This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one mistake = total chaos!

As I have stated many times before about my current place of employment, my one boss is not to bright, and one of my two co-workers is also not so bright. the one smart co-worker, who does more than she has to, has to have a day off at some point. those days I always dread if ANYTHING goes wrong... one day... something did.

Mondays are always my busiest days with shipping. UPS doesn't pick up on saturdays or sundays, so we get built up orders for those two days that get dumped on monday. so needless to say, I have quite the tower of shipments by the end of the day. I have a pretty sweet system on shipments aswell....

I get a bag with the product and shipping info form. I then pack up said item, write the last name on the box, and do the other shipments. then I take the stack of shipping info, Use our ups system and print labels, and then use the last names on each box to stick the correct label on it. I started this system last year after one bad bumble on my part. so it has been over a year since my last big mistake... except now.

Apparently 2 customers got mixed up. this could have happened bc I may have mixed the order forms, or my coworker (the not so bright one) put the wrong item in the bags. there is no way to figure out what exactly happened once everything is shipped though, so I just take it in stride.

So my boss freaks out!!! the one person got their order earlier than the other, so she tells us of the mix up. we figure it out, I put in an intercept for the other package and send the other woman a call tag so the right orders go to where they need to go. this whole problem took 5 minutes to fix... done!

the next day I get "sort of" chewed out by my smarter coworker. she tells me she defended me because she knows it's been over a year since I messed up anything of this magnitude (which isn't even that bad) but she thinks it was the other co-workers fault. which makes sense to me because ups never corrected any box sizes, so the forms were correct as far as I was concerned. what ticked me off was that my not so smart boss drilled her (smarter coworker) on the system I use and if it needs to change... what?

Ok.. lets set this straight. he barely even knows what I do or how I do it, but whatever I do... I haven't screwed up for over a year. that's a pretty damn good track record considering how many packages I kick out every single day! and he thinks my system doesn't work anymore because two packages somehow got switched and it may or may not have been my fault? that is stupid beyond reasoning. I'm more mad that the problem got fixed in no more than 5 minutes, he was calm as anything while I showed him (with him over my shoulder) that everything was peachy keen now and no harm was done. hell, the other person getting the package won't even know there was a screw up to begin with! but for 2 days he apparently rants and raves about the screw up that only "kind of" was... sometimes I just want to shake him!

a bonus to this was my not so smart co-worker, who may or may not have screwed up the papers, came over to "prove" she didn't screw up because she "knows" she put the papers in correct.... listen... I'm not saying its your fault or mine, but if you want to play the "its not my fault game" I have paper work and a ups program that backs up my claims far more than your "I just know" claims. I just shrugged her off and said "it could have been any number of things" "well it wasn't me! I know I did it right!" "ok... whatever" (I really don't give a crap...) its fixed... why are we even talking about it after 2 days!? idiocy...

Oh the joy our company would have if there were only one shipping mistake a year. Or one order entry mistake (my dept) or production mistake, etc etc etc.

In manager's defense, he was probably the person talking to the customer (also my dept). It can get pretty hairy when you're trying to soothe an upset customer and reassure them they'll be taken care of. What's more, shipping mistakes cost time to fix and money. Time is taken up by your five minutes, plus the CSR's time talking to the customer, issuing RMA paperwork, potentially issuing credits, etc. This may have not been the case here, but shipping errors (or any errors, for that matter) are time-consuming and cost money. What's more, issuing a call tag and rerouting UPS shipments adds on extra fees. Those nickels and dimes add up. Then again, we have more shipping mistakes than you.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
      Oh the joy our company would have if there were only one shipping mistake a year. Or one order entry mistake (my dept) or production mistake, etc etc etc.

In manager's defense, he was probably the person talking to the customer (also my dept). It can get pretty hairy when you're trying to soothe an upset customer and reassure them they'll be taken care of. What's more, shipping mistakes cost time to fix and money. Time is taken up by your five minutes, plus the CSR's time talking to the customer, issuing RMA paperwork, potentially issuing credits, etc. This may have not been the case here, but shipping errors (or any errors, for that matter) are time-consuming and cost money. What's more, issuing a call tag and rerouting UPS shipments adds on extra fees. Those nickels and dimes add up. Then again, we have more shipping mistakes than you.
      I would understand if I did this more than once, if we actually had a customer service rep, if ups' program didn't do it all automatically and if the order wasn't over 500 bucks and only cost 5 bucks to reroute. nickle and dimes to them. and, again, once in over a year. he's just not that bright. when something goes wrong, he doesn't think back to the last time it went wrong, otherwise he would realize "oh... this hasn't happened... well damn I can't even remember the last time it happened". instead, his mind is constantly in the moment, and his mind goes into "THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME" mode.

Comment

Working...
      X