but it would be nice to try it to see if I like it or am any good at it before jumping into it with both feet. Either way, I think you see where I'm going with this???
    From what I can tell most of the apprentice classes start up in september or october, so I want to get my application in soon. Something my dad suggested was to join the laborer's union first. They basically go to the job sites and assist wherever needed, this gives you the chance to see what the different trades do before you decide which one to go with. Alot of people do this for a few years before choosing a profession, I think it pays $15+ an hour which is more than what I'm making now.
    This isn't just about the money, allot of my childhood memories are of my father bringing his work home with him and passing it down to my brothers and I. That and just about anywhere you go in town he can point out something that he built or re-modeled, my grandfathers were the same way.
    Now all I need to do is pick a trade or go for the laborer's union. Any insight would be appreciated whether it's from experience or hear-say.
    "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Well if you can get in with a Union I say go for it. The money and benefits are well worth it.

However, be prepared to deal with bitter non-union people who do the same work for less money, and also there are a lot of people who flat out hate unions. And you'll see that on some jobsites.

I work with a union company. There foreman gets over $100k a year and he never went to college. He actually started as a mechanic.

But we've worked some non-union jobs with our union crew. It's not a problem as long as no non union people are working at the same time. But the main people on the jobs will be down right nasty at times to our guys.

Comment

Quoth dispatch View Post
      I found out this week from a welder that apprentices in the Steamfitters union make about $100k a year, then the girl I'm dating told me that on the LOW end apprentices make $85k (her brother is in the same union).
      Wait... We're dating?

Awesome.

I am okay with this.
      Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.'

Comment

go for it. from everything i'm reading there seems to be no reason to hold yourself back. just be careful, i guess. i know welding can be a hazardous job.

Comment

Drafter; my father was militantly Union, I've been hearing the terms "rat" and "scab" through gritted teeth for as long as I could remember. There are certain construction companies that I will flip off when I see their crews or trucks around town because they are anti-union.
          Once a rep came to town to announce at a union meeting that they had to lower wages because the LUs in Kansas City and Chicago weren't making as much, my dad and a few of his buddies stormed the podium, broke his jaw, threw him out of the hall and told them to fight harder to raise the grade in KC and Chicago. I'm ok with getting sneered at for making more than they do.

NJ; yes, we are dating, but we've had this conversation already

Volatile; the hazards are one of the bigger issues I'm weighing out. I'm ok with physical labor, but I've heard horror stories about what can happen if you slip up in any of the trades. People getting squished by cranes, fried by electrical wires, and all sorts of other nasty fates lethal or not. This is one of the reasons I might just join the Laborer's union where you go to job sites and assist where needed (running tools and materials around, cleanup duty, etc). I've heard alot of people getting into the field will do that for a few years. I just know I need to get out of customer service before it eats my soul entirely!
          "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

Quoth dispatch View Post

I'm willing to bet money that was the first ever "Yes, we're dating" proposition/announcement made on CS.

We didn't have the conversation until AFTER you posted and I called all "WTF?"
            Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.'

Comment

I don't really post here much but I do read and since I'm in your area I just thought I would let you know that the unions in Omaha are some great unions. If you ever get a chance go to Septemberfest and talk to any of the union guys there. They will give it to you straight and that way you can choose which union job you would be more comfortable with. My dad years ago was the secretary of the roofers union and a very good friend of his is the pres of the AFL-CIO. I've been around unions all my life and don't have much bad to say about them.

About 15 years or so ago I had a fellow employee talk to me about going into the unions and he did and I ran into him recently and he said it was the best decisions that he had ever made and he was glad that I talked him into it.

Comment

Quoth CTB View Post
                If you ever get a chance go to Septemberfest and talk to any of the union guys there. They will give it to you straight and that way you can choose which union job you would be more comfortable with.
                ...I hadn't even thought of that! Thanks!

Comment

Quoth NimrodJess View Post
                  Wait... We're dating?

Awesome.

I am okay with this.
                  Quoth dispatch View Post
                  Sounds like congratulations are in order.

Anyway, it sounds as thought you've made up your mind about at least part of this. Sounds like the Laborers union may well be your best bet, until you actually decide what you want to do.

From experience, I can tell you that the potential of finding your niche and training to do it can be exciting. I've just recently made that move myself in order to get myself out of IT...

Best of luck, whever way you go.

Eric the Grey
                  In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth dispatch View Post
                    ...I hadn't even thought of that! Thanks!
                    Your welcome!

Comment

Quoth NimrodJess View Post
                      I'm willing to bet money that was the first ever "Yes, we're dating" proposition/announcement made on CS.
                      Um, no, but it was over a year back.

Being first isn't important - being happy is.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth dispatch View Post
                        Volatile; the hazards are one of the bigger issues I'm weighing out. I'm ok with physical labor, but I've heard horror stories about what can happen if you slip up in any of the trades. People getting squished by cranes, fried by electrical wires, and all sorts of other nasty fates lethal or not. This is one of the reasons I might just join the Laborer's union where you go to job sites and assist where needed (running tools and materials around, cleanup duty, etc). I've heard a lot of people getting into the field will do that for a few years.
                        From what I've heard, welding is a great profession BUT... a friend of mine was blinded when his flash helmet failed to function properly; and my husband, many years ago, got a piece of molten slag in his ear.

IMHO the Laborer's Union would be a good way to get your feet wet.
                        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                        X