This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first suck of the new year

I'm working today, which actually isn't a bad thing - I'm enjoying myself. We were, however, visited by Mr. Sourpuss Customer. After asking if he could help me get his case of $12 wine from the warehouse, he proceeded to complain about the cost of said wine, and about our volume discount.

Now, a bit of background. We're the only hand-sell store in a fairly large radius. Hell, being a hand-sell store in the wine business is pretty rare, these days. We call our collection "curated," because it's treated like a gallery - we go hunting wines rather than just buy on the ratings. People come to us because they want recommendations, not because they're going to find Cupcake and Yellowtail (hint: we sell more interesting wines, for about the same money).

Mr. Sourpuss decided to lay into me for our pricing. First, berating me for how expensive the wine is (dude, that wine has been $12 since I sold it in BROOKLYN, THREE YEARS AGO), then telling me that we're really just an overpriced store, and we need some local competition to drive our prices down (we have competition - they're not competition. People are welcome to go shop there if they want plonk, we send customers there all the time). He finished up by comparing us to {Hipster Wine Store} in the city, which has a huge location, tons of storage, a snotty staff, and prices about equivalent to ours. Their staff is more likely to be Hipster Wine Geek than truly helpful, and their average bottle price is definitely higher than ours. But, according to Mr. Sourpuss, our wines are more expensive, our selection worse, and our staff not as knowledgeable.

He then paid for his case and carried it out to his car.

I hate you, you suck, you are expensive, your competition is sooooo much better....... I'll see you next week.

I never ever EVER will understand that mindset.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

It's not hard to understand. The customer is just trying the OP on, to see if / how he can bully him/her into giving him a discount, or at least a stroking of his precious, fragile little ego. Give in to that mentality and the customer will rule your life.

The best way to deal with it is exactly as the OP did. Don't apologize, don't even acknowledge their subtle demand. You can still be polite, but once the customer has started down that road, I don't volunteer anything.

If the customer gets pushier, though, I'll push right back. A veiled threat that the customer will go somewhere else will be met with a not-so-subtle reality check that I don't care. I have absolutely no problem inviting a pushy or rude customer to shop elsewhere. You know why that is? Because THEY WILL RETURN. There's a reason the customer was there in the first place - probably because it's convenient to them, and going to (other store) is either out of their way, or too far, or the conditions they claim at (other store) don't really exist.

Comment

We used to be one of two daily newspapers. The other one closed. People still bitch about "the only game in town." I now have two responses to this:

1) [other paper] closed in1982. I think most people have gotten used to it by now.
        2) If people loved [other paper] so much, they would have supported it and it wouldn't have closed.

Either of those two responses, said in a very polite voice, tends to elicit sputtering, silence and a change of subject
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Not a wine drinker, so I'm not familiar with what typical prices would be. SC doesn't like your prices? In that case, is he going to go with the Wild Irish Rose, or will he splurge and go upmarket with the Boone's Farm?
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Get the same thing with where I work. Mainly on the price of petrol, but the difference is that I know they're talking bullshit cuz get this, we have to keep ahead of the competition and that means we keep track of the prices. The Sea Creatures Home petrol stations are a couple of pence more expensive and the Spongebob Killers petrol station about five pee more expensive.

So feel free to fuck off and go there, it's your money. Being the cheapest in town means that I know damn well that all the customers who bitch and moan about "You just lost a customer!" or "I'll go somewhere else next time!" are going to come trotting right back here, cuz in the end, they won't want to lose money.
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              Not a wine drinker, so I'm not familiar with what typical prices would be. SC doesn't like your prices? In that case, is he going to go with the Wild Irish Rose, or will he splurge and go upmarket with the Boone's Farm?
              Ah, let's go nuts. How about some Thunderbird or Ripple? Night Train, perhaps?
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                Ah, let's go nuts. How about some Thunderbird or Ripple? Night Train, perhaps?
                Too high crass.

Pruno, anybody. I didn't use any potatoes, this time.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Apparently he doesn't bitch to anyone except me. I'm not the one to whom he should complain- my area is customer service, shipping, and tasting events. I don't control buying, inventory, or pricing.

Comment

Ok dumb question: what is a hand-sell store?
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Hand-sell means that very few, if any, of our customers come in without needing or asking for help. We carry mostly wines that need to be actively sold on an individual basis, due to obscurity or unusual traits. Unlike a lot of similar stores, mine doesn't come with a feeling of pretension or snootiness; we want people to feel welcome, and we want them to enjoy our passion. Boss has a great line: our business plan is to do things that keep us interested. We find the most interesting wines & spirits, set up the coolest tastings, and involve awesome people, because that is what keeps us from getting bored. Luckily, our customers love it. We frequently get calls from customers asking us to assemble cases based on their tastes, menus, or events, because they trust our judgement.
                      Last edited by KiaKat; 01-03-2014, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Oooh! I love trying new wines! And complaining about paying $12 for a bottle of wine? Please. Once you get away from the large producers, $12 is very reasonable.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post

Now, a bit of background. We're the only hand-sell store in a fairly large radius. Hell, being a hand-sell store in the wine business is pretty rare, these days. We call our collection "curated," because it's treated like a gallery - we go hunting wines rather than just buy on the ratings. People come to us because they want recommendations, not because they're going to find Cupcake and Yellowtail (hint: we sell more interesting wines, for about the same money).
                          But...I LIKE Cupcake wine

Comment

Quoth Redbeard View Post
                            But...I LIKE Cupcake wine
                            You ARE a Cupcake!

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                              You ARE a Cupcake!
                              True, true

Comment

Working...
                              X