This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The phone tree is a LIE!

When you call The Resort, you get an automated greeting that clearly states: "Thank you for calling [The Resort], a premier seaside destination! For directions, press 1..." etc etc.

I'm trying to understand the thought process of someone who is clearly not trying to reach The Resort who calls us, gets that automated message, and determinedly continues to mash buttons to get through to a person anyway.

Today I took a phone call:
    Me: "Guest services, bhskittykatt speaking. How may I assist you?"
    Clueless: "Do you guys do welding certifications?"

I asked all my coworkers just to be sure. As far as we are all aware, we don't offer welding certifications at the resort.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

They meant wedding certifications
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

People don't listen to a phone tree. When working for Global Chocolate, I'd routinely get people looking for pretty much everything but us. Car rentals, banking, pizza delivery... you name it. In order to get to me, they had to go through at least 4 levels of voice response system, or at the very least talk to the receptionist. And I know she always said the name of the company very clearly...
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

"Everyone" knows that the fastest way to get to a human operator is to mash 0 until something that sounds like a human answers. At least this is the complaint I "heard" when I was standing at the window of some place or another and the "everyone" in question was whining that they "didn't have time to listen to the computer! It's YOUR FAULT I CALLED THE WRONG COMPANY!!"

If ever I become a business owner, I will change it so that mashing 0 will put you on a three hour loop of the most annoying hold music ever.. interspersed with the interruption of "Thank you for old, your call is important to us.. blah, blah, blah..."
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

If ever I become a business owner, I will change it so that mashing 0 will put you on a three hour loop of the most annoying hold music ever.
          Clint Holmes and that bloody awful playground song...? NOOOO, anything but that!!!

We have that kind of system at work, too, with the phone tree, and it never fails to amaze me when a person says they can't figure out how to contact ANOTHER dept. whose number is given on our hold message (because we get their calls all the time). If you just LISTEN to the message, it will tell you what to do!
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I linked to the Ultimate Phone Tree a while back...

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
              If ever I become a business owner, I will change it so that mashing 0 will put you on a three hour loop of the most annoying hold music ever.. interspersed with the interruption of "Thank you for old, your call is important to us.. blah, blah, blah..."
              Obligatory gameplay footage: https://youtu.be/AoHg7M9u638?t=1m32s

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                Or maybe send them to Extension 666?
                "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

That was the subject of the thread that dialysis linked to in the post tow in front of yours...
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                    That was the subject of the thread that dialysis linked to in the post tow in front of yours...
                    My kidneys are still working, last I checked.

(I love shpiel checkers)

Comment

DYAC!!!!! .
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                      X