This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with knives

At my dairy store, we sell banana splits. The knife we use to cut the bananas has turned into a nice rusted brown. This "rust" cleans off easily with a scour pad and comet cleanser. I believe it is the potassium in the bananas the causes the rusting.

My question is, are there any small knives (3 in. blade) that are completely resistant to potassium rusting?
    "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Look for a stainless steel knife. You may need to sharpen it periodically, since stainless steel won't hold an edge as well as a carbon steel knife. (If you only use it on bananas it shouldn't be too often though.)

Comment

Ceramic knives dont rust.

Comment

ivory doesn't rust either...good luck finding an ivory knife though...

Comment

Quoth Erin View Post
          Ceramic knives dont rust.
          Their price also starts in the 3 digits.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

bananas are so soft you can just use a butter-knife...but if you're really desperate for a solution, you can MAKE a knife by carving wood into the basic shape needed and then shellac-ing the hell out of it so that it doesn't splinter or absorb the juice...

Comment

Quoth WhiteRose View Post
              bananas are so soft you can just use a butter-knife...but if you're really desperate for a solution, you can MAKE a knife by carving wood into the basic shape needed and then shellac-ing the hell out of it so that it doesn't splinter or absorb the juice...
              Or just use plastic knives.

The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

or get some olive oil and t the end of the shift after cleaning all the utensils using that to wipe the knife down should keep things from doing that.

Comment

Working...
                X