This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They want us to work when?!

So we got a notice a couple days ago that was sent to every A&P, Pathmark, Walbaums, and SuperFresh store still in existence (I'm not worried about using the real names because we're not gonna be around that much longer) that we will be open and using normal operating hours on Christmas day. Yes you read that right they want us to open on December 25th and work it like a normal day, when we found out nearly all of us said we weren't gonna show up. Of all the stupid shit the company has done this is by far the dumbest.
    ......../\
    ....../__\
    ..../\...../\
    ../__\../__\

Triple time or GTFO.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Nothing quite like a company that learns nothing from driving its share value from $4.39 to $0.05. Sam, you're doing it wrong.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=GAPTQ&d=v1

Comment

I'm not surprised. I actually saw this coming a few years ago. Even mentioned it at the dinner table a few years ago.

Comment

Meh, every movie theater I've worked at was open like usual on christmas day. Sucks but what can you do besides quit?

Comment

I have volunteered to work holidays in the past. My kids didn't care when we celebrated things and if I made extra cash for it, no worries. I do take issue with being open for a holiday and not asking for volunteers first. I would not like being scheduled to work it, but I wouldn't mind volunteering for it.

Of course, I actually think that stores should be closed on holidays and people should not have to worry about being scheduled for it. I also think that upper management should come and work along with the store level employees. But that is all I will say on that matter as I may be straying too far off topic.

I hope they come to their senses and at least let people volunteer first.

Comment

Hell No!! I wouldn't work on Christmas day even IF I was threatened with termination. That's a special day to be spending with your family.

Comment

Quoth Sarah Valentine View Post
                Yes you read that right they want us to open on December 25th and work it like a normal day.
                And you know what will probably happen? Very few customers will show up. The supermarket where I worked was usually closed on Sundays, but one Sunday just before Christmas, the manager decided to have us open, so people could get what they needed for Christmas dinners. We had so few customers, he ended up closing and sending us all home.

Quoth Shpepper View Post
                I have volunteered to work holidays in the past. My kids didn't care when we celebrated things and if I made extra cash for it, no worries.
                My mom was a nurse when she was still working, and since people don't stop getting sick or injured just because it's a holiday, once every few years she'd have to work that day. When we were kids, she'd try to get the day off so she could spend it with us, but sometimes she had to work that day.

Once we were grown up and out of the house, my mom started volunteering to work that day so that the people who had kids at home could have it off.
                Last edited by MadMike; 11-16-2011, 12:51 AM. Reason: Because I can ;)
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

It is a shame that employees are now seen as disposable devices that can be used up and thrown away like any other asset the company would buy. I'm really proud of the Target guy who started the petition to not open at midnight. They are close to 100k signatures now http://www.change.org/petitions/tell...e-thanksgiving

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                    Once we were grown up and out of the house, my mom started volunteering to work that day so that the people who had kids at home could have it off.
                    My mom is a Nurse Midwife, and always volunteered for Christmas. She's Jewish and my folks are divorced. Dad took us to relatives for Christmas, and mom got thanksgiving.
                    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth Sarah Valentine View Post
                      So we got a notice a couple days ago that was sent to every A&P, Pathmark, Walbaums, and SuperFresh store still in existence (I'm not worried about using the real names because we're not gonna be around that much longer) that we will be open and using normal operating hours on Christmas day. Yes you read that right they want us to open on December 25th and work it like a normal day, when we found out nearly all of us said we weren't gonna show up. Of all the stupid shit the company has done this is by far the dumbest.
                      I wouldn't say that just because you know they'll do something even more stupid. This is A&P, where they've been failing since before your parents were born.

I'm sure my company will have fun picking up A&P's pieces.

Comment

Pfft. C-Store never closes for holidays. Closest we come is closing at 6 instead of 11 on Christmas Eve. This Christmas I get to bust my ass getting to my sisters, doing the Christmas thing with the family, and getting back in time to work a four hour shift from 7 to 11. Yup. Good thing I'll be paid time and a half for those four hours! Also, don't be so sure it won't be busy. Christmas, believe it or not, is our busiest day every year. No one else is open, which means EVERYONE stops at C-Store!
                        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I remember being surprised last year that our whole call center actually closed on Christmas Day. It's the only day the whole place closes. On most holidays, either the client dictates whether or not to let the people who take their calls take the day off, or we do "shift bids" where everyone has the day off by default but people can sign up for shifts for extra money, and then if they don't get enough volunteers they start picking people to work according to reverse seniority. High End Home Store is giving us Thanksgiving Day off...but I'm off Thursdays anyway. Not sure if I qualify for holiday pay if it's my usual day off.
                          "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Stores seem very desperate this holiday season, what with opening at 10pm Thanksgiving night for Black Friday, etc etc. Yesterday I went to the Dollar Store and saw signs saying they'll be open Thanksgiving day. The DOLLAR STORE wtf? At least a grocer I can buy last-minute pie or something, I don't get it.
                            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I'm working ALL the holidays this season. Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Day, and New Year's Eve and Day. Hooray!!! </sarcasm>
                              Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X