This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You ran a credit check on WHO!?

Jesters "Hello....this is the Police" thread reminded me of this and I didnt' want to threadjack.

This could go in "Cursing out Coworkers" but I never worked with this guy, or even for this company.

Years ago (during the Clinton Administration) my father worked for a company that - among other things - was developing systems for automated sales kiosks. One in particular was a major contract to develop a kiosk to sell cell phones. One part of the total system was a piece of software that could run credit checks on customers.

Now, for testing that software, they had set up an internal database filled with junk credit data. When doing test credit checks against this database, you could type in pretty much anything you want, since none of the information was real.

However, later in the testing process, they were able to link in actual credit databases and run actual checks. Needless to say, the test engineers were told to be extremely careful when doing this, and to only use their own name or a name from a pre-approved list.

So this one guy....I dont' know if he thought the system was still connected to the test database and not the REAL database, or if he was just trying to be an asshole, but he very nearly got the company into serious trouble and almost lost his job as a result.

While connected to the live database, he decided to run a credit check on one "William Jefferson Clinton."

THAT little move attracted some unwanted attention from the US Secret Service, who demanded to know what the hell they were up to and why they were checking the President's personal credit. It caused a major flap at the company.

I really don't know what that guy was thinking.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 11-15-2011, 05:06 PM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

That's pretty funny...

Idiot.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Happened to someone else, more a sighting.

Rapscallion

Comment

Slick Willie is a cool character (and probably my favorite President ever, although I do love our current one) I am sure he'd just laugh it off

Comment

That reminds me that I have Equifax access.... It's too bad Barack Hussain Obama isn't planning on buying a home in southern Ontario anytime soon at least that I know of
          Otaku

Comment

now i'm jsut wondering... how the credit score turned out

Comment

PepperElf, I was also wondering the same thing!
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I am thinking that maybe the coworker thought it was still hooked up to a fake database.
                Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

It sucks that everyone got into trouble with the secret service, but that's hilarious all the same
                  The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Not to say I would do it, but given the opportunity, there are a few famous (and infamous ) people I'd like to run a check on.
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      now i'm jsut wondering... how the credit score turned out
                      Quoth Primer View Post
                      PepperElf, I was also wondering the same thing!
                      Yeah I'm curious to!!

Comment

Quoth SG15Z View Post
                        Yeah I'm curious to!!
                        Sorry, but I can't tell you what I don't know!
                        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                          Sure, plead the 505th Amendment: I refuse to answer on the grounds that I may get fired...

from a gun of smaller caliber than I am.
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                            Damn! Oh well worth a shot.

Comment

Yeah, I'd like to know as well... damn it!

Especially since I've heard that over half the pollies in my lot have filed for bankruptcy at least once and are currently in serious debt (or have lost businesses etc..). You can't run a business or your own finances, but you think you can control our country's???

But, going the other way, just because someone is a big name shouldn't automatically exclude them from what the rest of us mere plebs should have to go through. I'd love to answer "Do you know who I am?" with, "Yes, someone who doesn't pay their bills!"
                              When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Working...
                              X