This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My ten dollar bill is really a twenty

I have really enjoyed coming here and reading everyone's experiences. I've worked grocery retail for a while, and it's oddly comforting knowing others also experience the customer crazy that's out there. Thought I'd share a few..

My 10 Dollar Bill Is Really A 20 Dollar Bill

I was working the express checkout line when I rang up this guy's groceries, and he didn't have enough money.
    Me: Your total comes to nineteen dollars and eighty cents.
    SC: (He slams down a TEN dollar bill onto the counter.) Here you go!
    Me: (I wait, expecting him to put down more cash) Umm.. Your total is nineteen eighty.
    SC: Take it! It's a twenty.
    Me: I'm sorry. That's a ten, not a twenty.
    SC: (He looks at the bill) No. It's a twenty.
    …....this continues on for about a minute... and it was plain as day a ten dollar bill
    Me: (Confused) Sir. It's clearly a ten, not a twenty. What can I …..
    SC: It's a twenty! My wife says she gave me a twenty! So, it's a twenty!
    Me: Sir. That's a ten dollar bill.
    SC: (He pushes the ten dollar bill towards me) Just take the twenty!
    Me: Sir. It's a ten. I can't just take a ten and pretend it's a twenty.
    SC: It's a twenty! My wife said she gave me a twenty. This is all I have in my wallet. Therefore, it must be a twenty!
    Me: If you like, I can take some items off your order to make it less than ten dollars, or I can hold your items here while you go get some more cash. I'd be happy to take a check or card as payment.
    SC: JUST!.....TAKE!....THE!.....TWENTY!! (Yes. He was yelling.)

I noticed my line had backed up by this point. The next customer looked dumbfounded. I paused for about ten seconds, trying to think of a way to diffuse this.

Me: It's......a..........ten. (It's all I could muster. And I said it calmly and deadpan.)

The SC then slams his hand onto the counter, grabs his ten dollar bill, as he gives me the evil stare, and walks out.
    Crazy. He expected me to treat the ten dollar bill as a twenty, just because his wife mistakenly handed him a ten instead of a twenty.

The Sign Says 'Keep Out'. It's There For A Reason.

I was part of the crew cleaning and waxing the floors overnight. Store is open 24 hours, so there are a few customers wandering around. This particular night we were stripping the old wax off the floor. The chemical stripper essentially liquifies the old wax on the floor so it can be removed. The wax and stripper turn into this white goo that is ultra slick. We placed orange cones around the area being stripped. We also placed bright yellow tape at waist height to keep customers out of the area. We hung 8X10 signs on the yellow tape which read 'Keep Out' and 'Wet Wax'. As I spread stripper over the floor with a floor machine, making the area extremely slippery, I noticed a customer, about ten feet away, go around the orange cones, and crawl under the yellow tape. He took a few steps onto the wax/stripper goo covered floor. He looked at me, and said, "It's OK if I walk through here. Right?" Before I could say anything, he took a step. His feet slipped out from under him. He landed flat on his back, with his legs up. I didn't know what to say. So I said, "No, you can't walk through here. And I think you know why." I asked if he was OK. He said he was. He struggled to get up. His feet kept slipping. He held his hand out toward me, motioning for me to help him. As I made my way toward him, I told him it would be better if he got himself up, 'cause if he took my hand he'd probably just pull me down with him. So he got himself up. His hands, legs, entire backside, including the back of his head, were covered in liquidy wax goo. He carefully went under the yellow tape, and walked out the front door.
    'Keep Out' signs aren't there for decoration.

I would have pretended it was a $5. I bet he would have "realized" quickly he only had a $10.

Comment

I'm thinking that, maybe, his partner didn't "mistakenly" do anything...That, or he's just a REALLY shitty liar who was trying to scam you.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Methinks the first guy was a fan of Derren Brown, and couldn't believe he couldn't get the trick to work.

As for the wax floor guy? Epic karma.

Comment

Im wondering why you didnt just point out a "2" and "0" right on the bill.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
            Im wondering why you didnt just point out a "2" and "0" right on the bill.
            Because if OP touched the bill, the customer would have claimed it was switched on him.

