This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work and family just don't mix...

Ah... The "joys" of owning your own business. Or, in this case, the horrors of being an in-home daycare provider.

In-Home Daycare Provider stuff:

As an unlicensed IHDP I am able to care for 2 (that's TWO) children not related to me in my home. Since I am a stay-at-home mother this means a few things. 1) I may have my own children in my home while I watch up to two other children. 2) I can (and do) set my own hours and days. 3) I can (and will) charge whatever I feel is a fair price. And (most importantly) 4) I am not required to offer my services to everyone. In fact, I can decide what type of people I am willing to provide daycare for.

Number 4 is important. Very, very important.

And on to the story...

I have a niece who is... shall we say "challenged" mentally. She has a few issues that caused problems at every regular daycare she went to. She is normally a very sweet little girl... but has severe issues with change and being around other people.

My mother is her primary caregiver (read that as "My brother was an ass and got thrown in the clink, so now my mom has custody of this little girl.") and does her best, but has to have a place for my niece to go to daycare... The whole "having a job" thing.

I, being the wonderful (and trusting) daughter and Aunt that I am, was asked to babysit my niece "for a few weeks... Just until we can find a "special" daycare that can handle her." I agreed to watch her for the unbelievably low cost of... get this... $50 a week!

Any of you with children know that this is a steal and any of you that have experience with children that need special attention know that this price is something to go over.

Two months later.... My niece had broken 4 sets of blinds, punched my (then) 3 y/o daughter in the stomach, bitten me 16 times, tore apart a brand freaking new XBox 360, destroyed more than 30 stuffed animals/dolls/toys/kids books, ripped the playpen apart, pulled the fur out on my 13 y/o cat, bit my dog on the ear, punched 2 holes in my apartment's walls... But it was the kicking my (then) newborn daughter in the head that made me lose it completely. I had been asking my mother for weeks to find another place for my niece, but I lost it. My words were this:

"I love you, Mom, but you have only one choice right now. You can pay for ALL of the damages that "A" had caused and you can find another daycare. I will not be taking her back after the end of this week."

Her reply, in true SC fashion:

"But you have to accept her. She's family and she's disabled! If you don't let her continue to go to your daycare, I'll have (insert lawyer's name here) file a suit against you for discrimination!"

I had a good laugh right then and managed to choke out, between giggling fits:

"Go right ahead, Mom.... I'm an unlicensed daycare. I don't have to comply with anti-discrimination laws. In fact, I can do pretty much anything I please. So I'll just remind you about the policy that my daycare has that deals with destruction of property. You should know it since it was on the contract that we both signed in front of a Notary of the Public. That's the only legally binding agreement that we have and it says ..."any damages caused by (the client's child) are to be paid by (the client).".... and you agreed to that! If you sue... I could legally file a counter-suit to get the money you still owe me for all the things that "A" broke in my home!"

Two days later my niece was in a proper daycare that takes very good care of her and charges my mom nearly $400 a week. Somehow I had had the impression that she just couldn't find any place... then I find out that it was just "more expensive"?????? What did she expect????

So much for expecting to have a family that didn't take advantage of my kindness... What was I thinking?
    hea·then [hee-thuhn] noun
    1. an unconverted individual that does not acknowledge the God of the Bible.
    2. an irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized person.
    3. the children of NotSoInnocent.

wait....you didn't stop when she started hurting YOUR cat? that didn't stop you then? it should have. thats...so very cruel. disabeled or not (I have not dealt with that badly of a disabled child so I am sorry for any ignorance on my part but thats...still cruel)

Comment

Quoth LexiaFira View Post
      wait....you didn't stop when she started hurting YOUR cat? that didn't stop you then? it should have. thats...so very cruel. disabeled or not (I have not dealt with that badly of a disabled child so I am sorry for any ignorance on my part but thats...still cruel)
      She was 3 at the time... with the emotional (and mostly physical) control of a toddler. The pulling out of the fur was because she was petting the cat too hard. He's an old cat, so his fur's not great anyways. Just to allay any worries about him... he's just fine, still around, and kicks my 1 y/o kitten's butt to keep her in line. He's an awesome kitty.

