This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah, the joy of the laundromat

Too bad the other people there are either sucky or uber weird.

I get to see a wonderful slice of oddity or lunacy each week on laundry day since we have no washer or dryer in our apartment.

There is one woman who has been at the laundromat every week now for the past month and a half or so. This woman uses all of the triple load commercial washers (12 total) and one entire wall of dryers (20 in total) all by herself! To put this in perspective, my g/f and I together go through enough clothes for 1 triple load washer - that is including sheets, towels, etc. not just clothes.

This week, she got there just after I had loaded my laundry into a commercial washer. She brought in several shopping carts of clothes and filled all but one of the free commercial washers. In the meantime, another guy came in and tried to use the last commercial washer. She yelled at him to get away from it because it was her washer. He stopped, watched her walk out, and then put his clothes in anyway. I like this guy.

She sees this, too late to stop him from starting it which locks the washer, and then runs into the owner's office to complain. The owner walks out, listens to the whole story, shrugs and says 'First come, first serve.' Well! They didn't do it that way at <other laundromat> where she used to her laundry. If she was there first, she got to use all the machines she wanted. The owner shrugged again and suggested she go back there if she prefers there rules. I 'ed. It was good.

At this point, I got to overhear a bit of her conversation with her friend who was there to help her fold clothes. Mostly because there was only one strip of folding table left open and that was right next to the two of them.

Apparently, this lovely specimen of Whorus Entitlementus has not 1, not 2, not 3, but 6 children. I'm not opposed to other people having children (generally) and, in fact, my father was the youngest of 6 kids. My problem is that they apparently go through three changes of clothes per day. I mean, is she doing making her kids change clothes that often. That's just stupid.

Furthermore, she is now planning on putting a spike strip across the road in front of her house because everybody drives by too fast. I realize this can be a problem, and I would have recommended she call the police, but she continued on to say that someone was bound to kill one of her kids while they are playing in the road and that's why they should drive slower. And if they hit her kids, she's going to sue and 'take all they's stuff.' Or, and this is a crazy idea, she could just keep her kids OUT OF THE BLOODY ROAD. But, clearly, that is just not acceptable.

Oh, and her two youngest kids were found by a neighbor about 1/2 a mile away from her house and returned home by said neighbor. The kids opened and walked out of the gate on her yard and got away. Listening to her, it would be the fault of everyone else (Her neighbors, police, Easter Bunny, etc.) if her kids got hurt while wandering down the road. It is not her fault, because she has 6 kids and "I can't be responsible for all them kids. How can I watch the little ones and still watch Oprah with Kendra after she gets back from school?" So, you can watch Oprah with a kid who is old enough to go to school, but you can't watch the two youngest kids who are clearly old enough to open the gate in yard and go for a walk. Such wonderful, wonderful parenting...

So finally, while I'm folding the last of my laundry I get to hear about how the EW's sister. Apparently, her sister tried to call in sick because the new baby kept her up all night and she was tired. Her evil, disgusting, bastard of a boss told her she had too many absences already and that she had to come in or be fired. Well, EW is just absolutely pissed about this. How dare they make her work her scheduled shift when she is tired! It's not fair, it's illegal, they're violating FMLA and she told her sister to get a lawyer and sue because they can't legally make her work if her baby kept her awake at night!

It's a good thing I finished my laundry and left at that point, because I was getting really close to verbally eviscerating the raging EW. I'm really thinking I may have to change my laundry day, because if I spend too much time in this woman's company there's going to be trouble.

Oh, the laundromat... what a great place it is to spend two lovely hours with the dregs of humanity. I really don't miss not having a washer/dryer on site Though, my laundromat did have Ms. Pac Man

But seriously... WHY did that lady have so much laundry?? and why did she have to do it all at once? That sounds like a nightmare.
    !
    "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

And I wonder where all of her kids are when she is doing the laundry? There was no mention of them being with her. Perhaps she left them at home so they could play in the road.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

They can't legally make her work if her kids kept her awake all night? Since when?? She'll get one thing from that line of reasoning-a nice pink slip!

