Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using caffine withdrawal as a force for good.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using caffine withdrawal as a force for good.

Over the past few years, I haven't really had any stories to post, since my job doesn't let me within cooee of a random Sucky Customer off the street. I deal with Executives and upper level managers who can be, in their own way, just as bad, but I have the expertise in my field to tell them when they're wrong, and for the most part, that is that.

But I just had a sighting that I had to share.

My mother occasionally comes and stays with my wife, daughters and me. Usually, these visits are greeted with enthusiasm on our part (because my mother turns our house from its usual 'lived-in' untidiness into something that resembles a house posing for photos before being put on the market), and squealing excitement on our daughters' parts.

Recently however, her visits have been a bit trying.

Because she has cut her caffine intake. She now allows herself only one coffee a day.

Now, I don't drink coffee. I don't know what the withdrawal symptoms feel like. But I imagine that they're not pleasant.

Today, I decided to treat my mother to a coffee at her favourite local place (not because I'm a good son or anything like that, but because she was getting on my nerves.)

So we're standing in line, patiently waiting our turn. An idjit a few people in front of us orders "I'll have a coffee".

The barrista behind the counter looks as though she's been working since Easter without a break, so just trundles off and puts together some brown liquid in a cup. When he gets his order, he flips out, claiming that he ordered a latte.

My mother, who is normally a sweet woman, buts in and says, "No you didn't."

SC turns around and tells her to shut up.

Things get a little hairy from there. There's no way I could reconstruct the converstion from memory, but 'she's not a mind reader' featured repeatedly. Finally, towards the end of her spiel, the SC managed to get a word in.

Mum - "If you wanted a latte, you should have asked for one. It's not that hard."
    SC - "I said shut up."
    Mum - (ignoring his response) "You can't expect her to make you one of everything for you to pick from. She made you what you ordered."
    SC - "Fuck off, bitch."

It was at this point that I decided that I should do the protective thing and tell him to back off. Mum didn't give me a chance. She let rip one of the most impressive rants I've ever seen. Not even the one when she caught my sixteen-year-old self in a compromising position with our fifteen-year-old Japanese exchange student could compare. She vented around a decade's worth of stress onto this guy who'd just been a bog-standard SC that barristas have to put up with on an hourly basis.

It ended with the SC just saying, "Fuck this, I'm never coming back here," and storming out. The smiles on the faces of the two barristas was like a dual sunrise.

And thus, caffine withdrawal has, in some small way, enriched the lives of the workers at on small coffee shop in suburban Melbourne. A small start, to be sure, but perhaps this force can be directed to destroy suckiness in all its forms.

*sigh*

Nah, not a hope. But damn, I was proud of my Mum today.

Your mom is my hero.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth draco664 View Post
      Now, I don't drink coffee. I don't know what the withdrawal symptoms feel like. But I imagine that they're not pleasant.

Let's put it this way, I finally after 20 + years, quit smoking (christmas present to myself). I attempted to go caffeine free too (not at the same time), intense migranes, mood swings and armagedon within a week. If only I hadn't gone back on my Diet Mountain Dew, I probably could have taken over the world.
      Tamezin

Comment

Your mom rocks!
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

It's quite natural to be protective of family members (especially as our parents age). When my mother tells stories of random asshats and cotton riding bitches, I wish I were there so I could have kicked the daylights out of them.

But when they stand up for themselves or others and it really causes a stir, it's a good feeling, knowing you don't have to worry so much.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I was so glad I had already moved out when my mother decided to cut back her 13-cup-a-day average down to two. *shudders* My poor sisters had to deal with her.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I fear the day that my Father in law has to cut down from his never-ending pots of coffee to a more reasonable one pot a day. I think he will implode.

And yes, your Mum is awesome.

Comment

Your mum rocks!

Whatcha gonna get her for Mother's Day?
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post

Sign her up for Gevalia's "Coffee of the Month"?
                  Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Caffeine withdrawls...are...HORRIBLE!!! It's worse than PMS(cuz all you guys needed to know that. Sorry!). At least for me they are
                    "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                      Your mum rocks!

I'm getting her (and Dad) a return ticket to London. My wife, kids and I are moving over there in a few weeks for work, so I thought she'd like to come visit when she gets the chance.

Comment

the worst flu on earth i swear one day i waited until 8pm to have a soda because i had a ton the day before. i almost killed someone

Comment

Quoth draco664 View Post
                          Not even the one when she caught my sixteen-year-old self in a compromising position with our fifteen-year-old Japanese exchange student could compare.

Need I say more
                          How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

Sign her up for Gevalia's "Coffee of the Month"?
                            Primer's got the idea - maybe in addition to the ticket, set up to start at least a month before her visit?

She rules, why can I never see an SC when I am not working? I would luuuurve to tell them how it is!!
                            "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Maybe it's the pervert in me, but I want to hear more about the compromising position you were in with the exchange student.
                              Windows Operating System is an oxymoron."

Oh, You want instant Gratification? Go f*ck yourself then!
                              I found the problem. /dev/clue was linked to /dev/null

Comment

Working...
                              X