Comment

So, my Mom used to run an in home day care, and, she once had to send out a registered letter to a family that dropped their children (two girls, if I remember correctly)... maybe... three times in one week. And they did something that absolutely pissed my Mom off. Search me what it was, but Mom booted them from the daycare, sent the letter, made sure it was return receipted, and two days later, got a (poorly) written letter in return, telling her how the woman's daughters were basically, absolute angels, and my Mom was a lying, dirty, slut of a whore (because I don't remember exact wording) because she wouldn't watch the woman's kids.
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Don't you love family members who take advantage of you because they know you won't refuse because they're family?

Methinks mommie just wanted cheap daycare. Funny how a few weeks turned into a few months. She must not have been trying too hard to find this special daycare.

And I too would've put my foot down when the child started abusing the animals, if not sooner. You shouldn't have to put up with her just because she's family when you simply aren't equipped to do so.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

i never underestimate the ability of others to take advantage of a situation; i especially have a jaundiced eye towards family, since they try to throw in the 'but we're family' argument to make things go their way.

it's funny how she felt that you held some 'obligation' just because she's your niece; in this case, she's not, and your mother is simply a client, but, as expected, mom pulled the 'relative' card.

maybe pulling the 'you can take the relative part and shove it' card and see what she says to that...
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

There's a big difference between helping someone out because they're family (what you tried to do) and taking advantage of someone because they're family (which your mom did). Kudos to you for getting her to take some responsibility, finally. I feel for you too, because my mom is the queen of guilt trips when she wants me to do something for/with her, so I know how hard it can be to say no.
              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                And I too would've put my foot down when the child started abusing the animals, if not sooner.
                The rough petting of the cat that led to loss of fur has also been done by my own children... not maliciously... just because, as infants/toddlers, they don't know better. The biting of the dog's ear... that one happened the same day she kicked my youngest in the head. Sort of contributed to the "Uh-uh. I'm done. Get the out of my daycare." bit.

Comment

"But you have to accept her. She's family and she's disabled! If you don't let her continue to go to your daycare, I'll have (insert lawyer's name here) file a suit against you for discrimination!"
                  Umm, you're welcome, Mom.
                  "several million years for a monkey to turn into a man. oh wait thats right. monkeys dont live several million years."
                  -FSTDT

Comment

I'm just glad your cat and daughter are ok. Hopefully your niece will get the help she needs.

Comment

Wow. Threatening to sue family is unheard of in my family, you could lie cheat and steal and there are never threats to sue. We deal with things by telling other family members that the person we are arguing with respects and they deal with it.

Comment

My aunt tried the family card when she wanted me to abuse my employee discount to score her some computer parts and then wanted me to upgrade her computer for free. She didn't want to hear that my discount only applied to myself, my spouse and my dependents or that I signed an agreement that I would only do free service for immediate relatives' computers (parents and siblings, maybe grandparents, too).

She wasn't too happy about that.
                        A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Quoth gregmaddux17 View Post
                          Hopefully your niece will get the help she needs.
                          Her new daycare is absolutely the best. They are equipped and staffed in such a way that my niece receives every bit of care that she needs... and then some. They've dealt with her type of problems before, and even have a continuation program for some of the more severe cases that enable the children to continue going to the daycare long after most daycares would cut a parent off.

Quoth TheKit10666 View Post
                          Wow. Threatening to sue family is unheard of in my family, you could lie cheat and steal and there are never threats to sue. We deal with things by telling other family members that the person we are arguing with respects and they deal with it.
                          *chuckles* You kidding me? My family is one of the ones that would make Jerry Springer proud. Less than 6 months ago one of my sisters decided that she didn't want to be part of the family anymore.... so she went to her old foster family and had them adopt her as an adult. *shakes head* Of course, this is also the sister that has serious drug/sexual/emotional issues... so none of us took it too hard. Sort of one of those "Y'know... Don't blame you for feeling that way... But seriously, you're taking it just a bit far don't ya' think?"

Comment

Your mom threatened to sue YOU? Nice mom you have there. Glad the children and the animals are alright.

Did you get the damages from your Mom?

Mongo
                            I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                              Did you get the damages from your Mom?
                              This is the big question in my mind too. And if you have already, how much of a fuss did she try to kick up about it?
                              Re: Quiche.
                              Pie is manly.
                              Eggs, meat, and cheese are manly.
                              Therefore, making an egg, meat, and cheese pie must be very manly.
                              So sayeth Spiffy McMoron!

Comment

Working...
                              X