This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone Stole my Gas

A woman comes in and spends forever trying to get me to explain the difference between two fruit smoothies. What can I tell ya, lady? I work at a gas station. One of them tastes like pineapple and the other like strawberries, get the freak out of here.

ahem

She comes back about half an hour later and insists that someone must have taken the pump out of her car, put it in their car, and pumped HER gas and she didn't get ANY because her gas tank is still empty. Now. Uh. Lemme tell ya. Usually they don't come to this conclusion but this happens at least once a week and it's starting to piss me off.

She tells me the amount that was stolen and she wants me to look at the tapes. I find the receipt that matches the amount, ask her a few questions while I'm looking. No she did not hang the pump back up when she came out of the station, it was already hung up. She started it and then walked into the store, yes.

I find the receipt and the first thing I do is say, "This is a _____ type of card. Do you have one of those?"

SC: Uh...mmm..let me see? *roots through wallet*

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the woman could not tell me whether or not she had a Visa, Amex, Mastercard, or Discover.

Me: Are those the last four of your card number?
    SC: ...no?
    Me: This is the last transaction I have for that pump, it is before you said you pumped gas and there are no other transactions. This is the amount you said and before the time you stated. It is the last one. Are you sure it was pump 1?
    SC: Yes. It was pump one!
    Me: Then I'm sorry, Ma'am, but you never pumped any gas.

I'm just straight with it now. There's no point in sugar-coating it. You're dumb, just admit it.

SC: I didn't pump any gas? But...but...um...I don't under...I don't...I... Okay.

And that was that. She didn't pump any gas...just like the rest of the morons who come in and insist that it didn't print a receipt or it stole their money or whatever else they think happens at gas stations.

so wait not only did she not pump gas but that means she didn't pay... ouch that hurts, be careful when sharing that kind of stupid, it's dangerous.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

OK, she somehow didn't pump the gas and it never occurred to her this might be the problem. That's dumb. But isn't it equally stupid to start pumping gas and then walk away into the store? Whatta mess that would make if something came undone or it didn't shut off.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Did she at least buy a smoothie?
        "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
        .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
          SC: Uh...mmm..let me see? *roots through wallet*

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the woman could not tell me whether or not she had a Visa, Amex, Mastercard, or Discover.
          This reminds me of my call centre days, where people would want to access member services, then when I ask for their membership number, the most common response is, 'I KNEW you'd ask me that' - cue 10 minutes of waiting while they raided their house to find their membership card.
          the end of an era is not the completion of a destiny. Momentum comes when we believe the best for the future, we keep speaking life into the future, and we commit to the future - Brian Houston

Comment

Quoth brucetiki View Post
            This reminds me of my call centre days, where people would want to access member services, then when I ask for their membership number, the most common response is, 'I KNEW you'd ask me that' - cue 10 minutes of waiting while they raided their house to find their membership card.
            "If you knew I'd ask you that, why don't you have it ready?!" Gah! Willful laziness and stupidity are so frustrating.
            Quoth Gaki View Post
            She didn't pump any gas...just like the rest of the morons who come in and insist that it didn't print a receipt or it stole their money or whatever else they think happens at gas stations.
            It sounds like the SC may have been trying to pull a fast one, thinking that since you work at a gas station, you must not be too bright. She's wrong, of course, she's the one who isn't too bright, or she'd have know that, hey, computers, you can track what's going on. I'm glad you were able to set her straight...at least until she tries that stunt again.
            Last edited by XCashier; 10-10-2013, 05:11 PM. Reason: grammer goof
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Won't someone think of the SMOOTHIES!?

Comment

*sigh*

I really hate it when people know there is a car waiting, they fill up after having paid on the pump, then wander in for a long shopping session ... [there are not many stations in Connecticut that don't make you pay first]

I prefer traveling with someone to do the pumping for me, but I have no problem getting out, crutching around the car or momvan and pumping my own gas, then I pull into a parking space and THEN get whatever I wanted to buy ...
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  It sounds like the SC may have been trying to pull a fast one, thinking
                  5K posts and 7 years in and X is still kind and optimistic enough to ascribe to malice instead of plain ol' stupid! Let me take a shot too: SC was high. All caught up in that smoothie business, she just, like, spaced on pumping the gas, man. (It's a long shot, but I'd still rather a crook or a stoner was out driving around than someone that plain dumb )

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                  but I have no problem getting out,
                  But you DO have a problem getting out. You just do it anyway 'cause despite the difficulties, it's the right thing to do. It's what separates us from the SCs: empathy even when it's not "easy."

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                    5K posts and 7 years in and X is still kind and optimistic enough to ascribe to malice instead of plain ol' stupid!
                    Strange as it sounds, I've dealt with more malice than stupidity. At least that's what it seems like. The merely stupid usually have the decency to look and feel embarrassed when caught in their idiocy; the malicious attack you verbally (and sometimes physically).
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                      But you DO have a problem getting out. You just do it anyway 'cause despite the difficulties, it's the right thing to do. It's what separates us from the SCs: empathy even when it's not "easy."
                      ROFL, ok true - I would prefer not to get out, but I do what needs to be done
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I've never had anyone claim someone stole their gas. I have, however, had multiple people think the pump ran but didn't pump gas or something. They stick the nozzle in the pump, walk away and get distracted. Then they walk back, think the dollar amount on the pump, from the customer before them, is their total, and then wonder why their tank isn't full. Then, they come in and bitch to me. Yeah. Working at a gas station is FUN.
                        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Working...
                        X