This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A two-time loser!

So yesterday I got a call from the service desk. A couple was returning two boxes of barstools because they were the wrong size. They were 24-inch barstools. I went outside, got the barstools out of their SUV, and returned them to the backroom while they picked out some different barstools.

A little later, they purchased some 26-inch barstools. So I got them out of the backroom, put them in their SUV, and away they went.

A few hours later, I was unloading the truck and one of the girls from the salesfloor came into the backroom with a cart full of barstools.

Yes, dear friends, these were the same barstools I took out earlier. It turned these barstools were still too small, and the couple ended up purchasing some 29-inch ones.

I can't be the only person in the world who knows what a tape measure is and what it's used for, can I? I mean, wouldn't it be easier to measure the bar to find out what size stools you need, than to make 3 separate trips to the store to purchase and exchange barstools?
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

tah-pee meeayszhuhree?

By golly you must got some brains! That's one big word you got there!
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Tape measures don't work to measure vertical spaces! Everyone knows that!

Tape measures can ONLY measure 2x4's, horizontally. It doesn't work if it's not 2x4's.
      I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
      less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Maybe next time they should measure their fat asses first, instead of going through all the trouble.

It's like going to the store and buying pants without trying them on. Then going back and buying the next size up without trying it on. Then going back and doing it again......rinse wash repeat.....
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

During my time in the window treatment department, I had several customers who had never even heard of a tape measure. I would explain to them how to measure a window and they would stand there and look stupid.

There was one lady who actually seemed to be afraid of tape measures. I was explaining things to her and to illustrate a point I got a tape measure out of my drawer, and she looked nervous and stepped back as if I'd pulled out a knife or something.
          "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
          "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
          --Dilbert

Comment

Quoth freaktard View Post
            During my time in the window treatment department, I had several customers who had never even heard of a tape measure. I would explain to them how to measure a window and they would stand there and look stupid.
            I took drafting my junior year in high school, from a teacher who'd been at that school since the dawn of time, who also taught aviation and woodworking and had something of a paternal, chauvinistic attitude toward girls taking his classes (I was the only girl in his class that year).

On the first day of class, he gave me a tape measure and asked me to measure the window. As I went to follow his instructions, he said, "Now, do you need one of these boys to help you?"

As politely as I could manage, I replied that my father was a carpenter and that I did know what a tape measure was (In fact, I would have taken woodworking, if it hadn't meant that I would have had to drop band, being in the same time slot).

As the year went on, I made the best grades in the class, and although he never really changed his attitude toward girls, the boys would come to ME for help.
            He loves the world...except for all the people.
            --Men at Work

Comment

O M G!

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              I can't be the only person in the world who knows what a tape measure is and what it's used for, can I? I mean, wouldn't it be easier to measure the bar to find out what size stools you need, than to make 3 separate trips to the store to purchase and exchange barstools?

Oh, c'mon IPF, you know that just makes too much sense, so therefore it's not allowed!

Joking aside, that story hurts my brain! People are unbelievably stooopid!
              It's like I'm wearing Eau de Moron and all of the idiots and assholes are attracted to me... -JuniorMintz

Comment

Noelegy- I get the same thing at the hardware store!!! Hate it. "Gee, little girl, are you sure you know what you're doing?" "I've been working under my father building houses from the ground up from the time I was 12. If I can wire a house, I think I can help you change your switchplates. Now, first thing is- you're holding the screwdriver the wrong way. See, THIS end is the handle. Got it? Are you sure?"
                Anyway, sorry for the threadjack....
                Haikus are easy
                But sometimes they don't make sense
                Refrigerator

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                  It's like going to the store and buying pants without trying them on. Then going back and buying the next size up without trying it on. Then going back and doing it again......rinse wash repeat.....
                  Sadly, that happened a lot at the clothing store I worked at. This one lady was notorious for doing that. I even remembered what size she'd eventually end up getting, and would remind her when she'd come back in... but no, she'd always get the 7/8, bring those back, get the 9/10, and keep doing that til she ended up with the 13/14.

Comment

I have always known how to read a tape measure because of my father and grandfather.
                    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

If they are too dumb to work a tape measure, I would hope they were at least smart enough to stand next to the bar to estimate how tall it was and then find bar stools just a bit shorter than that. Seriously, estimating a size shouldn't be as hard as they were making it.

Comment

But tape measures are such a pain...the tape gets all stuck to everything and then you just end up with a big ball of tape all stuck to itself...

I've always known how to read a tape maeasure, cuz, well, I learned how to read a ruler in first grade and, well, it kinda stuck with me...

I've been known to buy clothes without trying them on, but only from stores where I'm familiar with the sizing. If they turn out not to fit, I will try on the next size before I exchange it. I'm not that much of a glutton for punishment, and I hate shopping as a general rule...
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I've always known how to read a tape maeasure, cuz, well, I learned how to read a ruler in first grade and, well, it kinda stuck with me.
                          Exactly. It never occured to me that some people didn't know how to read them.

Comment

That's what I was wondering about, how can you possibly not know how to use one??

Tape measure up against object

start at 1

keep going until you run out of said object...

It's not rocket science people!!!!
                            I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

I got a TON of condescension at Home Depot the other night. I went in on Saturday evening with Sputnik with the intent of getting the last of the supplies for his Dark Helmet costume. We needed flat black paint, semi gloss black paint, and flexible Edge Guard for the rim of the helmet.

I wasn't having much success finding the Edge Guard, so I asked a guy in Hardware. I even had a small sample of what I was looking for. He looked at it, listened to what I wanted to do with it, then told me to go to a craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby and get a picture frame. I looked at him for a moment before walking away to find Sputnik and to seek other help. The other help directed me back to the guy in Hardware. So I found yet another person (I would have just left had the sample not come from THAT SAME Home Depot) who knew what I needed and where it was. I was just...the first guy spoke to me like I was two and then flat out told me to go somewhere else.

When I had what I needed, I went back to that first guy and showed him what it was, told him where it was, and who helped me find it. So, Colorado residents, don't get help from the man who looks like Alan Thicke in Hardware at the Home Depot on Bowles.

Comment

Working...
                              X