This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergic? Maybe not.

So, a few months ago, my rabbit had surprise babies. I was incredibly lucky in that all three babies survived.

I bonded the father and son, and sent them out together. A friend of my mother's adopted the two girl babies, and was wonderful about it. She even covered their vet bill--the mother was sick when she was pregnant with them, and we wanted to make sure they weren't sick too. She got them for her grandchildren, with permission from their parents, of course.

I had two provisions for the babies. They had to finish out their medication, (a de-wormer) and if, for any reason, they didn't want the babies, they were to bring them back to me.

Well, after having the babies for about a month, the mother of the babies is having me keep them for a week because she might be allergic.

Reportedly she didn't tell the kids she was taking the bunnies away. She didn't tell the grandmother until the day of, and I only had an hours notice to get the babies.

The babies were pissed. They've been revenge-peeing (animals are lovely) on me and outside the cage. (Reportedly they're very litterbox trained, but they've refused to show it.)

Even though they're both girls, and they've never been separated, one of them spent the first day here humping the other to assert dominance. They've settled down again, and are spazzing out in their cage.

I don't know if they're going to take them back, but I already have another person interested in them. I had a model over yesterday, and her daughter fell in love with one of the babies, and spent most of the shoot talking about how she wanted a rabbit, a cat, and a rat.

Sounds like said daughter has yet to figure out that a situation like that will result in her having only a single pet -- one very happy kitty -- as soon as the others manager to get out of their cages...
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post
      Reportedly she didn't tell the kids she was taking the bunnies away. She didn't tell the grandmother until the day of, and I only had an hours notice to get the babies.

The babies were pissed. They've been revenge-peeing (animals are lovely) on me and outside the cage. (Reportedly they're very litterbox trained, but they've refused to show it.)

Even though they're both girls, and they've never been separated, one of them spent the first day here humping the other to assert dominance. They've settled down again, and are spazzing out in their cage.
      Huh. It doesn't sound like the babies were trained at all while they were at the other house.
      Also, I would NOT want to be around when the kids found out their pets were gone, had someone taken Haroldtin (Mutant Guinea pig *started out normal size, grew almost twice as large as any other of our 10 others we've had*) away without telling me I'd have gone ballistic and assumed someone had accidentally killed him.
      Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
      Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
      -Unknown Author

Comment

They left me litter-box trained, and reportedly they were litter-box trained at the house. So I suspect it was one of those cases where they were just mad. (cats tend to do this sort of thing too.)

As for the cat, rat, and rabbit thing, it all depends on the cat. I know two cats that never could have adjusted to that. They're major hunters, and would never be able to dissociate the pet prey from non-pet prey.

On the other hand, my cat was a decent hunter, but she exclusively hunted mice. When she met the rabbit, the rabbit charged her, and she decided rabbits weren't for eating. As she got older, she stopped chasing other animals, so when she discovered one of the baby bunnies (escaped its nest, and its cage), she didn't even try to eat it. She just pawed at it and meowed at me.

The same cat also used to help us locate the hamster when it would escape (which was all the time). She once spent an entire weekend with it loose, stuck in the bathtub, and ignored it until we got home, then meowed at us until we followed her into the bathroom. I don't know if it was out of fear--her previous owners hit her when she even looked at their hamster--or if it was out of respect for us.

The baby bunnies also reportedly made friends with the family's dog, which I didn't think was possible.

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post
          The baby bunnies also reportedly made friends with the family's dog, which I didn't think was possible.
          Obviously a descendant of Rowsby Woof!
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My daughter used to have a rabbit. One of our cats would chase it, grab it, wrestle it down, and give it a bath.
            Women can do anything men can.
            But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
            Maxine

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post
              So I suspect it was one of those cases where they were just mad. (cats tend to do this sort of thing too.)

As for the cat, rat, and rabbit thing, it all depends on the cat.
              My wife had our cat Mocha in the car and she was inconsolable so my wife decided to let her out of the carrier. She climbed onto the back window shelf, kept meowing until my wife made eye contact with her in the mirror and then very deliberately peed all over the shelf.

When our other cat, Shadow, was young I was playing a game on the computer and it had gone past his normal dinner time. I heard a single, loud MEOW right behind me. I turned and saw him sitting on the table right behind me. As soon as I made eye contact with him, without looking away from me, he swept a stack of paperback books off the table and onto the floor.

When we got a pair of female dwarf hamsters Shadow was afraid of them (he would run away if I let them out and he was anywhere near) and Mocha was indifferent (to the point where one hamster was actually crawling on her).

