This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And They Say To Keep PETS On Leashes

May not be as humorous as I usually try to be. I'm still sort of angry about this one. People, please teach your kids about boundaries and respect for other people's property.

I took one of my cats, Herbie, to the vet today for a routine checkup. Herbie always garners a fair amount of attention wherever he goes just because of how massive he is -- not fat, but incredibly long-legged and slinky, with the blunt, wide face reminiscent of one of the larger feline families. We have a carrier intended for a medium-sized dog, and Herbie cannot lay out comfortably in it. Thus, whenever I have to take him from the vet, he always ends up being the subject of intense speculation and incredulity. One man offered me two hundred dollars for him.

Anyway, so I'm sitting there with the carrier on the floor at my feet, waiting to be called, and Herbie is doing his Herbie things, which include (but are not limited to) purring at nothing, staring blankly into space, and being fucking huge, which I imagine takes a lot of energy given how much time he spends sleeping. Also in the office is a woman with a boy who looks to be about nine years old. He's carrying a piece of what looks like aquarium tubing because . . . hell, I don't know. Because kids are weird, I guess.

At some point, while his mother is arguing with the receptionist over the price for adopting one of the kittens they have (our vet keeps two in the office for this), the kid wanders over and examines the carrier and my cat with interest. After a moment, without so much as a look at me, he drops down to one knee and tries to open the carrier.

"Uh, excuse me," I say dryly, pulling it back, "but that's not yours, and my cat is staying inside."

He glares at me, actually planting his hands on his hips and thrusting his head forward as if his homestyled bowl cut is going to intimidate me. His mother twists around, pausing in her tirade (which includes such gems as "Do you even have a high school education?") to give me a dirty look. "He just wants to see the kitty." she says acidly. "Let him open it up and have a look, for God's sake."

I love when they do this. It's like someone, somewhere above likes me and gives me the go-ahead stamp of approval to be catty.

Regardless, I'm not going to get into something here in the vet's office with this fop and her bratty excuse for a kid. I just give her my best patronising smile and very pointedly return to my book. Oh, Matt Brooks. Your zombie apocalypse brightens my days! There are so many people here in the real world who could use a good brain eating. Speaking of . . .

She stares at me a moment longer, then turns back to the receptionist.

And that's when her kid rips open the door to the carrier and sticks the tubing he's carrying in, whipping it from side to side as hard as he can.

I do not believe in being indulgent in the face of poor behaviour, especially when the parent is such a complete fucking tool. I snatch the tubing out of his hand, ignoring his cry of "THAT'S MINE", and pitch it out the open window, slamming the cage shut with my foot. I turn back to the kid and hunker down to his level -- this takes some doing, since I'm six feet tall, so I suppose fairly intimidating when I'm angry -- and smile at him.

"Sparky, if you don't back off my cat, I will END you." Which is actually a less colourful version of what I really wanted to say, but hey -- a kid's a kid.

"That's it!" his mother screams, descending on her son and wrenching him back protectively. "I'm not giving this place my business anymore! Not when I see the sort of people you keep as clients! You're sick!"

I assume this last is directed at me. Hell, maybe I am; sick, that is, of parents who let their kids run wild because they can't be bothered to discipline them properly. I'm still shocked the kid did what he did. I wasn't exactly raised with a heavy hand, but even as a little Cookiesaur I knew you did not behave that way.

I have met a lot of kids out and about. A lot of them are smart, sweet, funny little weirdos who will grow up to be smart, sweet, funny grown-up weirdos -- the best kind. I just hope these ones grow up to outnumber the brats.

I guess there was an upside to the whole thing. The vet definitely does not want their animals being adopted out to people whose kids think beating them with a rubber tube is a good time.

Herbie, for the record, was spooked but fine. He demonstrated this by showing he's also part velociraptor as he launched himself off the vet assistant's chest with his hind claws for purchase as she picked him up.

So that was my day. Met a crazy woman, almost eviscerated someone with a cat. I guess it all balances out in the end.
    Personally, I find cleavage very helpful. In a crime-fighting sense.

I am sorry you and your poor kitty had to deal with that child. Hugs to you both.

I would have gotten the "Mommy Death Look" if I had pulled that. Which still works and I am almost 33.

And we need pics of this cat!!!
    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't wish a goldfish on that family.

And I HATE goldfish.

I'm glad your kittysaurous is okay.
      "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

There are several things I could say about that mom and her kid--but they're not appropriate.

