This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bus suck

I was downtown and wanted to avoid the usual route I take to the other end because it's always crowded. So I waited for a less-full route. Well, my friend and I were discussing dinner possibilities so I let that one go. An hour later we'd decided we were both too sick to go out and I was faced with the undesirable route again.

Well, I kind of needed this one because it's the only one that goes to my grocery store. I acquiesced. A woman going to the homeless shelter got on, announcing to the bus driver that's where she was going. I guess that's why he let her on with one of those huge metal shopping carts that blocks the aisle. It's technically against the rules, but sometimes they let the person do it if the stop is close by, and it was.

Let me interject here that I think she has some kind of mental disability that engenders hostility. Does that excuse it? Not exactly, but there's something to be said for extending grace to people.

Passengers couldn't get to the back seats, which are raised up and you have to use stairs. I would've gone up there, but I was in pain and I shouldn't be lifting my grocery cart, which I needed today. For the record, mine will fit in my lap if needed. Anyway, homeless lady was talking back at them passive-aggressively. It wasn't nice, but I understand her frustration and that of the other side.

I put my cart on my lap so she could sit there but she didn't. Another lady came on and HL told her there was a seat by me. That lady didn't want it for whatever reason, but honestly I think she was taken aback at the situation and not thinking about her response. She sat by me and gave me a look that told me she was incredulous at HL. I felt the need to apologize for not moving back and why I didn't. She assured me it was no problem. More people got on and she said, "We're gonna have to go up now." She and another man struggled to get past HL's huge cart. Meanwhile the bus had to go, so it did, and I was afraid for people but stuck where I was.

The whole time people were talking about HL and she was passive-aggressively defending herself. It was uncomfortable. I understand why she responded that way, though it would've been better for her not to. She was talking bad about all kinds of things that only she would understand, so I knew she was off.

She got off and then the real suck came out: a lady--I use that term loosely--yelled at the bus driver for not doing his job, for not taking control of the bus. I thought His job is to drive the bus! OK, I could still see both sides, but she could've let it go or complained to the bus company. She elicited my ire when she said something about "We cater to these people..." So a homeless person can't take a 5-minute ride to the shelter once in a blue moon? I sure hope "these people" didn't include the gentleman in a wheelchair opposite her, or my other bus friend who walks with a cane, or me who cannot carry more than 6 or 7 lbs on my shoulder at a time. I really don't know if she meant just homeless people or them plus disabled people. If she did mean the latter, that was hypocritical since she had her foot in a boot.

I was thisclose to telling her the mark of true character is compassion for those who are struggling, even if you feel they don't deserve it. But I thought of the proverb "Don't answer a fool according to his folly" and decided in this situation that was better than "Answer a fool according to his folly." Calling her out on the carpet for her lack of grace and compassion wouldn't have changed her. She's had 50 years or so to develop this bitterness she has and I'm not going to change it with one statement.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Quoth Food Lady View Post
    I was thisclose to telling her the mark of true character is compassion for those who are struggling, even if you feel they don't deserve it. But I thought of the proverb "Don't answer a fool according to his folly" and decided in this situation that was better than "Answer a fool according to his folly." Calling her out on the carpet for her lack of grace and compassion wouldn't have changed her. She's had 50 years or so to develop this bitterness she has and I'm not going to change it with one statement.
    Yes, but "never enter into a battle of wits against someone who is unarmed," so I think you made the right call, Food Lady.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Two "Never argue with a fool" sayings I've heard:

- Onlookers might not be able to tell the difference.

- They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

The thing that stands out to me is that the woman who complained did so after the homeless woman got off the bus. That says a lot. She wanted to take her anger out on someone she knew wouldn't become aggressive towards her.

We used to have a customer who seemed to have mental issues, that also engendered hostility as you put it. She always had a suitcase on wheels, and maybe couldn't hear well? She would sometimes come up to the counter with no number, and loudly and aggressively stated how much she wanted. She didn't seem to understand if anyone tried to explain that it wasn't her turn, but my CWs quickly realized the situation and helped her. Sometimes she would pull a number and every single time, she'd miss it, though she was standing there the whole time. If it was me, I would guess she had that number and desperately try to get her attention, but she would not see me waving or hear me telling her I could help her. Then she'd come up randomly when we were calling a different number. She very clearly was not fully "there" and none of us employees ever, ever gave her a hard time. However occasionally, after she left a customer would complain to me about her.

That's what pissed me off. I'd bet a lot of money that this woman was not being mean on purpose. But the person who came up later mad that I helped the disabled lady first, SHE is being mean on purpose.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I witnessed something a bit like that, but because some parts might be more appropriate for Fratching, I'll just say it involved this: a guy sitting next to me calling the bus company's customer service number to complain about the bus driver accommodating a woman who doesn't always need to use her wheelchair.

Comment

I'm guessing it might be frustration about someone blocking the aisle when her mobility was compromised, or frustrated by getting hassled by homeless people. I've been chased down the street by beggars who "just needed change for something to eat" while reeking of booze and my grocery store is near a train station with a lot of transients. Running the gauntlet just to get milk is tiring.

DISCLAIMER: I am not against the homeless. Anyone can end up needing help. I had a hungry and cold gentleman come into my lobby and ask for a small cup of coffee yesterday, I gave him his coffee as well as a bagel, cream cheese and a banana (we're allowed to eat the breakfast so he got my portion and I ordered a sandwich that day). Homeless people sometimes sneak into our lobby to get breakfast, or to just sit and get out of the cold, I look the other way unless they cause problems.
            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
            X