This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What motivation would I have to lie?

The backstory to this is that the pension company I work at used to sell policies with guaranteed annuities back in the eighties. Basically, if you were lucky enough to invest in one of these, you'll get back about five times your investment in fund value and twice the pension of any other company (which is why nowhere sells them any more).
    One old man called up to ask about his pension and ended up speaking to me (and taking my name which is where it all went wrong). He got a quote and then, once it arrived, called to complain about me. Apparently we (or in his mind, I) didn't offer enough tax free cash (HMRC limits are that you can take 25% of your fund as tax free cash once you start the pension paying). Because of the guarantee, he felt that his fund value should be twice what it was, as with his other pensions, so clearly we were stealing his extra fund value and tax free money.
    Complaints dealt with him, I ended up having to send a transfer quote and a new retirement quote (with the same values but still, had to send one) and he phoned up every single day for four weeks to moan at me about it. He was planning to transfer to another pension company to "teach you a lesson about stealing my money", and every single time he called after the first week, he asked if we'd got the forms yet. He kept telling me that I was lying when I said they'd not been received, then suddenly stopped calling, sent in his pension forms and took an annuity from us.
    I was slightly baffled by this, although happy to not deal with him any more, and managed to get an explanation from complaints. Apparently he'd managed to find a fraudulent pension company and was trying to move his money to them because they'd found a "loophole" to let him take it all tax-free. Yep, didn't end well when he found out and he was too embarassed to call again to ask about anything.
    Seriously though, why did he think I was lying about the forms? It's not like I wanted to keep him as a customer and, to be honest, if he'd actually been defrauded I'd probably still be laughing. It's slightly mean, but he kept boasting about how he planned to buy a jaguar with the money he'd get.

What's the phrase? You can't cheat an honest man? If it's too good to be true it probably is? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush? You'd think a pensioner would have heard at least ONE of those warnings in his life.

And I have to assume that although it was you personally siphoning off his loot, you had the entire company turning a blind eye or willfully cooperating with you? There's a hole in that logic you could drive a lorry through.

Comment

Quoth Kal View Post
      He got a quote and then, once it arrived, called to complain about me. Apparently we (or in his mind, I) didn't offer enough tax free cash (HMRC limits are that you can take 25% of your fund as tax free cash once you start the pension paying). Because of the guarantee, he felt that his fund value should be twice what it was, as with his other pensions, so clearly we were stealing his extra fund value and tax free money.
      I hate that so much! It's a QUOTE. It's a contract. I will perform x and you will give me $y. If the customer doesn't like it, he doesn't have to sign the quote/go forward with the contract! How could you be stealing anything from him after a quote? He either agrees that your quote is reasonable and goes ahead or disagrees and never has to talk to you again. What could possibly be going on in his mind to accuse you of stealing. I'm pretty sure that would be a major firing and jailing offense in one charged with looking after peoples pensions!

Sorry, I really hate people freaking out about quotes, a worthless piece of paper (until it is signed), that costs nothing to aquire, and has no effect on anyone, anywhere (unless it is signed).
      Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Since you were dealing with an elderly person, I have to wonder if some sort of memory/mental issue was involved as well. Either that or it's just a case of somebody who got a bee up his butt about something and wasn't about to let it go, no matter what anybody told him. If one of his kids had tried to correct him, he'd probably have suspected you of bribing them to take your side.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
          Sorry, I really hate people freaking out about quotes, a worthless piece of paper (until it is signed), that costs nothing to aquire, and has no effect on anyone, anywhere (unless it is signed).
          That's the one that keeps getting me whenever the markets drop. People will phone up to shout about their plan being worth less now when they were promised a higher amount. If their plan goes up in value though, you can guarantee that they'll not phone up to demand the lower amount.

No! It's not a promise! It even says on the damn thing that these quotes are not guaranteed - once on the quote, once in the factsheets and once in the letter that accompanies it. People only ever see what they want to see though, it's why "Sale" posters cause such pain to shop workers.

Comment

Working...
          X