So I'll just say: What a couple of bozos.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

what ever happened to the parent saying that "you NEVER talk to strangers".I still remember getting in trouble for talking to a old man in the store when I was about 8 years old.Also when I was a kid THE ONLY way I ever got a pet was to take care of it myself.The first time I didn't feed or water it,it went bye bye. Lets just say mom didn't play that crap.

As for the kid wow just wow..
          The mom missed an VERY important time to teach the kid about other people's property.Kids with parents grow up to be the SC in the pharmacy story the other day.Where the idiot drank the pharmacist's water,No bountries.

Comment

Quoth candyshopgirl View Post
            The mom missed an VERY important time to teach the kid about other people's property.
            The kid was about nine years old, or close to it by the OP's description. If mommy hasn't yet taught her son about boundaries and other people's property, she sure as hell isn't going to start now.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I am speechless. That mom was just re-god damn -diculous. If my son did that.......woo boy...

Can we see pics of the kitty?

Comment

The worst thing is that if Herbie had bitten or scratched the kid you'd still be some psycho sicko and how dare you have such a wild beast out where the precious child could be harmed.
                A crisis is a problem you can't control. Drama is a problem you can, but won't. - Otter

Comment

Quoth Cookiesaur View Post
                  . I just give her my best patronising smile and very pointedly return to my book. Oh, Matt Brooks. Your zombie apocalypse brightens my days! There are so many people here in the real world who could use a good brain eating.
                  1. Pics of kitty, plz? I love cats!

2. Are you perchance reading World War Z? Because that would make me VERY happy, it's one of my fav books.

3. You are awesome for dealing with the EW kid and mom!!
                  "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

I could maybe see my children wandering up to someone else's pet carrier and attempting to open it, as the SC's kid did at first. Kids do that.

However, I certainly hope I instill in my kids that if the owner of said carrier (or whatever they're touching) says "Please don't" or some variant, they immediately stop. And heaven help them if they attempt to rip open the door and start flailing at the pet with tubing. You won't need to threaten to end them. That'll be my job at that point.

Frankly, you did that vet a favor, driving them away. They sound like the kind of people who see pets as decorations you feed, a novelty item that you keep so long as it's cute and doesn't do much to your house, but get rid of as soon as it becomes "inconvenient." Or as soon as it no longer matches the furniture or something. ::grumble::

I want kitties....
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

and Herbie is doing his Herbie things, which include (but are not limited to) purring at nothing, staring blankly into space, and being fucking huge

Is it wrong that I giggled like a loon at that?

I too would like to see a pic of Herbie! Please? Pretty please?
                      I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

It would have been cool if you asked the vet to have the bitch fixed. :-)
                        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Yeah, I was lucky Herbie didn't decide to take a piece out of him. Since he was declawed by his previous owners (we adopted him), he's quicker to bite than most other cats, and while he's generally a gentle (and stupid) giant, he could probably do some damage. I'll see if I can't figure out how to connect my new digital to the computer and upload pictures of Herbie for all to see. There's actually an interesting story about how we got him and why his neck is bald. They had to break down a wall between two cages in the shelter so he had one large enough to fit. He's a freak of nature.

And, yes, I am (re)reading World War Z. My husband got it for me last Valentine's Day along with "The Zombie Survival Guide".

. . . we're strange people.

Comment

Quoth Cookiesaur View Post
                            And, yes, I am (re)reading World War Z. My husband got it for me last Valentine's Day along with "The Zombie Survival Guide".

. . . we're strange people.
                            I have a friend that gave out the Zombie Survival Guide to the groomsmen at his wedding. I'm strange people, too. Seriously, WWZ really is one of my fav books. I found it thoughtful, entertaining, and occasionally quite moving. And it has ZOMBIES! You heard they're making a movie, right?
                            "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                              I have a friend that gave out the Zombie Survival Guide to the groomsmen at his wedding. I'm strange people, too. Seriously, WWZ really is one of my fav books. I found it thoughtful, entertaining, and occasionally quite moving. And it has ZOMBIES! You heard they're making a movie, right?
                              I knew so many people who were bored with that book because it wasn't just a slap-dash blood fest. Part of what I love about the zombie genre is the way it lets you see people as they really are; how they handle things, how far they'd really go to save themselves/friends/family. WWZ was fantastic because it examined every part of the scenario in an intelligent, clever way.

I'm cautiously hopeful about the movie. I've been burnt by movies based on books before. (I was actually relieved when they decided NOT to make a movie/series based on Preacher) The concept art I've seen is gorgeous though.

Which . . . uh . . . may be a strange thing to say about a scene depicting soldiers being eating alive.

. . . huh. Wonder what that says about me?

Comment

Working...
                              X