Comment

I agree with the statement that i do NOT miss having to go to the laundrymat to do clothes...

course they had the ONLY 2 pinball machines in town there...which I still hold to top score in...did I mention I went there alot...

good thing about it was that it was 24 hour (good for my school schedule, and work), AND they had live local musicains playing almost everytime I went there....it would of been great...if not for all the drunk idiots...
          It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

I really, really hated using the laundromat.

I ended up buying a set for 300 plus delivery at a junk shop. They work great! I mean, this place is like a "Fast Eddie's," but I don't know--I just feel better having bought them used.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
              I agree with the statement that i do NOT miss having to go to the laundrymat to do clothes...

course they had the ONLY 2 pinball machines in town there...which I still hold to top score in...did I mention I went there alot...

good thing about it was that it was 24 hour (good for my school schedule, and work), AND they had live local musicains playing almost everytime I went there....it would of been great...if not for all the drunk idiots...

... A laundromat that has a live band?
              Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Quoth Can I Help Your A$$? View Post
                I really, really hated using the laundromat.

I ended up buying a set for 300 plus delivery at a junk shop. They work great! I mean, this place is like a "Fast Eddie's," but I don't know--I just feel better having bought them used.
                The laundromat I used to use wasn't too bad - it was across from the police station, it was 24 hours, and it was right behind the pizza place I worked at at the time. The worst you'd see late at night was drunk people doing laundry and you'd get the occasional whiff of someone that's been smoking weed in their car while they were waiting on their wash to finish.

But I've since moved into an apartment that actually provides a full size washer and dryer in every unit. They just replaced my original w/d (25 years old and still going!) with brand new ones this year too, along with all my other appliances.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
                  Actually, crazy as it sounds, in some areas of NYC during the 1980s, laundromats were considered quite a singles' scene. Some did have coffee houses with live entertainment.
                  Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

*hugs my washing machine*

*hugs my dryer too*

Damn, You just made me love having them here even more.

Comment

Before I got my nice set I had to go to the laundry mat and had to sit for three hours...the worst I had was a kid who tried to beg for my quarters and one guy who was complaining that I needed to get a job since I was young enough to work and if I needed for him to give me a job...

Comment

I love my washer and dryer. It takes so much money and time to do laundry at the laundromat that it completely justifies purchasing a washer and dryer (I bought mine used, too, CIYHA). We have two kids and probably average 7 loads a week of everything.

Gerrinson, I don't know how you kept a straight face while listening to the EW. Some days I want to run through the streets throwing condoms and birth control pills to everyone. It's a weird picture, but having seen and heard too many people like that, it's the nicest thing I can think of.
                        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                        HR believes the first person in the door
                        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                        Document everything
                        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

that sounds pretty typical. My dad owned and operated a laundromat from the early 80s to the mid-90s. I worked in it alot.

I could tell some stories that would curl your toes (and not in a good way), particularly when it came to some of the items I found in peoples pockets who dropped off their laundry to be done.
                          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

[QUOTE=Gerrinson;569373]Too bad the other people there are either sucky or uber weird.

There is one woman who has been at the laundromat every week now for the past month and a half or so. This woman uses all of the triple load commercial washers (12 total) and one entire wall of dryers (20 in total) all by herself! To put this in perspective, my g/f and I together go through enough clothes for 1 triple load washer - that is including sheets, towels, etc. not just clothes.]

Sometimes when I am not able to do laundry for two weeks and I know I will take up a lot of dryers I get there as they are opening the doors because usually I will be the only person there for awhile. The place I go to has like 70 washers and only 20 dryers

Comment

Quoth JLG View Post

Sometimes when I am not able to do laundry for two weeks and I know I will take up a lot of dryers I get there as they are opening the doors because usually I will be the only person there for awhile. The place I go to has like 70 washers and only 20 dryers
                              If the dryers are big enough, it would make sense. Between me and the bf we manage 3 loads a week, but we can throw all 3 loads into one dryer and it's still no where near half-full.

So far my laundromat experiences have been good. Although there was one lady who was 50 (she told me so) and was telling me this was the first time she had done her own laundry and she just recently moved out of her parents house for the first time. At some point she made a huge mess and the attendant handed her a broom and dust pan. Lady couldn't even figure out how to work the broom. Talk about a case of serious arrested development. And I always read my book while waiting on my laundry and she wouldn't stop interrupting me ever 6 seconds.
                              "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Working...
                              X