This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein I Impersonate a Hobo

I have a habit of being early everwhere, including work. Good thing, right? Totally! Unless your employers have a habit of being late, and it's a small company where only your superiors have keys to the office.

So many days, I'd have to wait in the hall outside the office for lack of keys or lockpicking equipment. Usually 15 to 30 minutes, once nearly an hour (I still get paid for when I showed up).

Very annoying, trust me. But after weeks of asking, prodding, and whining, they finally made copies and gave me my own key. No more hobo impressions!
    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

I had to wait outside the game store for the owner quite a few times; typically it wasn't too bad as there would already be a small knot of gamers outside.

Although it was even more annoying having to close without a key...I would need to exit through a fire door which opened onto a poorly-lit loading zone.

Ultimately, I think a regular customer spoke to bossman about his need to trust me to open the store (not open at the posted time=lost sales especially during the holidays), and the local PD talked to him about the cutting-through-a-loading-zone-at-night issue.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 12-13-2009, 05:30 AM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

We get problems like this occasionally at the library - everyone has the keycode to the staff entry gate, but only designated staff members have an actual alarm code and key to the building. And it's happened sometimes that our "keyholders" are late when working the opening shift.....meaning that the rest of us have to sit outside and wait.

Comment

I'm fortunate in that the office is INSIDE a building, despite no heat in the hallway (cheap bastards). But there's also no one around, and if I don't bring a book or something, I'm just sitting like a lump when there is stuff I could be doing.
        "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

At one point I had to wait overnight in a railway station over here - and the station building would not be opened until about an hour after the first train of the day. Fortunately, the subway connecting the platforms was open and relatively warm, so I just had to fend off a handful of genuine hobos (who were interested in what I was reading, actually).

Comment

Working...
          X