Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What I Get For Going In On My Day Off...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I Get For Going In On My Day Off...

Today was my day off...well, it was supposed to be. The boss called around eleven this morning. As soon as she said "I hate to bother you, Bren, but..." I knew what was coming. I ended up working four to eleven tonight. My reward? ATM went down, credit cards went down, pumps decided to go all screwed up and spastic on me. Fun times. All of this, on a crazy busy Saturday night...which also happened to be the night of the drawing for that $320 million Powerball prize. Yeah. Then, to top it off, boss called me at the store at about ten minutes to closing, to tell me gas prices had gone down a whole two cents. Then she had the audacity to GIGGLE AT ME when I asked if it was really necessary to change them that close to closing. I told her they must've changed after I came in to work, and she decided we could pretend not to know for the night. Now? Now I'm going to sit here and put my feet up, and pray like crazy I get the next two days off like I'm supposed to! Gah!
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Crossing my fingers for you!

Whatever else you do, DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE!!!!

Comment

Haha thanks. It's a bit of a Catch 22 for me though... If I don't answer my phone, I could get in trouble with the higher-ups (Yes, C-Store supervisors are like that about AMs answering phones)...but if I DO answer, I could get called in. Phone hasn't rang yet, knock on wood!

Comment

But ... but ... what if you just happen to be out when the phone rings? Because otherwise, of course, you certainly would have answered it ...

Comment

"What? Who's there? My battery's going...what was that...? Sorry, can't hear..." *click*

Well, it's a nice fantasy, anyway...
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Wow. I feel lucky that my manager won't take it badly if I refuse to come in. I rarely get a Saturday off, for example, so if I have one free then naturally, I want to go out. When there's a choice between a night down the pub with my friends and being bored to tears sitting behind a till... well, let's just say that the pub always wins. XD
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
              But ... but ... what if you just happen to be out when the phone rings? Because otherwise, of course, you certainly would have answered it ...
              Exactly. They don't know if your phone is dead or you're not home. Well, unless they're watching your house, which would be a whole other problem.

When we were setting up a whole new system at my current job, I was always getting calls from my manager asking me to come in after hours or on the weekend. I'd try to avoid the calls, but my stupid ex wasn't helping. The phone would ring, and I'd intend to screen it, and I'd tell her, "Don't answer it!" So naturally, she'd pick it up anyway. As she was starting to reach for it, I'd tell her, "I'm not here!" So of course, she'd tell them, "Yes, he's right here."

That's just one of many reasons I'm glad to be rid of her.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                Wow. I feel lucky that my manager won't take it badly if I refuse to come in. I rarely get a Saturday off, for example, so if I have one free then naturally, I want to go out. When there's a choice between a night down the pub with my friends and being bored to tears sitting behind a till... well, let's just say that the pub always wins. XD
                Or, as a character of mine who worked in a garage put it: "Hmm. Work on an asshole's car, or take my lunch break. ...Pass the ketchup, please."
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I bet you're glad some sucker in NJ won it all to his/her self...

(I work at a c-store/gas station, that sells powerball tickets. The machine is very nifty and can tell me where the jackpot winners were)
                  If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                    Then, to top it off, boss called me at the store at about ten minutes to closing, to tell me gas prices had gone down a whole two cents. Then she had the audacity to GIGGLE AT ME when I asked if it was really necessary to change them that close to closing.
                    I'm in the "leave it until after closing" camp. It avoids having to do an additional task while you're already run off your feet by customers, avoids the wrath of SCs who see the price drop right after they finish filling their tank, and the station gets to collect a per gallon "idiot tax" from people who didn't bother checking the prices at your station vs. across the street.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I mentioned the credit cards going down to my supervisor the other day. Her response? "Oh, that was a corporate wide thing. Nothing we could do about it." Really? Just...REALLY? Would've been nice to know that when it happened!

Comment

Next time have them pay you $20 to come in. If they refuse, then say, "then you must not need me THAT badly."

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                          Haha thanks. It's a bit of a Catch 22 for me though... If I don't answer my phone, I could get in trouble with the higher-ups (Yes, C-Store supervisors are like that about AMs answering phones)...but if I DO answer, I could get called in. Phone hasn't rang yet, knock on wood!

On your personal phone your higher ups expect you to answer? Hell to the No. Or is it store phone? I never answer my phone on my days off. Ever.
                          NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

Yes, kitten, on my personal phone. My current manager, back when she was an AM at the store we both came from (she trained me way back when) got in trouble for not answering hers a couple of times. It's basically considered part of my job to have to answer my phone when work calls. On the other hand, I do get to write down some of those calls and get paid for them...not that I get a lot, considering none last more than five minutes, but still...

Comment

I used to be in the same position as Bren.

It was no fun, believe me, to have to babysit my phone on my supposed days off, waiting for the green or red light "Do I or don't I?" game, but if I didn't answer, my phone would flood with calls anyway, and if that whole day went by without my response, I would be written up. Or fired.
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                              X