Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The truth is out there (so look somewhere else for it)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The truth is out there (so look somewhere else for it)

This is a slightly weird one, involving two coworkers too, but it started with me (sadly).
    I work for a pensions company, not too well-known as we don't take new business and advertise anywhere and we haven't taken new business since the mid-nineties.
    On Monday a company called me and asked to speak to our SIPP (self invested pensions, don't ask me what they are, we don't do them so I've never bothered to look into it) department because we're transferring to them via drawdown. I explain that we don't have that department, don't do that anyway and check the company name they think they've called. It's not actually my company, it's fairly similar, but the other end of the country so... I explain this to them and they ask me for the phone number. Call ends there, the people in the office all laugh about it, end.
    Yesterday they called back. Same question but got to a coworker this time who'd heard me being baffled by this the other day. They explained the same thing again, checked the company they wanted, said that we still didn't have "random company"'s phone number and the call ended.
    This afternoon they called again! Got through to yet another coworker and started insisting that we were the right company and were just refusing to help. She asked them what company they were calling for and got the answer "Yours, obviously!", and a complete refusal to give any more information, even their own company name, at this point. They refused to listen to the fact that this still wasn't the right company, complained about our unhelpfulness for another five minutes then hung up. Everyone in the office burst out laughing at this.
    I'm betting that we get another call from them tomorrow. Clearly the facts are not going to get in the way for these people.

Can you patch the office laugh track into the call so they hear it?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Kal View Post
      SIPP (self invested pensions, don't ask me what they are, we don't do them so I've never bothered to look into it)
      If it's what I think, then it's where the pension company does all the contact and paperwork, but don't hold any of the money - every period they just pass the totals on to the payer.

If you are a large enough company it can make a lot of sense to do this, as you get to keep tighter control of the cash.
      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

But I hit redial! It can't be wrong 3 times in a row!
        Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

And since I can't be wrong forever, the chances I'll be wrong again just keep going down with every try! I'll get it eventually!
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

For some reason I am imagining you getting through to them finally and their solution being the Stewie approach on Family Guy when he needs to call home but doesn't know the number.

Stewie: Well, gonna have to do this the hard way. 000-0000......nope. 000-0001......nope. 000-0002.....nope...
            You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

I'm slightly disappointed (but also rather relieved) that they don't appear to have called back today.
              Either they're actually capable of learning from experience or, more likely I think, they just called a different department in the company this time.

Comment

Working...
              X