This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part-timer blues

You know the loophole, right? If a person doesn't work more than a certain number of hours per week, the company doesn't have to pay them benefits. I looooooove working for the toy store, but the fact that the company takes advantage of this skeezy loophole, hiring ten part-timers rather than five full-timers, grinds my gears.

Granted, it's a toy store, so the amount of business varies hugely with the season, and I guess if they hired full-timers a lot of them would just sit around doing nothing all year. I don't know if any of the long-term non-seasonal workers are part time; I know of two managers plus one very experienced supervisor who get lots of hours. We'll see what happens after Christmas.

Keep in mind that minimum wage in Ontario is $10.25 an hour. If I had full-time minimum wage I'd be laughing.

Actually, there are, I'm discovering, retail stores that want to hire full time staff. A men's clothing store wants a full-time cashier who has fashion experience (which I don't). And there's a wine store that is looking for someone full-time. I sent them a resume and I'll give them a call this afternoon after work. My first choice would be to work full-time for the toy store, but if that doesn't happen I'll look for something full-time elsewhere.

Put an app in for the clothing store anyway; giving them the experience you have that is likely to be relevant. You never know: you might be the best option they get after all.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

You might be surprised at how much fashion knowledge you have. Depending on the type of clothing, you may have more than enough personal experience.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

The department store I used to work for was really, really bad about that.

There were only a tiny number of full time employees. Basically 1 or 2 for each department manager, and then each department would have a dozen or so part-timers.

I think they couldn't have us work more than 30 hours in a week, but I don't recall right offhand. Of course, since we were part time we got virtually no benefits, and no regular schedule or fixed day off. We'd work 5 or 6 days a week for only 5 or 6 hours one week, or work two or three 8-hour shifts another week. On Black Friday they had us work 12+ hours. . .and still come for 4 hours a day for another 4 days. . .then suddenly we'd get only 12 or 14 hours a week sometimes.

It was hell, with low pay. I remember being so happy when I finally got a full-time job, because even weak benefits were better than what I had, and I could finally get things like vacation and sick time, and a regular schedule.

Comment

Working...
        X