Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Give Thanks or Else! (Or, "I OD'ed on Mice!")

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give Thanks or Else! (Or, "I OD'ed on Mice!")

Several months back, we got some new blood in the human resources department here at Pit of Despair Manufacturing, Inc. This was because the upper management decided that the reason morale is so low at the plant must be because of H.R. Thus, once the new H.R. lady (an utterly joyless chimpanzee -- but she came to us well-recommended) was ensconced, one of her first acts was the establish the "morale committee."

The point of this committee was to seek out ways to make working at Pit of Despair more enjoyable. The problem with even trying is that most of the work at the factory, at any factory, is mindless drudge work where you are reduced to a cog in a machine and know it. This also occurred in an atmosphere where some departments have been working overtime since April and forced overtime since June when they dared to complain about the amount of overtime they were working in the springtime.

Anyway, the morale committee's latest and greatest suggestion on ways to make the Pit of Despair a happy funfest was for each shift to hold a Thanksgiving dinner.

A note -- my shift is known for holding dinners and celebrations. We used to do it for individual birthdays, then switched to holding one every month so nobody would feel left out. We even have theme dinners. People who get to be known for their specialties, such as myself with cheesecake and chai tea cake, will be asked to make their specialties every time. It's a great way to build camaraderie and make friends.

H.R and the morale committee are unclear on this concept though. They did not suggest that each shift hold a dinner. They commanded it. One of the office staff will be ordering catered turkey and stuffing for each shift -- at a cost of $150 per shift.

The problem I have with this is that people will hold a dinner because they want to, not because they have been ordered to by management. Furthermore, one would think that if you have been ordered to hold a dinner, and if someone is offering to provide the centerpiece of the meal, that would be offered gratis. Or am I alone in thinking that?

The managers on my shift refused the $150 turkey, much to the consternation of the upper management, H.R. and the morale committee. We also refused to hold our dinner on our appointed day, and held it instead this past Monday. Hell, we got two turkeys and cooked another one last night, and enjoyed with the leftovers from the first night.

And this leads me to the mice... Just as I'm known for cheesecake and chai tea cake, one of my other coworkers is known for her chocolate mice. They come in two varieties: peanut butter and cherry. To hear her tell it, they're easy to make, albeit time-consuming. I loved the peanut butter ones and ate them til I got sick both nights.

Behold!

Anyway, to sum this up... We were ordered to hold a celebration, and were further ordered to pay for it, all in the name of improving morale. Does this make the slightest bit of sense to anyone?
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 11-23-2011, 09:16 PM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

How does that improve morale in any way if it's forced? That would make morale lower than it is.

Comment

I remember hearing of a decadent Roman dish:

Small dormice boiled in (olive) oil until crisp, dipped in honey and rolled in toasted sesame seeds.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

The beatings shall continue until moral improves!

Comment

Chai...tea..cake?

Can you link to a recipe or something? Pleeeeeeease?

And those mice are too sweet to consume.

Almost.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

At the Funny Farm where I work, the management used to pay for a Christmas party for all employees. The year before I was hired I heard they rented a huge dining hall. The year wherein I was hired the party was held on the premises, but still with good food and entertaining.

This year? Small dinner at a gastro pub, and oh btw - you have to pay admission. Double the price if you're a temp or hired through an external company.
            No need to tell that the only folks present at the party will be within Management. The rest of us will arrange a potluck dinner within the single departments.
            A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

It takes all the fun out of it when it's forced. The mice do look good, almost too cute to eat.
              Random conversation:
              Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
              DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

If they lightened up and didn't force the dinners and such, I think it would make for better morale.
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

This says it all:

Click image for larger version

Name:	18457_strip.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	2030004
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                    Chai...tea..cake?

Can you link to a recipe or something? Pleeeeeeease?
                    Dunno about Lvl_9_Gazebo but this is the recipe I use.
                    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

OMG, cute!
                      "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                      - H. Beam Piper

Comment

I love Dilbert.

This sort of nonsense is a part of the mentality that says a corporation can (and should) control not only its employees' actions but their feelings as well (but without it costing the company any money, of course!) Managers of this mentality just don't grasp the fact that if co-workers want to hang out/celebrate together, they will. And if they don't, making it mandatory is only going to result in a sudden and unexplained flu attack throughout the department on the day of the alleged festivities.

Comment

I love those mice, they are cute
                          if i only knew where to find the recipy for them.

Comment

Hey, I recognize those mice. I make the cherry version every year. Your coworker is right, they are easy to make, but time consuming. I'm not really sure what goes into the peanut butter ones, but if anyone wants the cherry version I might be persuaded via PM

Comment

It could be worse. My company's idea of improving morale is to send every employee a small candy cane just before the end of the year. No parties. No end of year bonus. Just a candy cane.

Comment

Working...
                              X