This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Race Card!

Putting this here because it didn't happen at work.

Background: I happen to be whiter than rice (my background, as far as I know, is French / Italian with a sprinkle of German, but the Italian bit doesn't really show in my case...I don't have the olive skin that many Sicilians have, I look either French or German). The other day I had to take a bus route I don't normally take, which boarded at a station I don't normally frequent, because of maintenance shutting down part of my train commute to work. Now part of this may be a fail on my part just because I'm not familiar with this route. I have, however, been riding buses and trains in this city for two years, so I'm not a total novice.

Ok so I'm at the bus stop. This stop is part of a MAJOR hub which (on normal days) serves over 10 routes as well as the light rail. My bus pulls up and the 15 or so people who are waiting there just stare at it. Given this stop serves multiple routes, I assume they are waiting for a different bus. There's a guy with a walker, but he's also not even moving toward the bus (if he had been I'd have let him go first...with a husband in a wheelchair I get the challenges the disabled face).

So I hop on the bus, show my pass, and sit down. Next on is a Latina woman (this will be important later) who walks up to me and says "That was VERY disrespectful!" So I assume the proper thing to do at this stop is just stand there until everyone else decides to stop making moon eyes at the bus and actually board? Every other route I've been on, you get on when the doors open.

I inform her my husband is in a wheelchair and I know about problems the disabled have. She keeps going, I try to explain (though in more heated terms than I should) that nobody was getting on the bus and I didn't think they wanted this route.

She then fires back with "White girls...blah blah blah" (won't repeat the rest here). Now, if I'd had my head together, I'd have answered "Porque crees estoy racista solo porque soy blanca? (Spanish for "why do you think I'm racist just because I'm white?")

My Spanish is far from perfect but our head housekeeper at the hotel says my pronunciation is excellent. That probably would have stopped her in her tracks. But I didn't think of it. I grew up hearing stories about the bus boycotts in the southern United States. I had a picture of Martin Luther King on the wall of my childhood bedroom. I read Roots at age 14 and devoured stories and movies of the Underground Railroad. I am related to Latinos (first by marriage via my aunt, then by blood via my cousins). I'm involved with several social justice communities online. I've tutored people from Saudi Arabia, Vietnam, and served hotel guests from all over the world and treated them all with respect. At the age of 10, I told off my grandfather when he used the N word.

I've never been called racist before. It was kind of a shock.
    Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 06-27-2016, 06:00 PM.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Yeah over here when the bus doors open you get the eff on or it's bound to pull away without you. Bus driver don't wait for anyone.
    The Latina just sounded like she had a fly in her butt and was itching to go off on someone.
    I have very darkly tanned skin and dark hair, people mistake me for Hispanic all the time. Then they get upset when I don't speak Spanish. Oh I took some classes in high school but my pronunciation is bad. :\
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

The racist one wasn't you. Some people think that everyone is looking down on them because of their race so they judge everyone else by race.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
        Yeah over here when the bus doors open you get the eff on or it's bound to pull away without you. Bus driver don't wait for anyone.
        The Latina just sounded like she had a fly in her butt and was itching to go off on someone.
        I have very darkly tanned skin and dark hair, people mistake me for Hispanic all the time. Then they get upset when I don't speak Spanish. Oh I took some classes in high school but my pronunciation is bad. :\
        One of the managers at my former job was from Morocco. She'd get that ALL the time. Colorado has a huge Spanish-speaking population, but when told "oh you look Hispanic" she'd say "No, YOU look Arab. We were there first."
        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I had A guy call me a racist for calling him out for parking in the firelane infront of the door.
          I answered him I didn't know asshole counted at a race loud enf that people in the store heard me and clapped.
          AkaiKitsune
          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
            I had A guy call me a racist for calling him out for parking in the firelane infront of the door.
            I answered him I didn't know asshole counted at a race loud enf that people in the store heard me and clapped.
            Dammit, where's the LIKE button?!
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I was called Racist by a boss for telling a coerker he shouldn't say "All White people need to die" and "Kill all the White people"

That didn't go over very well.

Comment

When I was a medical clinic receptionist had a patient who claimed I refused to give him an immediate appointment because he was black. I had given him an appointment for right after lunch (this took place right before lunch), and he'd have to wait an hour.

I didn't even bother trying to argue; I got our boss, an Air Force lieutenant colonel who was one of the best bosses I've ever worked for. He got one of the sergeants and invited the patient into his office, and closed the door. They were in there quite a while. I later heard that the colonel chewed the patient up one side and down the other, and when they finally emerged the sergeant who had been in there told me he would see to the patient's treatment, and the patient had been instructed to not say a word to me, not even "Good morning." My boss told me later that he knew I wouldn't do anything like that, so he called it the lie that it was. I still would have liked to have been privy to that conversation, as my boss was cool, but you did not mess with his subordinates.

Comment

You just haven't learned yet to speak back to someone who's racist but wants to think that it's everyone else who is so they can feel superior in their own race.

I always try and discriminate against their beliefs, not their race.

Comment

I only discriminate against deliberately stupid people.

I've had the race card pulled on me a few times in the past... Always by someone who's trying to pull a fast one on me.
                    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I'm honestly surprised that in 7 years in retail I've never had it pulled on me. I don't even know how I'd respond. I'd like to think I would probably just go "ok" shrug and move onto the next customer.
                      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I feel for you. I got blasted for using the word "crazy," as in "Am I crazy, but...?" She says "Please refrain from usingAbleist language, and then I will read your post." I had no idea, and I will seriousy think about it.

Then I just couldn't handle it. She doesn't know what experience I have with mental health, my Grandpa and Great uncle's schizophrenia (great uncle went to Oregon State hospita; in the 60's, the one fro, "Over the Cuckoo's Nest." Mom's got PTSD and depression. sometimes I wonder if I'm "crazy." It was kind of a humorous outlet to sadness. Gallows humor. Of course I don't think everyone who has a mental illness is "less than" I really learned that from my college roommate, who I saw at my work--she had joined staff. We had a long talk in a break room. she told me that being on her medication was like hanging off the edge of a buiding, and that it's like a relief to just let go...meaning she stops her meds some times. She called it "being crazy." Later on Katy went missing. She was at Harborview, thank "Bob."

This... this undergrad, (sorry for my French), assumed leadership and wanted everyone to know her rules apply. It was like she made up all of her infractions. Another way of making others feel very guilty.

Comment

I've had people pull the race card on me back in the days when I attended post-secondary school. An ex-friend of mine pulled it on me because of a severe falling out, for example.

The other one is hilarious. I ignored my classmate because he was bothering me, and you know what he said? "It's because I'm white, right? I'm white!" He wasn't angry, just stating it as a matter of fact kind of way.

Yeah, a white guy pulled the race card on me because he's white and I'm not.
                          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I had it pulled on me one time. Guy came in and asked if we had any positions open on our overnight crew. We didn't have an overnight crew. Told him that, he was fine with it and left. His wife came screaming in, calling me racist because I wouldn't let him apply for our overnight crew...that we didn't have.
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Last time someone pulled the race card where I work and demanded to see a manager, I got Sasha, my black co-worker, to pretend to be the manager and go talk to the guy. He couldn't run out the door fast enough.
                              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                              X