This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's not 50 feet!

There are signs around the entrances at a nearby mall I wander to occasionally which state: "No smoking within 50 feet of mall entrance- The Management"
    I have now stopped to stare at that sign at least three times because people have been standing beneath it, smoking. Now, I'm no good with measurements without a ruler, but I sincerely doubt they'd post those signs if they were already 50 feet away.

Usually, I stop walking and stare at the sign, then the smoker, then back to the sign. Today marks the first time the smoker's taken notice of me doing so.
    M: Me
    S: Smoker

S: "What?"
    M: "See the sign?"
    S: *garbled words, most likely to the effect of: "It's raining, I'm not standing in the rain to smoke"*
    M: *thinking* "And yet, you have an umbrella in your other hand." *grumbledina as I walk away*
    "I call murder on that!"

I've seen people do that in front of hospitals, literally standing 5 feet from the door when the signs all state there is no smoking on hospital property.
    “Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.”

-Charles Bukowski

Comment

Quoth Muses_nightmare View Post
      literally standing 5 feet from the door when the signs all state there is no smoking.
      my mother works for the government, and they now have no smoking in and around all offices (no smoking within 15 feet of any entrance)

the workers were so bad about standing right beside the door and smoking (so the smoke would woft back inside, they had to paint a big thick yellow line around the staff entrance of some of the offices and then write up any workers smoking within that line
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

One of the buildings at my college has an outer door and an inner door and a glassed in area in between. I've seen several speshul snowflakes standing INSIDE the glassed area to smoke and blow the smoke out the outer door. One time I made a big to do visibly holding my breath, doing the cough and wave my hand in front of my face thing....either they were too stupid to get it (which wouldn't surprise me), or they ignored me (also wouldn't surprise me).
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Graaaah. My bus station has huge "no smoking" signs every 10 metres.

Nary a week goes by I don't see someone standing UNDER one of these signs, smoking.
          Even the bus drivers do.

Comment

I've always wanted to put a heat-sensing array (like an air to air missile) on a pan/tilt/zoom camera so it would swing around, snap a mugshot...

and then the raingun sprinkler kicks on... thbbt thbbt thbbt
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

We have one entrance that is like that, because it opens to a kid's play area and a movie theater. People stand RIGHT UNDER THE SIGNS. Then say "well where does it say that?!" Ummmm....

Had one guy we had to warn 3-times, then kick him out. It went on for days with him calling about how he was going to have us fired, he had an attorny, he was an attorny, it was public property, it was his constitutional right, etc. All this over SMOKING!!!

Hee, I like to comment loudly to myself too. But you're right, nobody ever gets it.
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

where in the constitution does it even MENTION tobacco?

i mean i'm all for smoker's rights but... they have to be smoking legally
                and they can't be tossing their butts around.

one of the things that sucks about being in the military... at one shore command we had a specific smoking gazebo. it wasn't bad and it wasn't next to a dumpster either. most of the smokers were GS employees - civilians working for the military.

unfortunately a lot of smokers couldn't give a rat's ass about putting the butts in the provided bins and would just toss them wherever they wanted.

guess who had to clean it up?... yeah the military people at the command. most of us didn't even smoke.

Comment

Quoth KaySquirrel View Post
                  Farting. It's an appropriate response, and one that I only wish my body was more able to provide on an on-demand basis...You want to lurk where you're not allowed to, so that I have to smell you when I walk in or out of a pub/office/restaurant? Then YOU have to smell ME.
                  I...I think I'm in love. I am a fan, and I will remember this the next time I run into one of these ass-clowns. The wife is constantly derisive of my ability to produce noxious gas on command.

Comment

In my county, there is actually an ordinance that you can't smoke within 50 feet of a public entrance. They don't enforce it very well (much like many of the other ordinances in this state).

My favorite is watching butts flicking out windows of cars....Hey asshole, Michigan is not your fucking ashtray....

Although my alltime favorite, is watching employees light up at the gas station....

Comment

I cannot take credit for being the first person to ever invent crop dusting, but I will take credit for being one of the only CSers who admit to doing it and proudly posting about it

Personally though, I think 50 feet is a little excessive. I only wish there were laws that people with Seinfeld-like BO (BBO) and men and women who bathe in cologne had to be 50 feet away from me.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

At the base, they have those no smoking signs around the NEX.

I'm pretty sure people think they mean "Designated Smoking Area", because, despite having a very lovely gazebo under which they are allowed the smoke, they stand right under the signs.
                        "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

My favorite warning was while I was at an air show and the announcer says: "Once again, I remind you to not smoke near the aircraft. What part of fully fueled aircraft do you not get?"

Comment

I worked as a security guard for a private company, that one of their contracts was to walk around the outside of the hospital and tell people where they could and could not smoke...

Now I'm a 5'4" somewhat heavy female...people were pretty good about honestly not knowing, and would go to where I told them....but 3 guys who stood out in my mind didn't take me seriously...

So I politely walked over to them...the area they could smoke was literally across the small street...less then 10 feet away mind...they thought because they were bigger then me, and more fit then me that they could push me around...

Me: Hey guys, I'm sorry but you're not in the smoking area...can I please ask you to either put them out or move across the street.

g1: Aw come on...we're almost done. (granted it was...I didn't catch them on my first walk around).

G2: Yeah...like 5 minutes...tops...

Me: sorry its state mandate that you cannot smoke where you are...I'm not asking you to put them out...I'm just asking you to move.

This exchange went on for a little bit, until I said fine...took 5 steps away from them, took out my walkie talkie, and radio'd my supervisor.

Me: Hey, I've got a couple of guys that think they are above the rules and aren't willing to move.

S: do what you can do...they still don't comply i'll come up and deal with them.

Me: Alright guys...heres the deal. You can do as I say, and move. Or you can get arrested.

G1: and what are YOU gonna do little girl...

Me: resisting urge to curb stomp them...~ This... ~with that I take BOTH cigs out of their mouths and walk the 10 feet to the smoking area and hold them...the looks were priceless but I HATE being called a little girl.~

enter lots of screaming, cussing, and threats at my general direction, and demand to speak to my super...to which I BARELY start to open my moouth to say something when said super comes walking up grinning....NEVER in my life have I seen someone move THAT fast...swear the guys left skid marks.
                            It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

We don't allow smoking in or even near our music tent (my band has a music tent). We have a rep for having accidents involving fire...and we tell people if we see smoke we're going to assume there is a fire. And put it out for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X