Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That had better be gold lined paint ...

This is happening to a co-worker of mine at my new job.

'Paula' is driving a friends car right now. The other day she had a guy from another company in our building came into the office and indicate that she scratched the paint on his car ( a BMW ). Paula goes out and looks at the two cars and does not believe that she caused the damage. There is a scratch on her bumper, but she does not remember if it was there when she started using the car. Paula says the scratches are at different heights and that she does not remember hitting him.

Now for the sucky part, instead of being a honest person about it he puts a $1900 quote on her windshield.

We all think he is trying to scam her into fixing his car when it was not her fault.

B.T.W. My SO hit someone in 2008 and it only cost us $1200 to buy a new bumper, get it painted and rent the other lady a car for 2 days while her car was in the shop.
    If it makes sense, it's not allowed™. -- BeckySunshine

I've heard of breaking wind but not breaking and entering wind. --- Sheldonrs

My gaming blog:Ghosts from the Black

me thinks he sees a BMW and thinks jackpot.I would fight it since the bumpers are at different heights it should be a no brainer.

Comment

no HE drives the BMW

Comment

Don't you know that you get a licence to act like a complete prick when you own a BMW and drive like you own the road?
        "Light a fire for someone and he will be warm all day,
        set light to someone and he will be warm for the rest of his life" Sir Samuel Vimes

Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.

Comment

Quoth IvorTangrean View Post

B.T.W. My SO hit someone in 2008 and it only cost us $1200 to buy a new bumper, get it painted and rent the other lady a car for 2 days while her car was in the shop.
          Well, it is a BMW. Unless you are in Germany, if something goes wrong with your BMW you might have to hock body parts to get it fixed because there are fewer parts available and fewer garages familiar with a Beemer's inner workings.

Then again, is doing body work on a BMW that much different than doing body work on a Chevrolet? I ask this knowing nothing about auto body repair.

Regardless, the owner of the BMW can't and shouldn't expect to hold Paula responsible for the damage to his vehicle if he can't prove her car caused it. I'd take that quote, blow my nose on it, and deposit it under the windshield wiper of his impractical car.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            Then again, is doing body work on a BMW that much different than doing body work on a Chevrolet? I ask this knowing nothing about auto body repair.
            I know very little about auto body repair, but I did hit my best friend's BMW at about 5 mph. Turns out most of the body is made entirely of plastic. It cracked the plastic and he had to replace the entire rear fender. Total bill: $1,000.00 And that was an older but fairly common BMW and getting used parts. So, $1,900 is feasible on a newer model and having to buy new parts.

All I had to do for mine, incidently, was wipe the bits of BMW plastic bumper of my cheap hunk of American steel.

Still, if he's going to blame her, he's going to have to prove it. You can't just stick a quote on someone's windshield and expect them to pay for it. If I could do that, I'd have someone else paying for my car repairs. Whoever was parked next to me, in fact.

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
              And that was an older but fairly common BMW and getting used parts. So, $1,900 is feasible on a newer model and having to buy new parts.
              There is no body work damage the quote was to fix the paint job, no dent, no new parts, just the scratched paint.

Comment

Was the quote on her windshield at the time he accused her of hitting his car? It usually takes a couple of days to get a quote, and then the auto insurance companies usually arrange it (in the US). Smells a lot like a scam to me.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

No it did take a couple of days for the quote

Comment

Quoth gaspode View Post
                    Don't you know that you get a licence to act like a complete prick when you own a BMW and drive like you own the road?
                    It's not just BMW owners--I've seen Porsche and Mercedes owners act like that too. They all seem to think that because they own an expensive car, they can weave in and out of traffic, cut people off, and just be douchebags on the road.

As for that particular owner, there's no way a scratch will cost $1900 to fix. He's on crack. Paula should tell him to get bent
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

That is the only reason I like French people.... its called a BUMPER for a reason for crying out loud.

French think that cars are items, not your penis! You don't have to paint every time it has a little scratch on it!
                      http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
                      Melody Gardot

Comment

has he given any proof yet that you scratched his car?
                        or did he just see your car near his and assume that's where it came from?

and... most scratches that come from cars bumping other cars usually have a bit of paint transfer...

i'd say before agreeing to any bills at all... find out if it really happened.

and if by chance it IS something you're responsible for... i'd say dont just use his estimate, talk to the insurance company to get more than one estimate.

Comment

I find ya'lls comments funny, because I own a bmw. It's not as expensive as you might think, and I don't feel I drive any differently in it than I do my mustang.

Just a friendly reminder about stereotypes...

Comment

if she didn't hit him she should tell him to get stuffed.
                            DILLIGAF

Comment

I've had a few BMWs (thinking about picking up a old 5 series when I can). Properly done paint does cost more, but it shouldn't cost that much more. BMW does more layers of better quality paint than most American car companies. Someone keyed one of ours with a knife (apparently they thought the car belonged to someone else in our complex), which went into the metal. It had to be stripped, sanded, filled and painted.

I have to say, I've never heard of a BMW body made of plastic. It seems likely that was some kind of after-market kit. My last BMW I lost to an accident. It didn't even look damaged from outside, but it was screwed underneath.
                              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                              HR believes the first person in the door
                              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                              Document everything
                              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                              X