Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So mad about the people at the movies!

So I just saw Daybreakers. Awesome, but I wasn't really able to enjoy it. Why? Because not only were 3-cell phones flashing in front of me (one received call, 1-guy texting who sighed DRAMATICALLY when I told him to put his phone away, & 1-person checking the time CONSTANTLY) there were these 3-asshats behind me and to my left. I'd sat in the row in-front of them, cruely obligating them to take their feet down off the seats. So they move to my left with much grumbling, then begin talking through the movie. I shushed them, then 10-min later they kept at it; a constant stream of commentary and such. At the end of the movie I said "well I really enjoyed it except for those jerks behind me who kept talking!" And they begin making smart-alleck remarks about "ooooo, she called us jerks!" And the father-type figure said "You know, we could have made it worse for you!" And I asked "I just want to know why you would spend 10$ a piece to see this movie and talk through the whole thing!" He really didn't have an answer to that, but smirked along with his miscreient children the whole way out.

Now, I really wanted to tell the managers and get them thrown-out. I probably should have. But why should I have to get-up and miss the movie that I paid to actually WATCH to complain about them, when they'll probably do a 3-against one and say they weren't doing anything. I swear, this time is my LAST TIME going to the movie theater. I told the BF I'm sorry, but he's going to have to find other people to go with him because I'm tired of leaving the theater with elevated blood pressure.

I also wonder WHY more people don't complain about this behavior. It seems that either, it doesn't bother people because they expect it, they do it so they don't care if others do it, or they just don't want to 'start anything.' A lot of the problems seem to stem from that 'Bystander Effect' where nobody wants to go against the social norm and be singled-out as different, so nobody wants to be the first to speak-up. Fo-Uck That! If more of us said something, then maybe people would begin to understand that this is not normal, acceptable behavior for a theater!!!!!!!!!!! There needs to be a pep-talk before the show, or people actually seeing the possible consequences of their actions. I'm thinking electrified seats!

Huff! Huff! Huff! Ok...I've got it out now.

(I guess this could have been a sighting, but it WAS where I work)
    Last edited by LillFilly; 01-15-2010, 04:13 AM. Reason: New ideas
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm starting to think more and more about that song from Chicago. "Whatever happened to class?"
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Complaining to management will sometimes get you a voucher to see the movie again, but you still risk dealing with another batch of them. This is why I usually goto the movies during the day, rather than at night. Less ass hats like this to worry about. I like being in a 200+ seat theatre with only 5-10 people in it.

CH
      Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

I love the newer theatre near us. It's 'VIP' so it costs $5 above what a normal theatre in town does, but if you go on a Tuesday it's the same a a normal ticket. for the extra cost, you get assigned seating in a reclining seat, seat-side service and people who were willing to shell out a few extra bucks so they will actually watch the movie, not bother everyone else.

I also hate the lineups you get at the regular ones, but this one has a lounge you wait in until the theatre opens up for your showing.

Comment

What is it with movie theatres and obnoxious patrons? I hardly ever go to the movies either. Not only do I save money, but I save myself much headache.

Comment

I have gotten lucky of late.

Of the last three times I was in a theater, everybody behaved.

The first (can't remember the movie), there were a bunch of people with cell phones out during the trailers, but once the movie started, they all put them away! I didn't see anything glowing in the audience at all.

The middle was Avatar, in 3D. Full crowd. Aside from someone in the row behind us being fidgity (a pre-teen on Christmas day), it was golden.

The last was The Fantastic Mr Fox (ugh, I want my time back), and while there were only a few other people there, there was a group of 2 or 3 teen girls behind us who were excessively rambunctious before the movie started, but actually behaved themselves while it was playing.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I've came to the conclusion that a lot of (mostly teens) people have ran out of places to go and talk or use their phone, or they must really just use movies as background noise.....

Almost every time I go to the movies, people are STILL yapping away when the movie starts, cell phones are still a flashing, sometimes little chimes can be heard, some people don't even put their damn phone away the entire time.....
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

For the most part, I was good through out the movie. Kept my mouth shut during the boring parts and contented myself with stuffing my face full of pretzel bites until it got going.

But then, since there were only ten people in this GIANT ass theatre, I forgot we weren't at home and I made a few loud cracks when it started getting good. I felt terrible. I wanted to cover my face and just hide. I just kind of apologized, mumbled I needed to shut the hell up and went back to my movie.

Then I felt weird because I realize I'd been laughing at all the wrong places so now I looked like a jerk.
                "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

Errr, if ONLY my only problem at the movies was people laughing during the movie.

At Paranormal Activity, there were some stupid teenage girls there.....and I think they were just doing it to be retarded, but every single time the demon spirit thingy did something, they would SCREAM....

And the final scene, they literally screamed bloody murder. I highly, highly doubt they were even that scared.

I mean, that movie scared me so much that now I wake up at 5 pm every day to turn my livingroom lights on so I don't wake up later in the dark, but I mean....to scream like that and keep screaming.......whatever. No way. It wasn't THAT scary.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

i don't go to the movies much but that's one of the reasons why i try to go to the matinee showings

kids are usually still in school, there's not a lot of people, and it usually costs less.

course this also means i get to have my favorite spot to sit... at the local theatre here, halfway back they have a wide isle going through the seats to accommodate wheelchairs. right behind that is more regular seating... my fav spot is the front row of that back-half, somewhat in the middle...ish. no one's head's gonna be in front of me and i can stretch my legs out a little.

Comment

The sad thing is, its usually adults talking. THEY should know better! And they set the example for their kids.
                      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                        I also wonder WHY more people don't complain about this behavior.
                        Then again, you didn't complain (to management) either. Not criticizing, I've been in the same situation. When I see rude moviegoers, I keep hoping the jerks will knock it off and start behaving. Besides, it's not like you can pause the movie so you don't miss anything. I also go with friends and don't want to appear "rude" in front of them by complaining. Yeah, I know it doesn't make sense. ~shrugs~
                        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

My wife and I go to matinee shows a couple weeks after release. More than a few times we end up being the only ones in the entire theater. It's wonderful because I can't stand people who talk during movies. Really, we all paid our hard earned (unless your a teenager who has parents who pretend to love you) money to watch it. STFU or GTFO.
                          Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

I've really enjoyed going to the dollar theater, never more than 5-10 people there.
                            Also wasn't Regal doing those handheld devices that you could put in a code and it would request a manager to come in, you could even put in what row and seat the trouble makers were in? was that something that had already started or maybe I saw it on tv as some cool new thing that might be implemented some day??
                            It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. -Office space

Comment

Quoth BarbieGirl View Post
                              I've really enjoyed going to the dollar theater, never more than 5-10 people there.
                              Also wasn't Regal doing those handheld devices that you could put in a code and it would request a manager to come in, you could even put in what row and seat the trouble makers were in? was that something that had already started or maybe I saw it on tv as some cool new thing that might be implemented some day??
                              I could see too many kids/teens abusing it.
                              Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Working...
                              X