When the hamsters had babies (I was very excited at first thinking I had not one but five baby Jesus hamsters but it turned out the new girl at the pet store wasn't as good at sexing dwarf hamsters as she thought) one morning I heard Mocha making an awful moaning sound. I actually jumped out of bed and ran downstairs because she is not a very vocal cat (unless she is in a car) and I was worried that she was hurt. I find her hovering over a baby hamster that had escaped from the cage.
              You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

I've had the rabbit/dog combo and the dog was a major rabbit hunter. She was also very, very smart and could honestly tell the fellow pet rabbit from the wild. He'd escape his cage and she'd do her best to herd him back to us, including giving another dog hell for getting too close.

My two cats don't care the least about the rats. The rats stay in their cage unless we take 'em out in a ball or in the smaller cage to take to the bathroom to run free. It was fun watching the Buck (from Halo ODST, we still have Mickey.. maybe.. won't until later today..) run Dodo-cat over with the ball. Buck also escaped one time, made it from the kitchen where his cage is, to my bed in my bedroom.. scaring the crap out both the hubby and Buck when the rat decided to curl up with a human to sleep.

But we'd never leave the rats where the cats can get them, not even supervised. I don't trust the cats not to think of the rats as toys. Not worried about them thinking of them as food, but being a toy can get a rat just as hurt.

Also, once had a cat and a parrot.. Cat kept walking on top of the cage where the perch was, until Dad got fed up and shoved the cat into the cage with the bird. The bird gave him a few good nips before the cat escaped and the cat refused to go NEAR a bird's cage or a bird after that.
                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                  Also, once had a cat and a parrot.. Cat kept walking on top of the cage where the perch was, until Dad got fed up and shoved the cat into the cage with the bird. The bird gave him a few good nips before the cat escaped and the cat refused to go NEAR a bird's cage or a bird after that.
                  My great-grandmother (before I knew her) had a parrot that would bite people... and then laugh... in her voice.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Oh jeez. They're not taking the bunnies back. Apparently the mother's doctor told her her pneumonia came FROM THE RABBITS.

I DON'T EVEN

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post
                      Oh jeez. They're not taking the bunnies back. Apparently the mother's doctor told her her pneumonia came FROM THE RABBITS.
                      Well, the rabbits are probably better off without shitty owners like that. Hopefully you can find them a good home now.
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post

I DON'T EVEN
                        Where's the BS flag when you need it? I've got a good place to stick that . . . .

I think MadMike's right: the bunnies are much better off without someone like her. Why she couldn't just own up to the fact that bunnies are too much to take care of (and they can be time consuming - I've had a few) and just be done with it?

No harm, no foul - instead of concocting some obvious crap like that.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Yes, I had a few people email me asking for the boys about a week after I gave them up, so I just emailed all of them and was like: "... still want a bunny?"

The one I didn't email back was the one who wanted to start a 4H rabbitry. Not because I'm like 'ye gods, children' but because these really aren't the kind of bunnies to breed. They have no pedigree, because both them and their mother were accidents, (and I suspect the father was actually a rex rather than a mini rex), and because they have various disqualifying traits for show that they could pass onto their babies.

(Like their ears and fur being too long, and neither one has a qualifying coat. The brown one has four different colors, and the gray one's official color name is 'fawn' and that's a disqualifying color in a spotted rabbit.)

Plus, I don't know if they'd make good bunny parents. They both have attitude to spare. XD The little one kicked the vet in the face.
                          Last edited by Cooper; 07-30-2013, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Bunnies sound like a pain to own...

Comment

Shopgirl, they're fragile creatures, but I like to think they're the best of the cat and dog worlds. They are always happy to see you. Any time I go by their cage, their noses are in the bars, asking for love. However, they have the varying personalities and 'spunk' cats are known for, plus they need about as much maintenance as a cat. (feed them, water them, clean the cage (litterbox), love them, let them run).

The baby's mother will just sit in my lap, occasionally licking my arm, and will fall asleep there. (as will two of the babies. I've heard the third baby does it, but I don't think she likes me very much.)

They are incredibly mischievous, and fragile, however. I'm on my fifth set of headphones due to the babies. A friend who had a rabbit reported it always chewed on the right angle of the furniture so it wasn't discovered, until the friend moved and realized what had happened.

As for fragile, I've been cautioned on this a lot, but to be honest, I've seen my rabbits survive more than the should have. I might just be lucky. (One rabbit fell 10 feet, onto a raspberry bush, and survived, one rabbit chased down a feral cat and lived to tell the tale, one rabbit disappeared for 2 days and came back safe and sound, one got overheated and lived to tell the tale, one had to have her eye removed due to a parasite she was born with, and one managed to get himself stuck in his cage, spraining his leg.)

They're really sweet creatures though, especially if you have more than one. My first boy rabbit was depressed, so I put the baby boy rabbit in his cage. I kept an eye on them, but considering they were both pretty gentle buns, I decided they could have one long bonding session and live with that. After a while, the baby groomed the father. They spent the rest of the week with me, before rehoming, sleeping next to each other, sharing food (sometimes not willingly lol) and grooming each-other.

Comment

Working...
                              X