This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Self-Important to Wait

So, today I have to go home a bit before lunchtime to procure my checkbook because the escrow company handling the house purchase I'm making gave me the wrong figure for the balance of my deposit to seal the deal. >_<

As I'm on my way back, just past the 12:00 hour, I reach an intersection that is pretty notorious for the crazy that goes on around it. Strangely, when the signal isn't working, the people using the intersection are better behaved.

Anyway, I'm stopped at the light, with one car ahead, in the right of two lanes, when this other car comes cruising up on the right and pulls up right next to the car ahead of me, obviously intending to jump the light and pull into the lead once it changes.

Or, well, maybe not once it changes, as he starts inching forward before the cross traffic even has a yellow. He's halfway across the crosswalk by the time the yellow does show up, and he stops for a few seconds as the turn signals go green. Then, while semis and cars are streaming from the other direction to turn across our lanes and head to the right, he starts inching forward again. He manages to inch his car completely past the crosswalk before the opposing traffic's left turn light has gone red. At which point he then guns it about two seconds before our light turns green.

It's people like this and the two dipshits that were playing games and racing one another on the freeway back that make me want to install a dashboard cam in my car.

[edit to add]

Oh, and yet another tailgating thread reminded me of yet another example of driving suck from my little trip this noontime: There was a Sheriff that was riding the bumper of every single car he ended up behind. He did it to me, to the guy next to me, the guy in front of me, a semi, another car to the right, and he was so far up the tailpipe of the guy he was behind the last time I saw him, any slowdown would have caused an accident. I'm talking a distance of less than 10 feet while doing between 30 and 40 mph. >_<

^-.-^
    Last edited by Andara Bledin; 08-30-2011, 09:49 PM.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
    There was a Sheriff that was riding the bumper of every single car he ended up behind. He did it to me, to the guy next to me, the guy in front of me, a semi, another car to the right, and he was so far up the tailpipe of the guy he was behind the last time I saw him, any slowdown would have caused an accident. I'm talking a distance of less than 10 feet while doing between 30 and 40 mph. >_<

^-.-^
    I wonder if he was trying to intimidate you (and everyone else) into speeding up, so that he could then pull you over for speeding.

Comment

In that situation, I would have slowed down. There's no way in hell he could have defended himself against accusations of reckless driving.
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
        There's no way in hell he could have defended himself against accusations of reckless driving.
        He might have tried, DashCam be damned >_>

The thing is, a law enforcement office not only should know better...he does. People like him make the good cops (the overwhelming majority) look bad.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Speaking of tailgating, I saw someone today in a box truck, one of the not-quite-a-semi types, so close to the back of a animal control truck that a Smart car couldn't have gotten between them. Not couldn't have merged between them, but physically would not have fit. On the freeway, at 50 MPH. I have no idea why he felt like drafting, but he stayed that close for a good mile before backing off to a more normal following distance.

Comment

There was a Sheriff that was riding the bumper of every single car he ended up behind.
            some do that to see if you'll speed up - so they can ticket you.

Comment

This one was doing it because he's an asshole.

The last guy whose bumper he was practically humping had another car that he was already tailgating, so it's not like he had anywhere to speed up to.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
              X