This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does anyone think this is acceptable? Warning: Long

I have so many stories to share about this place and will get around to it eventually. However, right now, there's one story that is fresh in my mind (since it occurred last night), and I'm still fairly irritated about it.

I work in a plasma donation center. Well, more like plasma selling. You can come in, give up some of your plasma, and get paid a certain amount (not a large amount, yet some of the donors who come in are unemployed and this is one of their sources of income). Given the area that I work in, we get quite busy.

Since I am a young, mildly-attractive woman, I get hit on quite often here. This one takes the cake though.

A donor was hooked up to one of the machines (the machines draw your blood, separate your red blood cells from your plasma in a centrifuge, place the plasma in a bottle, and return your red cells back to you).

Cast of characters:
    SD=Sucky donor
    M=Me
    AD=Awesome donor

SD: "Can I have a napkin or something to wipe my nose?"
    M: "Sure." *rips off a piece of paper towel to give to him*
    SD: "What's your name?"
    M: "*insert name here*" (We're actually supposed to wear name tags so they know our names, but they messed mine up and I haven't gotten a new one yet.)
    SD: "I'm SD. *sticks out hand to shake*"
    M: *shakes hand and walks away, knowing what's coming, and also needing to work*

Of course, he calls me back over.

SD: "Do you have a boyfriend?"
    M: "Yes." (Note: I don't. I always tell them that I do though)

I walk away again since the donor next to him was finished with her procedure, so I was about to disconnect her.

SD: "Hey! Come here! Why do you keep walking away from me? What, you can't talk to me?"
    M: "She's down. I'm about to disconnect her."

I go over to AD to disconnect her. As I'm verifying her name, SD YANKS my ponytail!

I was pissed. I turned to him and told him not to do that. That's where AD steps in.

AD: "Who the hell do you think you are doing that? You don't just pull a girl's hair like that!"
    SD "I just wanted to see if it was real!"
    (Note: Where I work, I'm the minority [I'm white], and the majority here are known for not having their real hair.)
    AD: "*turns to me* Not trying to be funny, but...*turns back to him* YOU KNOW IT'S REAL!"

I went to my leader and told her what happened, and she moved me to another section to work in. One of my male coworkers went over to him and made him apologize. He was laughing about it, but no one else was laughing, which my leader pointed out to him.

Unfortunately, I don't think he was told not to come back.

Why on earth did he think that it was acceptable to do that? Seriously? I don't understand what goes through people's minds sometimes.
    Last edited by PhiSigGirl1988; 09-19-2013, 05:25 PM.

Quoth PhiSigGirl1988 View Post
    ... I don't understand what goes through people's minds sometimes.
    A movement. Which is why we call them SFB's.

(The FB stands for "For Brains")
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

wouldn't that be classified as an "assault"? or at least harassment. no, i'd have that reported somewhere, HR or the cops. i do not put up with unwanted touching, zero tolerance, no.
      there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

In all honesty, I think what causes this is just complete ignorance of other people's feelings.

That is, they don't consider anyone else but themselves when choosing what actions to take. If they want to walk from point A to point B, and someone is standing between those two points, they'll just trod right over them because they weren't even part of the equation.
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth AyreBiskits View Post
          wouldn't that be classified as an "assault"? or at least harassment. no, i'd have that reported somewhere, HR or the cops. i do not put up with unwanted touching, zero tolerance, no.
          I agree 100%.
          "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth PhiSigGirl1988 View Post
            AD: "Who the hell do you think you are doing that? You don't just pull a girl's hair like that!"
            SD "I just wanted to see if it was real!"
            Here's the rebuttle to this:

"So how did you see this working out, exactly? Either its real, and you hurt her by pulling her hair, or its fake and you damage a hairdo that cost her money to have done. Which of these results in you not being an asshole, exactly?"

The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

*punches the guy in the nuts*

Oh - sorry - I wanted to see if they were real.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                In all honesty, I think what causes this is just complete ignorance of other people's feelings.

That is, they don't consider anyone else but themselves when choosing what actions to take. If they want to walk from point A to point B, and someone is standing between those two points, they'll just trod right over them because they weren't even part of the equation.
                Agreed. I don't think this is so much a case of calculated assault/harassment as stupid, unthinking, "HEY! PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!" Because you kept walking away (to do your job, of course, but that went completely over his head) he reacted like a spoiled little kid and did something he was certain would get your attention. Why he thought this would get your attention in a good way is beyond me, but ...

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  "So how did you see this working out, exactly? Either its real, and you hurt her by pulling her hair, or its fake and you damage a hairdo that cost her money to have done. Which of these results in you not being an asshole, exactly?"
                  I like this! And will have to remember it next time some pulls my hair.
                  Quoth Argabarga View Post

You've pretty much described the basic mindset of most people today. "It's all about me! Me! ME! Oh, there are other people in the world? I don't care, I want center stage spotlight! I am the most important person in my mind, and that's all I care about!"

Disgusting, isn't it? Sorry you had to deal with someone with that pathetic mindset, PhiSigGirl1988.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Just remember that us peons are just little robot playthings for those who are not little robot playthings.

Another plasma donor(35 years ago) with the stick scar to prove it (I could only get stuck in one vein on my right arm --- 110 sticks over 2 years). Yeah food beer whatever money poor college kid.
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Geek King and An Haddock win the internet!!
                      "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

That guy was an ass.

And seriously? You really want to screw with the people who jab those huge-ass needles into your arms? That seems like he's just asking for trouble.
                        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

You should hear what some of female desk clerks have to go through with some of their male customers: sexual comments, stalking, creepiness. The extreme cases don't happen often, but there are a quite a few guys who say inappropriate things. I wonder how they would react if it were there daughters working behind the desk.

Comment

Maybe the guy wasn't banned; I kind of hope he was, but that sort of lays bare the question:

How big an ass do you have to be, how much FAIL do you have to have in life, to get kicked out of a plasma center??

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
                              Maybe the guy wasn't banned; I kind of hope he was, but that sort of lays bare the question:

How big an ass do you have to be, how much FAIL do you have to have in life, to get kicked out of a plasma center??
                              Intentional, unsolicited physical contact is a crime, and I think that would be a fair boundary to set.
                              sooo many people are apparently aliterate morons. -- ThanosIsKing

Comment

Working...
                              X