Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Month = My 20th Anniversary in Retail/Customer Service!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Month = My 20th Anniversary in Retail/Customer Service!

Yep, like the title says.

Back in May of 1989, I got my first job in the customer service/retail field, an after-school part-time job working at Little Caesar's Pizza. 20 years later, and I'm still in the trenches, dealing with SCs... well, except for the bit where I've been unemployed for the last month, but still!

I'm, uh, gonna go be depressed for awhile.
    "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
    --StanFlouride

I have a cure for your retail depression.

Buy a bottle of your favorite liquor and take 1 shot for every year you've worked in retail, take two shots for every year that was your last year in retail and take three for everytime you got a job in retail after having left retail for good.

Once you wake up you'll be more worried about the hospital bill for the stomach pump than having worked in retail for so long.

Comment

Quoth coldcupofjoe View Post
      I have a cure for your retail depression.

Buy a bottle of your favorite liquor and take 1 shot for every year you've worked in retail, take two shots for every year that was your last year in retail and take three for everytime you got a job in retail after having left retail for good.

Once you wake up you'll be more worried about the hospital bill for the stomach pump than having worked in retail for so long.
      ROTFLOL!

Well, it would help if I drank! But since I don't, I'll just stick with my original plan.
      "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
      --StanFlouride

Comment

Wow. You just made me count and I've officially been in customer service/food service/retail for 16 going on 17 years. If you count the five years I delivered newspapers before that, it's been over twenty. Just...wow.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

OK, so we're all kinda old. Let's see, I've been in the retail/food service industry for 16 years.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Wow, it's been about 18 years for me. My first was a job as a demo-girl at Hypermart. I've sworn off retail so many times it's not even funny. Yet, here I still am.
            Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post
              Wow, it's been about 18 years for me. My first was a job as a demo-girl at Hypermart. I've sworn off retail so many times it's not even funny. Yet, here I still am.
              Oddly enough, I only swore it off one time, in the mid-'90s. I left retail and went to work for a market research firm. I was one of the people that would call you up to do a customer satisfaction survey if you, oh, say, bought a new Volkswagen, or put your BMW into the shop to have it worked on, or sent your computer off to Apple to have it fixed (which is why I will NEVER buy an Apple product if it can be helped at all... I heard too many horror stories! ) or whatever.

I did that for a little over 2 years before deciding that the office politics in a call center are WORSE and returned to retail. Haven't looked back since.
              --StanFlouride

Comment

I worked as a tele-fundraiser once during the off-season at Six Flags but didn't much care for it. I guess I'm not good at guilt tripping people into giving money. Other than that and the two years I worked as a substitute teacher, I've pretty much stuck with retail/customer service type jobs.
                Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

6 years so far, and still hoping to get out. Aiming to get a Job at the big insurer my boy works out. The pay is better.
                  Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Working...
                  X