This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoyed with the school bus

My son attends school 4 days a week, and a bus picks him up and drops him off at our house. So today I get him ready for the bus, and we go outside to wait. The bus comes between 8:40 and 8:45, so we just always start waiting outside at 8:35 just to make sure we're out there in enough time and he doesn't miss it.

So this morning I notice his bus is running a little late, but don't think much of it. Then another bus drives down our street, and the driver tells me my son's bus broke down and will be running late. Ok no big deal, I can deal with the bus being a little bit late.

My son and I waited on the bus from 8:35 to 9:15, and it never showed up. The only bus we saw is the one who told us the bus was running late. My son was getting impatient and whiny but didn't want to go back inside to wait, so we just waited outside the entire time.

I finally decided to call the school at 9:15, because the bus was half an hour late at this point. The receptionist, had no idea what I was talking about and claimed my son just missed the bus. So I asked her for the transportation department's number, and called them.

They confirmed my son's bus had broken down, and that they sent several buses out to pick the kids up, and called several of the parents to make them aware of the situation. I told them I was not called because I had my phone with me the entire time, and that the only reason I was even aware of the situation is that another driver told me, so communication failure on the part of the school and transportation department.

Then they told me they sent another bus to our house, and that the driver radioed the transportation office several times to confirm our address. But like I mentioned earlier we were literally outside from 8:35 to 9:15 and only saw one bus on our entire street, and that bus only told us that my son's bus was running late. So I have no idea what happened to this other bus that was sent to our house.

I am a non-driver so I couldn't take him to school myself and my husband works nights and was already in bed for the day, so we decided to just keep him home for the day but my son was still upset over the whole thing because he loves going to school.

Maybe the driver who told you about the breakdown was SUPPOSED to pick your son up, but didn't...?
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      Maybe the driver who told you about the breakdown was SUPPOSED to pick your son up, but didn't...?
      That's all I can figure, and the only excuse that could save the transportation department itself (because then it would be the driver himself who fails).
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

My bus always pulled stuff like that; either they came way before the designated window or way after, but the kids were always blamed!
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Why would the second bus not pick up your son if they were the one sent? You were both outside anyway when he pulled over to tell you! Multiple someones screwed up there.

I had to ride the "special bus" when I was in school up til I could drive - and I hated it. Either it came so early it was still dark outside (an hour before school even STARTED) or didn't come so I'd have to beg a neighbor/relative to go, or have my mom write me a note the day after.

Comment

I don't know that the second bus was sent to pick my son up. It drives down our street every day, either right before or right after my son's bus shows up, so the fact that they didn't pick him didn't really strike me as strange. I figured she just stopped to let us know about the situation real quick on her way to her next stop.

I wouldn't have nearly such a problem with all of this, if it was the first time it's happened. But no we've had multiple issues, and the kid's only been in school for a couple months. The first day my son rode the bus we were told he'd be dropped off at 12:15. 12:45 shows up and no bus. I call the school to find out what the hell is going on, only to have the same receptionist tell me that all the buses are back at the school, and my son is not in the school.

Right after that the bus showed up, turns out we were told the wrong drop off time, and the bus was running late on top of it. Again no communication with the parents, and no communication between the buses and school. It's ridiculous.

Comment

I lived with a family in Idaho back a few years, and their bus picked up at 6:30, even though they were only 2 miles from the school! I get that it was a rural area, but surely having the kids stuck on the bus for over an hour is no way to keep them alert & ready for school?
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I never had THAT gross of an error with my school system that I can remember. Although I do recall one day when the bus was running late.

I got off the bus knowing I was *close* to missing the first bell and just walked to the office. When I said the bus was running late they told me "no it's not" ... because the bus driver never told them. I don't remember if I said anything else, maybe stating that the bus had JUST let us off... although I don't think it happened again either.

But I'm betting... if the other bus that went buy wasn't the right one, then they never sent a driver or the one they sent never even went to your area and just "claimed" you weren't there instead of being honest.
                Last edited by PepperElf; 11-18-2011, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  But I'm betting... if the other bus that went buy wasn't the right one, then they never sent a driver or the one they sent never even went to your area and just "claimed" you weren't there instead of being honest.
                  Kind of like the package delivery people who don't even try to ring the doorbell (or, in some cases, don't even stop, period) and claim the recipient never answered?
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                  - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                    Kind of like the package delivery people who don't even try to ring the doorbell (or, in some cases, don't even stop, period) and claim the recipient never answered?
                    Oh, you mean UPS...They're really bad about that around here. They also tend to ignore when I leave a box marked DELIVERIES IN HERE PLEASE when it's raining, as I prefer not to have boxes full of computer parts getting soggy on the ground >_<
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                      I get aggravated at whoever delivers my Dad's Embrel medication. It's a medication that needs to be refrigerated and SAYS SO IN OBVIOUS LABELS ON THE BOX. Yes, the box contains a styrofoam cooler with cooler packs surrounding the medicine, but that stuff won't hold forever.

And they've just left it sitting on the front step, without ever ringing the doorbell, even when there are cars parked in front of the house.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                      X