This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring your Kid To Work Day

There are munchkins running amok here! I like kids, so it's not a big thing (had a nice conversation about books with someone's daughter), but they. Are. Bored. There's nothing really for them to do here, and all the grownups are working. No one can even take them to the park or anything. All they got was a 3 minute walk.

For the most part, the kids are well-behaved. No screaming or fighting. Running, sure, but no more than I do. XD They've been trying to sneak more candy, despite the parents forbidding further sugar, so I had to put the jar in my desk. It's really just a bunch of kids trying to stay sane in a VERY boring place.
    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Several years ago, my company observed "Take Your Daughter to Work" day. My daughter was in junior high at the time, so she spent the day at work with me. Most of the day, she got to double jack with me on my phone and listed to the calls. And, yes, I got some really nasty ones. From that day on, she understood why I often came home in such a bad mood. And she just stayed in her room and gave me my space on those days. I often overheard her telling other family members and some of her friends just how bad my job could be.
    "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

I'm not sure I'll be allowed to bring my (future) kids to work with me. I doubt my (future) place of employment would want small kids around needles and radioactive materials.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I think that bring your kid to work day is only worthwhile if the kid is older anyway. Young kids think it's neat for about half an hour- then they're bored.

Older kids, like freeatlast's daughter, can learn a good deal.
        "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
        HellGate: London

Comment

We get sons and daughters of colleagues on work experience weeks. Started last year, I think. They hang around in departments for a couple of hours and learn of the sort of thing that goes on.

I think we have three more in the near future. I managed to give one a taste of just why I love working in our information department. I think the manic grin after someone had said something particularly stupid made my point for me.

Rapscallion

Comment

I remember when my dad brought me at work for "Bring Kid at Work Day"... the event was arranged by corporate HQ (Dad worked for an international car rental company), and it turned out that Dad was the only one who had kids at that particular office

So what to do with little young me (approx. 7 years old at that time) that obviously had no playmates to play with as he first thought? Well, Dad knew that I had a small grasp at maths, so he put me in front of a calculator and gave me a small stack of old and obsolete invoice copies, and my task then was to check if the Humoungus Big Computer had calculated the VAT right

I know it sounds cheesy now, but I remember clearly how much I enjoyed "working" and actually believing I was helping out. IIRC, some of Dad's coworkers even produced some "test" invoices for me (with wrong calculated VAT's) so I could point the "errors" out and get praised for noticing
            A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

I remember "take your daughter to work day" Mom took me to work with her. I was probably 10 and in 5th grade? Anyway, we got to have lunch with the CEO, and do all sorts of stuff, and learn about the company. It was pretty cool

Comment

My dad's a lawyer and I went to 'take your child to work day.'

It was quite fun, I sat with his secretary and did filing and made coffee etc
                No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

I used to go to my mom's office all the time when I was little during summer break. She owned the company, though. I would make a fort under her desk and sit under there most of the day. Flooring companies are boring.

Comment

Let's see...from the time I was about 6 till I was about 16, I would spend just about every weekend and all summer with my Mom at her place of employment. Here in central Texas, we have a large part of the Colorado River dammed off to form Lake Travis. My Mom worked at a marina on said lake. I was quite adept at entertaining myself by swimming, fishing, sailing, and/or exploring the local flora and fauna.

One time, when I was about 10, I was rowing a boat around the inlet, and someone who didn't know me, told my Mom, "Damn! Look at the muscles on that boy!" Mom, just said, "Boy? Hell! That' my DAUGHTER!"
                    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

My dad used to take me to work all the time when I had doctor appt. I got to play games on an old pc and watch soaps and chat with the ladies collating upstairs (Dad worked as a printing press operator for years) it was fun

Comment

Working...
                      X