This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffet Blues or We Are Not A Bar

We run a Buffet Weekdays at Lunch Time and Tuesdays at night. It's a fantastic deal - all you can eat Pizza and Salad for 8 bucks (Drink not included), and is consequently very popular. On Tuesdays, we call it Family Night. Once upon a time, Family Night was a jovial affair that featured Kids Movies and Face Painting and Games, but it kinda halted after the Powers That Be took us over. Lately, we've been trying to revitalize it by making use of my extensive kids movie collection. It was working great until the Powers That Be switched us to Direct Tv and got rid of the system that let us play movies over the overhead speakers on both TVs. Sad face goes here...

Buffet is great, but it brings out it's share of Things I Hate:

- People who walk up to the Buffet, and pile half a pizza onto their plate. Come on, A) We bring out more and B) you're denying anybody else who may want a slice of that and C) Inevitably there's a ton of non-eaten slices on that plate when we go to clear the table. Really?

- Large Groups who show up, wipe out the Buffet, then complain when there's no pizza out (More on this in a bit)

- We're happy to do requests (so long as it's something we think a lot of people will eat), but sometimes we'll do one and find, due to busyness, the person who requested it didn't even get a slice (thanks usually to those Half A Pizza people).

- Men who come to Family Night then whine when we're showing a kids movie instead of ESPN. It's for the Kids! It's one night a week! Come on!

- People who request a Pizza near the end of the buffet then only eat one slice of it. Grrr...

- Nt Buffet related, but people who ask me complex questions about beer. I don't know. I don't drink. The extent of my beer knowledge is the name of the beer and how much it costs. I don't know the alchohol content. I don't know what it tastes like. I don't drink. Stop asking me. (True story: Guy asks me a lot of questions, I mention I don't drink, and he stares at me for a moment before asking "Well, then what do you drink? Water... Soda... Milk... Tea... you know, not Beer. He later complained there wasn't enough alchohol in his drink. Didn't you drive to get here buddy? Bah...)

Which leads me to the point that We Are Not A Bar:

Last night was Buffet night, and as the last couple weeks had been kinda slow, I figured we'd be fine. We'd managed to get the DVD player hooked up to one of the TV's (the other was playing a Baseball game) and we got our kids movie rolling. It was slow, everything was fine...

Then a guy walks in. Orders a buffet, a picher of beer, then casually mentions that there are 16 MORE OF THEM Walking In.

Ohhboy. The Buffet is cleared in seconds, and they start demanding to know where the Pizzas are. They're coming, they're coming.

Even so, they weren't terrible, (other then demanding a basketball game on the ONE TV reserved for the kids movie - the tv, that incidently, was in front of the one place in the Restraunt they decided to occupy). But what really drove me nuts was the amount of beer they bought.

We are not a bar. We have 8 different beers on tap (unusually high for a Pizza Castle) but that's it. On an average night we'll sell a couple glasses and maybe a Pitcher. On an intense night, we'll sell 4-5 pitchers and 16 odd glasses. Like I said, we are not a bar.

These 17 guys ordered, between the lot of them, 27 Pitchers of Beer. Twenty. Seven. That's nearly a Pitcher and a Half per person. We ran out of pitchers to give them. We ran out of glasses to give them. I'm pretty sure they emptied at least two of our beer cases (which are supposed to last a week to two weeks). Fortunately, they were rooming at the hotel across the street, so none of them drove anywhere. I hope.

At 9:00, 30 minutes before close, one of them asked when we closed. I told them, and he said, quote, "Don't worry, we don't want to make you stay long. We'll leave by then."

An hour later, they finally did leave, leaving a huge mess for the only two remaining people - myself and my driver - in the restraunt to clean up. Oiy.

So please friends, if you're going to order that much beer, go to a bar? You'll have a better selection and you want drive poor Pizza guys like me crazy.

Quoth Pizza Reverend View Post
    - We're happy to do requests (so long as it's something we think a lot of people will eat), but sometimes we'll do one and find, due to busyness, the person who requested it didn't even get a slice (thanks usually to those Half A Pizza people).
    In cases where it's busy, and someone makes a request, why doesn't management arrange to have the buffet staff stop off at the requester's table on the way to the buffet, to ensure that they have a chance at the pizza they ordered? Also, why isn't there a rule (enforced) of 2 slices per trip (if kids have a lower price, make it 1 slice per trip for kids) to stop the "half a pizza" people?

I guess that would trigger the "if it makes sense, it's not allowed" rule.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      In cases where it's busy, and someone makes a request, why doesn't management arrange to have the buffet staff stop off at the requester's table on the way to the buffet, to ensure that they have a chance at the pizza they ordered? Also, why isn't there a rule (enforced) of 2 slices per trip (if kids have a lower price, make it 1 slice per trip for kids) to stop the "half a pizza" people?

I guess that would trigger the "if it makes sense, it's not allowed" rule.
      If we're not too busy, we'll take the request over, but when it's busy, we often don't have a chance too.

And while I'd love to enforce a slice rule (even 3 per trip would be fine and dandy), I really don't see a practical way to do so.

