This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't Need To See That

Okay, here is the first ever story of a sucky/funny thing that happened at work. And, my first story on the board...

I was a very, very shy 16 year-old. I worked at a large, nice hotel. Our manager was super-cheap. He had a new phone system installed, which changed ALL of the extensions for room service, front desk, housekeeping, etc. Each guest room had a paper on the desk with these extensions listed out for the clients.

So, what does the manager do? "Here, Yurimaru. Here is a magic marker and a bottle of white-out. And a master key. Go to all 300 rooms, white out each extension, and use the marker to write in the new one."

thinking (We have a COPIER and we are using magic marker and white-out??? That's going to look crappy... Okay... WTF, I get paid no matter what I'm doing...)

Because of the rules where a person cannot be alone in a guest's room, they send an equally young co-worker with me. My master key will open ANY of the locks, except for the chain-across-the-door. We're instructed to knock, say "housekeeping" and if someone is in the room, we explain what we need to do. If they tell us to go away, we mark them down to come back later... Most of the guests that were in their rooms were super-nice and understanding. Except for one well-known band, who trashed their top-floor room and ground potato chips into the carpet...

We get to floor number 6... Knock-knock... "Housekeeping!" Knock-knock again for good measure. No answer. In we go... And there's a couple splack in the middle of the bed, doing the horizontal bop!!!

We stumble out, slam the door, bump into each other a couple times like 16-year-old Abbott & Costello (and we hear him coming, stomping across the floor) before we tear desperately down the back stairs to hide in the offices.

We must have waited hours to see if anyone called the manager to complain, but no one ever did. Maybe that couple was supposed to be at work, or one of them was with someone he or she wasn't supposed to be with... We'll never know...

And that, boys and girls, is what the door chain & do-not-disturb hanger are for.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Oh, how embarrassing!

Comment

"horizontal bop?" that's a new one

I'm surprised that they didn't all of a sudden go "OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH YEEEEEAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!"
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
          I'm surprised that they didn't all of a sudden go "OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH YEEEEEAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!"
          You'd have to call 911 if someone screamed "SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM" in that situation, though.

Comment

"horizontal bop?" that's a new one

Why am I picturing Quagmire from "Family Guy" right now? giggity, giggity!
            "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Actually the "OHH YEAHH" comment came from one of Khiras's threads.
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Actually the "OHH YEAHH" comment came from one of Khiras's threads.
                Aw, I was hoping it was Macho Man Randy Savage

"Be a man, Hulk Hogan! Be a man!"

Comment

Quoth DerangedHermit View Post
                  You'd have to call 911 if someone screamed "SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM" in that situation, though.
                  I pulled a muscle from laughing so hard.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                  X