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
              Because if OP touched the bill, the customer would have claimed it was switched on him.
              Yea, he was probably hoping that SixFortyK would pick up the bill so he could claim it was a $20 and the stupid, mean cashier was trying to scam him. Good job letting him make a fool of himself instead.

Comment

Quoth SixFortyK View Post
                SC: It's a twenty! My wife says she gave me a twenty! So, it's a twenty!
                I can claim my beat up Chevy Cavalier is a brand-new Mercedes Benz. Doesn't make it so or give me a more comfortable ride. Wake up and smell the reality, dude.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

:Snort: So many other comparisons could be made to the first, but then I'd be banished to fratching LOL

It does sound like the old, "No, I gave you a $20" scam... just the operator was too dumb to get it to actually work.

The floorwax story is epic karma I am surprised that he just left and didn't demand compensation or a manager or threaten to sue. LOL

Comment

One word:SCAM! Customers like to troll for people they think are new cashiers. I was filling in up front & this happened to me.
                    SC: I gave you a fifty.
                    Me: No, you gave me 2 twenties.
                    SC: I KNOW I gave you a fifty.
                    Me: ::pens drawer::: I have no fifties in my drawer, Sir.
                    SC stomps off
                    Me thinking " Nice try, Dickhead"
                    Last edited by JustShootMe; 07-25-2013, 03:53 PM. Reason: Shitty typing skils
                    Here Mr Customer, let me pull that out of my arse for you!

Comment

The first dude was probably a scammer. Or doped up. Or really stupid.

Or, one thing no one else has suggested: he's been proven wrong so many times by his wife he's come to the conclusion that she is always right. So, despite the cashier and his own eyes telling him plain as day that the bill he had was a ten, since his wife told him it was a twenty, it simply had to be a twenty.

It's like that old phrase by the guy who's wife has caught him in bed with another woman: "Who are you gonna believe--me or your lying eyes?"

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        "Who are you gonna believe--me or your lying eyes?"
                        There ain't no way to hide your lying eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyes...
                        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

It's an outside chance, but I wonder if the guy couldn't see well and his wife told him she gave him a $20. If he was severely farsighted he may not have been able to tell the difference.

That being said - he's still an ass.

I did something like this a couple of years ago but it was an accident. I'm sure the employee serving me thought I was a scammer, though.

I was at a movie theater. I had meant to pay for some snacks with a $20 and use some of the change to get quarters for the video games. For whatever reason I gave the guy a $10 instead. Just a brain fart on my behalf. When I didn't get the change back I thought I was, I asked if I had given him a $10 or a $20. He showed me the $10 I gave him. I then discovered the $20 in my pocket.

Throroughly humiliated, I apologized and slunk off.

Comment

Quoth JustShootMe View Post
                            One word:SCAM! Customers like to troll for people they think are new cashiers. I was filling in up front & this happened to me.
                            SC: I gave you a fifty.
                            Me: No, you gave me 2 twenties.
                            SC: I KNOW I gave you a fifty.
                            Me: ::pens drawer::: I have no fifties in my drawer, Sir.
                            SC stomps off
                            Me thinking " Nice try, Dickhead"
                            Years back, I was on the flip side of this. I'd given the cashier a 20 and he said it was a 10. Finally had to call over a manager and count the till. I got my extra 10 bucks and I hope the cashier got an earful.

I was informed later by a friend that this is *why* there's a shelf above the drawer on most cash registers. You are supposed to place the bill(s) there and not put them in the till until the customer accepts the change. This avoids those arguments.

Comment

Quoth ComputerNecromancer View Post
                              *snip*
                              I was informed later by a friend that this is *why* there's a shelf above the drawer on most cash registers. You are supposed to place the bill(s) there and not put them in the till until the customer accepts the change. This avoids those arguments.
                              That's what I did when I worked for Big Green Supermarket; however, in my current job, I was told we do NOT do this. Can't remember whether I was given a reason. But it makes no sense to me NOT to put the cash on the shelf until the customer accepts his/her change.

Comment

Working...
                              X