This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which I encounter a sucky shop assistant

This happened a little while ago, when I was shopping for presents. My youngest niece had her heart set on a toy of her favourite character of her favourite cartoon series, so I went to a store to get it. Said store didn't have any in stock, but the shop assistant promised to order one and have it instore on the same day an hour before close. I decide to finish my present shopping and drop back and collect the toy afterwards. Note: I made sure that I put down all the details, including which character I wanted and everything important.

When I dropped in to collect the toy that I'd ordered, it was the wrong one. Now, at this point I was mildly irritated, given that I'd spent ages telling the girl everything necessary, but her remark after I pointed out that it was the wrong character sparked me into absolute annoyance.

"It doesn't matter," she said dismissively. "I bet she won't even know the difference."

Um, my niece has watched this cartoon series from the very first episode, and the character she loves the best she certainly can tell apart from the other characters. She's obsessed with him. The toy that the store had ordered was one of the female characters and my niece would be very upset should she get it instead of the toy of the character she wanted. Coldly, but keeping my temper and staying civil, I told the shop assistant that it was the wrong one and that I wanted a refund. Grudgingly, she gave it and I walked out the store. I was able to buy the correct toy in a different shop the next day.

Look, I understand that this is a stressful time of the year and that mistakes happen. However, if you do make such a mistake, then hold your hands up, apologise and try and put it right. Had the shop assistant offered to get the correct toy out for me the next day, I'd have been satisfied with that; after all, cuz I started shopping early in the month, I still had plenty of time to get all my presents. But to say that, and be so rude... well, I'm not giving a pass for that.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

I'm not really defending her, but if one hasn't watched the show in question might think that all of the characters are the same. I know someone who once gave her Star Trek obsessed great-nephew a Storm Trooper figurine for his 8th birthday.

She still shouldn't have been so rude about it. You ordered a blue character and got a red one instead. Even if your niece wouldn't know the difference, you did and you were the one paying for it.

Comment

it doesn't matter whether the kid would know or not, it matters because you paid for a product and they ordered something else.
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
        I'm not really defending her, but if one hasn't watched the show in question might think that all of the characters are the same. I know someone who once gave her Star Trek obsessed great-nephew a Storm Trooper figurine for his 8th birthday.
        A Storm Trooper? A Cylon Centurion or a Dalek would have been much more appropriate. Or possibly a scale model of an M61A1 rotary cannon - after all, it IS a Vulcan.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I work in a place where people lose their minds if an item is the tiniest shade different from what they want. And I don't even try to persuade them that nobody but them can tell the difference, because what's the point? They can see a difference, and I'm not there to argue with them. So if the item is actually a completely different thing? Yeah, that's a problem.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I wonder whether there were other orders for toys from that cartoon series that day, and that assistant set up another customer for a child's meltdown on Christmas.

Comment

For some reason I'm thinking the reaction had nothing to do with the shop assistant trying to cover up her mistake. The reason? Because that would involve actually acknowledging there was a mistake.

This type of attitude bugs me, the "so what, I'm sure they won't notice" about a wrong color, or damage to an item, etc. If something is wrong, then own up to it.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                For some reason I'm thinking the reaction had nothing to do with the shop assistant trying to cover up her mistake. The reason? Because that would involve actually acknowledging there was a mistake.

This type of attitude bugs me, the "so what, I'm sure they won't notice" about a wrong color, or damage to an item, etc. If something is wrong, then own up to it.
                Exactly that. In any case, my niece would notice, but that's not the point. I ordered an item, it was wrong, end of story.

If anyone's interested, this is the cartoon series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAW_Patrol

This is my niece's favourite character: http://www.pawpatrollive.com/characters/zuma

This is the character that the shop assistant tried to palm off on me: http://www.pawpatrollive.com/characters/skye

So yeah, there's a world of difference.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Oh my god. I just have to say that show looks ADORABLE. Like, I want to watch it now. I love how they use all different breeds (including a mutt!)

