This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASSumptions

So yesterday I had this interesting little experience. I've been working a lot of full 8-hour shifts lately and it's also been really hot out(yesterday was 106, a record for where I live). I was most of the way through my shift and my last break was late. I know for a fact I was not smiling much because I was hot and exhausted and irritated that my break was late. So anyway, this is what happened:

Me: *ringing up groceries, bagging as usual, lifting things I shouldn't have because the hand scanner was broken*
    SC: "Well you might hate your job but just remember it could be a lot worse!"

That's it! Out of nowhere, as I'm finishing this guy's purchase. The way he said it seemed to me that he was not happy with my semi-scowl that I probably had on my face, even though I had been polite as usual and said hello when I started his purchase and lugged his soda to the scanner without complaint, etc. I REALLY wanted to say "Well, I know it could because I was looking for work for 18 months before I finally got this job!" But it would have come out with attitude and made everything worse so I just sort of ignored it, handed him his receipt wished him a good day and sent him off.

I don't hate my job; I actually like it pretty well. I'm definitely thankful to have it since I was out of work for so long before I finally got the offer. Most of my co-workers are great. It's jerks like this guy that make me hate it.

*As a side note, I sometimes end up with a frown of sorts on my face when I'm concentrating on my work. It makes me look like I'm mad. I try to remember this and remember to relax my face but it doesn't always work.
    Last edited by MelindaJoy77; 07-02-2013, 03:02 PM.
    Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

I know that feel. My teachers used to ask me ALL THE TIME throughout high school and college if I was okay or if something was wrong.

Nothing was wrong, I'm just thinking.

They told me that my "thinking" face is the face you give someone when they've told you something and you doubt it. It's like this brows-knitted scowl like I think you're describing as what you have.

Comment

Another fellow sufferer of Chronic Bitchface. I promise I'm not upset, it's just my resting face!

Comment

Oh no! Looks like you suffer from either Bitchy Resting Face or Asshole Face.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?=3v98CPXNiSk

Comment

Same here, I have to actively relax my face if I'm concentrating/thinking. It lead to many warnings when I worked at a grocery store. Even now my husband will ask if I'm pissed or thinking.

Comment

I suffer from the same affliction. People are constantly asking me if I'm okay. Really, I'm fine, but if you keep asking I might get pissed.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I, too, suffer this affliction. Hearing "SMILE!" or "It can't be that bad!" just makes me twitch. Of course, that's mostly because, where I work, retaliation against "funny" SCs is... well... a no-no.
              "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I sometimes got that "are you okay?" question in school.

Granted this was because I'd be reading before class, but I did it by resting my book in my lap or in the bookholder under the desk and would rest my head on my arm as I did it. It made me look like I was upset or crying or something.

Eventually people figured it out, and it stopped being an issue.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Honestly, I really wish people would stop commenting on other peoples' expressions. There's no law that says you have to smile all the time. Frankly, I find people who walk around with huge, toothy, ear-to-ear smiles to be a lot more off-putting than someone who's frowning.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I wonder if you'd be able to cheer yourself up with the words, "Boy, you'd really stink as a motivational speaker...", or, "You must be popular at funerals..."

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
                      Another fellow sufferer of Chronic Bitchface. I promise I'm not upset, it's just my resting face!
                      Yes!! That's exactly it! Thanks for the link
                      Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        Honestly, I really wish people would stop commenting on other peoples' expressions. There's no law that says you have to smile all the time. Frankly, I find people who walk around with huge, toothy, ear-to-ear smiles to be a lot more off-putting than someone who's frowning.
                        When I was in college, I had several classes with someone like that. She actually said something to me about how "sad" I looked in the morning. My reply was something like "Erin, it's 8am. I'm not awake yet and I'm lacking caffeine." I wasn't trying to be rude, that's just how I am at 8am
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

You know... you could have responded to him by telling him something horrible just happened to you just to give him that extra douchebag feel.

"just found out my mother passed away this morning!"

Or

"I just backed over my brand new kitten on the way out of my driveway!"

I am sure you could come up with something tragic enough to make him feel like the utter douchebag he is... LOL

Comment

People should really mind their own stupid business instead of memorizing the expressions of strangers and then making stupid baseless judgments about how they THINK that person feels. If you are THAT bored with your life, go get a hobby, or get a new life!!!

Comment

Oh lord, I used to get in trouble at school for that. Out of nowhere, Shiro, go think in the hallway!!

NOBODY told me I was frowning like hell when I was concentrating until 3 years after I left college! My elementary school teachers thought I was mad at them for staring at them intently like this

NO! I'm trying to learn!!!
                              Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Working...
                              X