This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road closure woes!

I set off from work at 4:30pm today. A journey that normally takes me 25 minutes at this time (15 minutes if theres zero obstructions).

I heard on the radio as I set off that a road nearby was closed - this road is the opposite direction to where I was going, but nearby enough to cause traffic to turn back and go the way I was going! So I knew I might encounter heavier than normal traffic.

Theres a point on my journey where a 2 lane each way road turns to a 1 lane at a roundabout. Theres usually a bottleneck here, and traffic ends up queueing down the 2 lane stretch. It was, quite badly - worse than I've ever seen it. So I took the turn off at the roundabout, which takes me a different route home, its a bit longer, and joins my normal route about 3-4 miles later.

However, about 600-700 metres before I rejoined my normal route, the police had a road closure on with an ambulance etc, someone had tried to wrap their car around a tree or somesuch. So I had a quick think. Half the roads in south yorkshire must be closed!

I turned back and parked up to think. One route I could go would take me to a right turn onto a very busy road - I really hate doing this. The only other reasonable option was to go back the way I just came and QUEUE! I queued for about 25 minutes (longer than I would have if I'd stayed here to start with). The journey took me over an hour. To get 10 miles.

When I finally cleared the traffic (and got onto rural roads where the limit is 60mph), I then got stuck behind idiots who didnt want to go faster than 30, and BRAKED every time something came the other way! Why do people do this?! The road is wide enough for 2 cars (or lorries, or freakin' wide loads!) to pass! I turned off again, onto an even quieter road, and floored it. It felt sooo good. Its a good job I know all the local roads!

I was going to get diesel on my way home, but after driving for an hour, I decided to leave it till tomorrow.
Working...
X