Though I cringed at the Cockapoo. I'm just really tired of all the portmanteau dog breed names (working at a vet I get all of them. Cockapoo, Multipoo, maltachi, Chipoo, Pugapoo. No people, your dogs are mutts, I'm sorry to break it to you lol.)
                  My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                  It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                    Oh my god. I just have to say that show looks ADORABLE. Like, I want to watch it now. I love how they use all different breeds (including a mutt!)

Though I cringed at the Cockapoo. I'm just really tired of all the portmanteau dog breed names (working at a vet I get all of them. Cockapoo, Multipoo, maltachi, Chipoo, Pugapoo. No people, your dogs are mutts, I'm sorry to break it to you lol.)
                    Yeah, way I see it, if the breed isn't recognised by the Kennel Club, then it's not a breed and your dog is a mongrel.
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

I want to know how Skye is a seven year old puppy, and not a grown dog, but that's what I get for looking at something directed at kids.

I feel like people want pure-bred dogs, so they give fancy names to mixes to sound impressive. Dogs are awesome, period. My parents have never paid for a dog, but somehow ended up with pure-breeds. I get frustrated with people who insist on a popular breed. An animal shouldn't be a fashion accessory, imo. If I had the time, and could pick a dog, look how adorable this breed is! Omg. Growing up I always wanted a border collie, but now I think I shouldn't get a dog that's smarter than I am...
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                        ... I shouldn't get a dog that's smarter than I am...
                        Gopher it! You can have a thinking brain dog, like my younger daughter the science teacher, who is pawned by her mentor's Corgi.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                          There are only 2 good reasons I can think of for caring about a crossbreed's* ancestry;

1) to keep an eye out for known breed problems from overbreeding, e.g. German Shepherds' dodgy hips, squashed-face breeds' breathing issues which often need surgical intervention, floppy-eared breeds' tendency towards ear canal infections, etc. Ruddy Kennel Club.
                          2) to have an idea what personality traits the dog might have inherited, e.g. "hunting aid" breeds such as labradors, retrievers and poodles were bred to be active and intelligent, so they can get bored and destructive if they're not kept active and entertained.**

* 2 distinct breeds are a crossbreed. 3 or more is a mutt, or my personal favourite, a "Heinz 57".

** My aunt's family once got ill enough all they could manage was changing their black lab's food and water and leaving open the door to their (large) garden for her. She got bored and ate the knobs off the tumble dryer, plus the rubber seal in the door...!
                          Last edited by greek_jester; 12-27-2016, 11:31 PM.
                          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                            2) to have an idea what personality traits the dog might have inherited, e.g. "hunting aid" breeds such as labradors, retrievers and poodles were bred to be active and intelligent, so they can get bored and destructive if they're not kept active and entertained.**

** My aunt's family once got ill enough all they could manage was changing their black lab's food and water and leaving open the door to their (large) garden for her. She got bored and ate the knobs off the tumble dryer, plus the rubber seal in the door...!
                            Years ago, my uncle had a cocker spaniel, nice dog, not that bright, very high strung.
                            One day while getting ready for work, uncle accidentally locked the dog in a room, rather than outside of the room as normal.

After an 8 or 9 hour work shift, uncle comes home to dog happily greeting him at the door, front paws a bloody mess, bloody paw prints all over the place (on a white/very light coloured carpet), and a dog sized hole in the bottom of the bedroom door.

Comment

Quoth Sakka View Post
                              After an 8 or 9 hour work shift, uncle comes home to dog happily greeting him at the door, front paws a bloody mess, bloody paw prints all over the place (on a white/very light coloured carpet), and a dog sized hole in the bottom of the bedroom door.
                              Your uncle had a dog and a light coloured carpet? BAD combination...! Also, poor dog. 8-9 hour shift with no company? I hope there was a doggie-door for when the dog wasn't accidentally trapped in a bedroom.
                              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Working...
                              X