Comment

My favorite treat of the week is when I get to go to pizza castle's (great name!) Buffet for lunch. The downside is that it tends to be towards the end and there is ALWAYS one person/group who will hog all the garlic and cinnamon sticks! Who needs ten at once?
        Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

Pizza Ranch. Everything else is a poor substitute.

Pizza PLUS fried chicken (good too, not the crap KFC calls "fried chicken") PLUS mashed potatoes and gravy PLUS salad PLUS desert pizzas of several kinds.

Yeah, I spend a few dollars there.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Have a place that does a pizza buffet here, they also take requests. Unfortunately a bunch of people always requests stuff with sausage on them. Then when my pineapple and mushroom comes up it's usually gone by the time I get there. It's gotten to the point I'll sit and wait for my request to be called so I can go up and grab a nice selection. Since they do the six slice pizzas to keep them moving fast, yes I will grab "half a pizza".

What I detest is the ones who complain about the selection but won't give the guys a request.

Comment

And while I'd love to enforce a slice rule (even 3 per trip would be fine and dandy), I really don't see a practical way to do so.
              ...And trying to would likely result in the SC intentionally touching one or more of the "excess" pieces with their bare hands, forcing you to toss most or all of the pie (about which they will then whine...)

>_< So, yeah, effectively unenforceable. About all you could do is have a sign up nicely asking people to restrain themselves -- and nobody goes to eat at a buffet with the intention of restraining themselves.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Only a little related, but as much as I hate to say it, if you were using your home movie collection, that is generally a BIG no-no, there is usually a notice at the start stating that the video/DVD is explicitly for home use only and under copyright law screening them in a public location is in fact illegal.

Taverns, restaurants, private clubs, prisons, lodges, factories, summer camps, public libraries, day-care facilities, parks and recreation departments, churches, and non-classroom use at schools and universities are all examples of situations where a public performance license must be obtained.
                Definitely don't mean to sound rude or anything, but the last thing I'd want to see is a pissed off SC thinking "Oooo! I know how I can REALLY stick it to them" and report the place for copyright violations - I realise you can't screen them there these days due to changes in the system, but thought you might still like to know.
                Violets are blue,
                Roses are red,
                I bequeath to thee...
                A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
                  Only a little related, but as much as I hate to say it, if you were using your home movie collection, that is generally a BIG no-no, there is usually a notice at the start stating that the video/DVD is explicitly for home use only and under copyright law screening them in a public location is in fact illegal.

Definitely don't mean to sound rude or anything, but the last thing I'd want to see is a pissed off SC thinking "Oooo! I know how I can REALLY stick it to them" and report the place for copyright violations - I realise you can't screen them there these days due to changes in the system, but thought you might still like to know.

Really? 0o

I know it'd be illegal if I were charging for entry or something, but it's really illegal just to show them?

Wow.

Wait, Walmart shows current releases on their TV's all the time. Is that illegal too?

Comment

Wait, Walmart shows current releases on their TV's all the time. Is that illegal too?
                    They probably have an agreement with the production companies or distributors to show the movies as a way of selling them.

Years back, Hardees in town used to show Disney movies on a TV in their playroom. It's probably a reasonably common thing.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I know it'd be illegal if I were charging for entry or something, but it's really illegal just to show them?
                      Illegal is a bit strong. Copyright is mostly a civil thing, and most copyright holders will start with a C&D letter, rather than suing right out of the gate. The bigger a company you are, the more likely is a suit.

If you saw the deal, you'd probably be shocked at what they pay DirecTV for public showing rights, but it means they don't have to worry about anything - DTV makes sure it's all good. All the cable companies have the same kind of deals available.

Stores like Wal-mart generally have a deal, though I suspect most smaller mom-and-pop places went on the 'wink and a nod' plan, rather than anything official.
                      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

http://www.mpaa.org/contentprotectio...erformance-law

The law as they see it/it is written. There is also a paragraph about obtaining a license to show it in a public setting.

Comment

Walmart, and places like that, pay for licenses to show the movies. Heck, I worked at a church and we had to buy a license for certain songs/hymns to be played/performed. Not the really old ones, you understand, but the ones that were still under copyright protection!

Comment

The local pizza hut has a buffet, and at least two staff members standing guard over it to make sure that no-one abuses it. They have their work cut out and I feel sorry for them every time I go there.
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Two things.

First, not everyone who takes half a pizza is a wastrel. Some people, myself included, eat pretty much everything we take off of buffet. If I take half a pizza, I eat it all. The only thing you'll see left on my plate is the crusts, which I never eat.

Secondly, while that is a lot of beer for your establishment, it is really not that huge an amount for a bunch of hungry beer-drinking guys. I can (and have) put away 2-3 pitchers of beer myself, and I am hardly a large guy, at 5'8" and 160 lbs. Also, you say these guys should have gone to a bar, but you also said their hotel was right across the way. Seems like the safe thing to do was exactly what they did...go to the place right by their hotel, meaning no one has to drive. Also, if you want good pizza and beer, you are not gonna go to a bar, but to a pizza place with beer. Makes perfect sense to me. While your place may not normally do that kind of beer business, I hardly find it inappropriate. Hopefully these guys tipped well.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X