This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One from the archives

This is one of my favorite SC stories though it happened years ago and I'm quite sure there were extenuating circumstances as I knew this SC and this was entirely a one off situation.

I was working at a hospital system call center when my phone rang. I was greeted with the following.

"I don't know how the $^#@ I'm supposed to get my messages. I'm a doctor and I'm very busy and I don't have time for this #%(."

Now, I'm pretty quick with the words and I quickly countered with "what?"

"Yes, you paged me and everytime I dial xxx-xxxx it's &^*&ing busy. I've been trying for half an hour and it's always busy..."

She continued on with her rant while I was acting quickly, jotting down the phone number. I was puzzled because it was an internal hospital number and it wasn't ours nor was it one I recognized and I was one of two or three people in the entire system who was the phone number guru.

I knew numbers that weren't in any directory. I knew all the doctor's call room numbers. I knew the number to a waiting room in the basement that was only in use for a couple of hours a day. I knew the fax numbers that were outbound only machines in the laboratory.

I didn't know this number and I was most assuredly going to find out.

After jotting it down I looked back at my monitor and it hit me. I knew what that phone number was.

"Maam, did you say you've been calling xxx-xxxx?"

"Yes."

"Maam, that's the number you're calling me from. You've been dialing yourself."

At that point she hung up.

Now, I've told that story many times and no matter how much people begged, bribed or pleaded I've never told anyone who the doctor was so doc, if you're reading this, unless you've told this story, your secret is safe with me.

That's the greatest thing I've ever read!!
    My Wajas cave

Comment

Working...
    X