Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You might wanna bone up on the scanning/pricing laws...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You might wanna bone up on the scanning/pricing laws...

I bought an item at my store that rang up WAY more than it should have...long story short, when we were first stocking the shelves someone had broken up 4-packs of those tiny assorted sauce jars thinking that the brown cardstock packaging was just for shipping (the logo and barcode on the package didn't clue you in?). J was able to put them in the system as individual items for $2 apiece and printed a separate barcode sticker and shelf tag.

I'd bought one last week, and at the time hadn't noticed that it rang up at the price of the entire 4-pack ($17 and change). I did catch the mistake this morning while going through and organizing/wrapping presents, I had to go down there today to get my check anyway so decided to take it with.

At first the guest service cashier didn't know what I was asking, and thought I was trying to pull a fast one (for which I couldn't blame her initially--a 4-pack was on my receipt but I only had one jar although it was stickered as $2). All I wanted was a credit for the difference, and had to get two managers involved (neither of which was the grocery manager who knew the problem).

State pricing law mandates that in the case of a register scan error, the customer gets the item for free if it is under $10; so I should have gotten a credit for the original $17 and change plus keep the one sauce (that wasn't scanning anyway).

I got a full refund but the cashier never gave the single sauce back, and even after politely explaining the law I was told by the FE manager (who knows me!) "you returned it, so we need it back."

I didn't have the time to debate things further so had to leave. At least I got the merch credit, and I'll be working tomorrow so if that sauce is still on the shelf I'll let J know what happened and see if he'll let me keep it. If not, no huge deal but that was part of a present...and a yummy-looking sauce.

(I now know what happened--the 'new' SKU just has a 1 on the end, and the new barcode doesn't scan so the original cashier must have keyed it in manually and missed the extra digit. Which leads me to ask--if all the other single sauces don't scan, how many other people were overcharged and never noticed?)
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

The only scanning and pricing law I know of is that items that don't scan are free.

*ducks for cover *
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
      The only scanning and pricing law I know of is that items that don't scan are free.
      That's what should have happened in this case (refund for the mistaken item, and I keep the actual item). I got the refund but not the sauce back...while I'm not out any money at all it's annoying, as it was part of a carefully-planned present and now I have to find something else that matches the theme four days before I leave.

This law is set by the state, and intended to prevent register errors...it might be a good idea for me to discuss this with J and make sure that individual items like this in future have a completely distinct SKU so it's unlikely to be mistaken for the more expensive one. Sill curious how many others rang up at full price (we had something like 30 of the single ones on the shelf).
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
      X