This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excuse me . . . GTFO

This afternoon, my Tae Kwon Do school had black belt testing. This happens only 3 times a year. Several good friends of mine were testing for second dan, so me and some other friends were there to cheer them on (cheering is encouraged in everything but forms). This will be important later.

Testing goes very smoothly, and our friends test well. Everyone is happy and excited when everything is said and done. It's traditional for us to go out to dinner after testing (we wrapped up a little before 7pm), so we decided on the Hot Pepper, which was right across the street from where testing took place.

It's packed. It's 1) a Saturday night, and 2) Market. The High Point Furniture Market happens twice a year, a TON of people show up for a week to buy furniture for showrooms across the nation. You can't get a hotel room within 50 miles of High Point, and moderately prices restaurants are also especially busy. We hadn't thought of that, especially since we had a big group. There were about 14 of us in all.

We didn't wait long for our tables, to our surprise. We had a great time. Food was good, service good. We were there a couple of hours. About half the group left after about an hour, and the rest of us stuck around to finish our drinks and have some good conversation. Of course, our major topic of conversation was the testing: sparring, forms, and so on.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see a woman approaching us, and in a loud voice say, "EXCUSE ME!" Her body language was aggressive, her tone confrontational. Surprised I turned towards her, but before she or I could say anything, one of the wait staff intercepted her and redirected her back to the lobby area (near where we were sitting).

Waiter: I told you! These people are paying customers, and we will not ask them to leave for you. We are working on getting your table ready.

Woman: arglebarlege blarg arglebarble blah This is ridiculous!

Apparently, she'd been complaining for awhile about not being seated, and had a rather large party of her own. She'd demanded we be asked to vacate so her party could be seated where we were, and the staff had refused. She decided to take matters into her own hands and demand personally that we leave.

Clearly she hadn't been paying attention to the topic of our conversation
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Double EW points to her if any of your friends were still wearing their Gi.
    I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

If your group consisted of several tables being put together, I can understand the restaurant staff asking (nicely!) for you to consolidate the group and free up one of the spare tables.

But that's for the restaurant to ask, not some self-serving demanding customer.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

She's bitching over having to wait for a table during the Furniture Market?????

Anyone with more than 1 functioning brain cell in this area KNOWS you can't find anyplace with less than an hour wait in the entire TRIAD region of NC during the High Point Furniture Market!!! Restaurants are backed up with lines out the door not only in High Point, but also Winston-Salem and Greensboro.

It was even busy in Kernersville last night, as my BF and I decided to go to our usual seafood place. There were 4 of us altogether (including his former SIL and his caretaker) so not a big group at all. Still had to wait a few minutes for a table, though, but nothing like what we'd had to do if we'd went to HP.

Wonder if that "lady" in the OP was from out of town . . .
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
          Clearly she hadn't been paying attention to the topic of our conversation
          Develops mental image of EW + party macrame'd into living tables, chairs and footstools...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
            This is why nobody that lives here goes out to eat during Balloon Fiesta!
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
              Double EW points to her if any of your friends were still wearing their Gi.
              Dobuk in our martial art. But no, we'd changed back into regular clothing.

Quoth Seshat View Post
              If your group consisted of several tables being put together, I can understand the restaurant staff asking (nicely!) for you to consolidate the group and free up one of the spare tables.
              Actually, by this point some of our group had left, and we self consolidated from four tables to two. We would have been happy to readjust things if asked. We weren't asked. Other than this lady's group, there wasn't a wait, and clearly the staff didn't feel the need to rush us.

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post

Wonder if that "lady" in the OP was from out of town . . .
              I know She was pretty clueless.

Well, I have an update. I thought over what happened, and it occurred to me that the EW might try to make trouble for the employees. After talking it over with EE, I decided to go back to the restaurant this afternoon and talk to the manager.

She was aware of the situation. She told me the staff had been trying to seat her for while. She was there with some teens celebrating something. First her party was 8, then 20, then 12. She couldn't seem to make up her mind. It mattered: they were trying to figure out what area would work best for her group, and she kept changing things.

They finally seated her and her group on the other side of the restaurant. It was smaller than the area we were in, but they all seemed to fit.

Anyway, the manager was appreciative of my visit and seemed to understand the situation.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Sounds like it would have been a good time to order another round just to make her wait longer.
                "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

I'd order more food, nurse it slowly in full view of the bitch, and then immediately inform the staff you're taking home leftovers at the precise moment they told her her table was ready.

Comment

Working...
                  X