This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woes of a Library Digital Media Lab

So this is my first time posting but I started a new job a few months ago and its pretty entertaining. I work in a Digital Media lab that is part of a library. Basically it is a video and audio studio with lots of equipment and a lot of software. The space is free for any patron who belongs to our library. So the few stories I have so far.

Sandwich-
    We do not allow any food or uncovered drinks anywhere in the library except in the cafe.
    A regular patron W booked an audio booth but it took us nearly an hour to get it set up since it was my first time dealing with the equipment. I felt bad for cutting into his time so I decided to let him know that I was going to give him extra time. I open the lovely soundproof door and there he is eating a pb&j in our lovely brand new booth. Lets just say he didn't get any extra time.

Just because it can does not mean it should-
    As stated above we have soundproof booths they are rated to 60decibals(db). We found out the hard way our speakers go up to 110db. I feel like they don't quite get it when I explain that 60db is rated at the volume of aircraft. So if I can hear the lyrics through the doors it might be a bit too loud. Apparently I have dog like hearing. Most of the guys are smart enough not to annoy me and will turn it down as soon as I knock on the door others not so much. According to them I am lying when I tell them that by playing the monitors so loud they can blow them out. I will let them figure that one out when they are on the hook for $100 speakers.

Karma is really funny-
    The audio booths are extremely popular and we have had wall to wall bookings and are busy from open to close mostly dealing with the booths. At least its job security. It has attracted a certain element seriously I did not realize there were that many rappers/hip hop artists in that town. They are pretty much split between two groups are older guys who appreciate the free space and knowledgeable staff and our young punks who steal beats and think they are going to get a contract with what they are doing.
    Not so much but I digress on this lovely Saturday evening we are full of patrons most of the computer lab and audio booths are full and everyone is enjoying themselves. While my coworker R and I finish checking in a couple of regulars and me reminding them that they need to watch their language in the library (think of the children!!). Me and coworker hear that very same language at a very loud volume. R jumps up and tells them to chill out and watch their language. They decide to argue with R. R solves the problem by picking up our lovely radios and calling for security. They bolt out of their never to be seen again. Yayyy! I guess they wanted in one of the booths to watch and hang out but the people who were in there wouldn't let them in because they didn't know them.
    But it gets better security makes it down right after and asks if we called the cops. We tell them no we just called security and it couldn't have been a patron since we have to cell coverage in our space. It seems that when they walked out the cops were already there and arrested them as soon as they walked out the doors for drugs. So lesson of the day don't swear at the library.

Quoth defaultbynature84 View Post
    So lesson of the day don't swear at the library.
    Bwahahahahahahahahhahahaha.

Funniest thing I've seen all day!

Comment

Another lesson: Don't carry drugs on you at the library, either.

Ask the regular customer at my grocery store who got busted for shoplifting a jar of coffee . . . and got hauled out of our breakroom in shiny silver bracelets b/c he had pot on him.

If you're going to commit any kind of crime, empty your pockets first. But there again, if you have outstanding warrants, don't come in my store to shoplift either - our boys in black can and WILL run a check on your name if you are caught and they are called in.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Welcome aboard default!

I'm jealous of your library. Mine has books. And that's fine and all, but....

Comment

I don't mean to be pedantic but you are brushing up against what I do for a living.

60db is really quiet. It's about equivalent to a quiet office or a quiet conversation. A jet would be more up in the 100-130db range (and this is a logarithmic scale so an increase of 10db would be the same as multiplying the sound level by a factor of 10; a 100db noise is 10,000 times louder than a 60db noise).

I think maybe you mean the soundproofing is rated to reduce the sound level by 60db? So if you had a 120db noise level in the booth, outside the booth it should be reduced to a quiet 60db level.
          You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Your right I was mistaken on how I explained it. I wasn't really hired for my audio skills but for my film, animation, and graphic design skills.

Comment

Working...
            X