Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Play the Race Card for free babysitting! (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play the Race Card for free babysitting! (long)

I had an interesting situation last night that I think I handled rather well.

I work in a rather small game store in a strip center located in a rather large southern city. It's about 8:45 at night, fifteen minutes to closing when this kid, maybe 5-6 years old comes in, just sort of wandering around. I asked if he had a parent with him and he tole me, "Yeah."

Hmm, I thought, where could they be?

When I asked the kid where they were, he told me they were down at the pizza place at the opposite end of the strip center, waiting on a pizza and sent him down here to QUOTE: "Keep out of their hair!"

Well now. Nice parenting on this one. I told the kid that after sundown he needed to have a parent with them to be in the store. He nodded at me and left.

Cue LARGE, ANGRY woman storming into my store with child in tow, SCREAMING at me about throwing her son out of the store and I couldn't do that, saying that I was a racist for throwing her boy out into the dark of night.

Excuse me? I'm not the one who had him wandering around the font of a strip-mall after dark in the first place!

I could feel the anger welling up inside of me. If there's one thing I CANNOT stand, it is being called a racist. That is one type of person I hate with a passion. Something must have showed in my face as I stood up and leaned over the counter. Maybe a very displeased employee standing 6'2" and weighing almost 300 lbs might be a little intimidating, I dunno.

Anyway, I sort of loomed over her like the Ghost of Christmas yet to Come from Dickens' tale and slowly pointed through the front glass to the LED sign at a nearby Walgreen's.

"Ma'am?" I asked, "Do you see that sign?"

Starting to get her courage back a bit, she snapped at me, "Yes? What's that got to do with anything?"

"I may have no right to tell you how to raise your child or what you should or should not do. But earlier today, that sign held an amber alert. A child was kidnapped right in front of that store in broad daylight not 5 hours ago. This is the reason that our store does not allow children into our store without a parent after dark as neither I nor my company will be held responsible if something were to happen."

It just took a moment for the woman to digest everything I'd said, realize what an ass she had been and mumble out a muffled apology before hustling her child out of the store.

As a soon-to-be father myself, I just don't understand how parents can do things like this. I just hope that my words actually sunk in and she won't be letting her kid wander alone, otherwise they me be "keeping out of her hair" for far longer than she realizes.

Perhaps in that case, you probably should have scolded a person with a white baby to prove your point.

It's pretty pathetic, in just about any situation, the race card can be pulled. It's getting REALLLLLY old people, really old. Just knock it off.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I was accused of being a racist once. I just smiled and said that after years of customer service jobs I now hated everyone equally.

Ruffledbirdy

Comment

I find the one response that REALLY shuts them up is:

"You're racist!"

"I sure am! I hate the hell out of white people! And you know who else bothers me? WOMEN! Those worthless good for nothing b*tches!"

Of course, since that is coming from a white female, you can sometimes hear their brain gears siezing up.
        "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Mysty, have I mentioned lately that I you?

I wonder sometimes if we're related and just don't know it. I could always use another sister. I only have 4 sisters, 1 sis-in-law and 1 future sis-in-law.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Mysty, that is just priceless.

Mordenheim, would that we all had such unfortunately convenient props as that sign to remind parents that there's more to parenting than just successfully procreating.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
              Mysty, have I mentioned lately that I you?

I wonder sometimes if we're related and just don't know it. I could always use another sister. I only have 4 sisters, 1 sis-in-law and 1 future sis-in-law.

huh, my only "sister" is a cat...

Personally, I think a kid that young should not be in a store by himself at any time of day, dark outside or not. I'd be tempted to call the police in that situation. Seriously, do they leave the kid home alone to look after himself, too?
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                I hate the hell out of white people!
                "I'm a self-hating b*tch! It makes life so much easier."
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I got called racists, because we didn't have something in that they wanted. I told them, why am I racist, becuase I am a white guy....so according to you, all white people are racists? They shut up after that.
                  Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                  San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Personally, I never would have sent that kid back outside alone.... imagine if someone had snatched him? I'd hold you responsible (but NOT as a parent.... that woman should be shot for sending her kid out by himself!). At least the inside of a store is a safe place to wait for the policeman you should have called for neglectful parenting.

I still can't believe that woman's behavior. My son is EIGHT YEARS OLD and I don't even let him go to the park by himself. (granted, I remember that I was allowed to go to the park, over a block away, by myself at age 4.... and our park is RIGHT behind our apartment block, but it's a weird neighborhood!)
                    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

I'd write it up as..

Darwinism at work in our society today.
                      "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

That was a rather disgusting comment, Mr. Rude. You've certainly earned your name for that one.

A child is not responsible for the action of the parents, and for you to imply that it would be a positive thing for the species if something happened to a child because its parents were idiots, well that's just wrong.

I hope you will reconsider before posting something like that again.

In the past, members have received infractions and warnings for comments like that .
                        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
                        X