This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Darwin Award nominees?

Two bicyclists. Riding side by side, taking up the whole right lane.[1] In the dark. And serious fog. Then through a traffic circle.

I'm guessing one of them was the same guy who ranted on our internal message board yesterday, about the jerk who changed lanes in front of him just before the traffic circle.

Seriously, that traffic circle has been a fustercluck since the day it opened, a few months ago. The daily f*ckery by the idiots in the cars is bad enough. I cannot imagine why someone would want to take their life in their hands by trying to bicycle to work through there - or anywhere else in this state >.<

[1] illegal, unless you can do so without impeding traffic. They were definitely impeding traffic.
    Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
    At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Is a traffic circle similar to a UK roundabout? A round 'island' surrounded by several exits/entrances to different roads.

Comment

Yes. Same thing.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I didn't think you guys had them. I know when I used to cycle, I'd dread going around a roundabout on my bike.

Comment

Oh dear god inmy old state, they were putting them EVERYWHERE! Even places they didn't need to go, like a normal four way intersection! Now I really liked Washington state, but the traffic circles where a bit much. Hate that name too. Why does America have to have their own name for everything?

Comment

At this risk.
            I sometimes wonder if cyclists are trying to get hit. I had a near miss just last week with one running a red near dark with no reflectors or lights of any kind.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

It really amazes me how many cyclists (or at least all the ones I tend to hear about) will always scream about "Share the road!" but then don't want to reciprocate.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
                Oh dear god inmy old state, they were putting them EVERYWHERE! Even places they didn't need to go, like a normal four way intersection! Now I really liked Washington state, but the traffic circles where a bit much. Hate that name too. Why does America have to have their own name for everything?
                You live in Boonsboro, MD? I guess then you're familiar with the Lovettsville "Squirkle". One of the dumbest designs ever created, and proof that VDOT engineers haven't a clue about the real world.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                  At this risk.
                  I sometimes wonder if cyclists are trying to get hit. I had a near miss just last week with one running a red near dark with no reflectors or lights of any kind.
                  Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                  It really amazes me how many cyclists (or at least all the ones I tend to hear about) will always scream about "Share the road!" but then don't want to reciprocate.
                  As a cyclist, I will say there exist two forms of adult cyclists:

A) Ones that share the road space, give as much room as they can to larger vehicles, obey all traffic laws, and are generally laid back unless you try to hit them.

B) Ones that believe cyclists need not follow any laws, and can ride wherever they want, however they want, with whatever equipment they feel like.

These two cannot be differentiated by age, ability, or price of their gear. I've seen lycra'd road warriors blow stop signs, and $99 Walmart specials ride like gentlemen.

Comment

Quoth Signmaker View Post
                    As a cyclist, I will say there exist two forms of adult cyclists:

A) Ones that share the road space, give as much room as they can to larger vehicles, obey all traffic laws, and are generally laid back unless you try to hit them.

B) Ones that believe cyclists need not follow any laws, and can ride wherever they want, however they want, with whatever equipment they feel like.

These two cannot be differentiated by age, ability, or price of their gear. I've seen lycra'd road warriors blow stop signs, and $99 Walmart specials ride like gentlemen.
                    This is indeed correct The problem is that driver's only notice the Type B's, leading to the incorrect adage that "all cyclist's are law-breaking jackasses".

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                      This is indeed correct The problem is that driver's only notice the Type B's, leading to the incorrect adage that "all cyclist's are law-breaking jackasses".
                      I never said that. I know that every group of people have their good ones and the rotten ones. It's just most of us only ever hear about the rotten ones.

That's why I added that caveat "or at least all the ones I tend to hear about." Because, of course, the good ones rarely tend to make the news.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                        I never said that. I know that every group of people have their good ones and the rotten ones. It's just most of us only ever hear about the rotten ones.

That's why I added that caveat "or at least all the ones I tend to hear about." Because, of course, the good ones rarely tend to make the news.
                        You didn't, I did. And you're right, people tend to notice the unsafe things but not the normal, everyday riders. It's the same with motorcycles; you notice the jackasses but never seem to notice the safe, sane ones. In fact, one of the nicest guys I ever met was a motorcyclist who I helped when an SUV turned right in front of him and damn near killed him. The SUV's driver made this one of the oddest experiences I've ever had...

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                          This is indeed correct The problem is that driver's only notice the Type B's, ...
                          Even if they do notice A's, cagers have to operate under the assumption that bicyclists ARE Type-Bs for safety reasons, because there's no way to differentiate. So even if we're a good biker, they have to assume that we may do something stupid at any moment.
                          Last edited by sms001; 01-20-2014, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                            You live in Boonsboro, MD? I guess then you're familiar with the Lovettsville "Squirkle". One of the dumbest designs ever created, and proof that VDOT engineers haven't a clue about the real world.
                            You should check the UK's equivalent. Swindon's "magic roundabout". Six clockwise roundabouts surrounding a central anti-clockwise roundabout. I pray I never have to visit Swindon. Or at least if I do, I hope I never have to use that roundabout.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                              Even if they do notice A's, cagers have to operate under the assumption that bicyclists ARE Type-Bs for safety reasons, because there's no way to differentiate. So even if we're a good biker, they have to assume that we may do something stupid at any moment.
                              Of course, that also applies to all other vehicles on the road. Everyone else is an idiot, so be prepared for them to do something stupid.
                              Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Working...
                              X