This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super-important government guy - yes you need ID

Bit of backstory - my company has a websales department where customers can buy online, have them posted, or pick up in store - provided you have valid ID. This ID needs to match the information given when placing the order or I have to call the websales dept (who don't work Sundays). This is clearly mentioned on the order confirmation email the customer gets.

This customer chose to pick up in store.

On Friday I saw the paperwork come through, he'd decided to use his work address (state government building/location etc) and thought to myself, this guy thinks he's important.

Shows up first thing Sunday morning already with a chip on his shoulder, Useless Co Worker couldn't find his order, so as the manager that day I took over.

SIGG: Super-important government guy
    Me:

Me: Ok, found you order, let me go get it.
    *less than a minute later*
    SIGG: About time
    Me: OK, just need to see your ID
    *SIGG pulls out drivers' license with different first name and home address to the order, only the surname matched*
    Me: OK, this doesn't match any of the information on the order
    SIGG: That's ridiculous, I don't have time for this.
    Me: Well, as far as I know, this *item* was ordered by someone else
    SIGG: I *HAVE* to use my English name during the day, my Italian name is on my legal documents.
    Me: Well you need to use your legal name on any orders you have with us.
    *SIGG literally throws a business card at me*
    SIGG: Here's my business card

-Now the business card matches the details on the order, but according to store policy, I'm not supposed to accept this, so I had two choices - accept it and get him out of the store as quickly as possible, or follow store policy and call websales to authorise this... the following day.

Very, very tempted to take the second option because he was a complete ass, but I didn't really want to deal with him any longer, as the shop was starting to fill up.

Me: I can do it this once, but next time use your legal name *I stressed the word legal* on your orders.
    SIGG: Never shopping here again
    Me (thinking it): No loss there

Get him out of the shop, email websales/customer relations manager at head office the story in case he complains.

Later that day the store manager drops in, I relate the story, and find out that the SIGG tried to come in on Saturday. With no ID whatsoever expecting to collect his order. In fact he demanded to see the manager when the sales assistant asked to see ID. Manager repeated the exact words the SA had said about ID (he was standing right behind him at the time.

I laughed.

Monday morning, call from the customer relations manager. SIGG had left a fairly angry voicemail with head office. CRM wanted to know the story, and then decided to call his friend who worked at the same office as SIGG, but higher up, instead of calling the SIGG directly. Would love to hear the outcome of that phone call.

Oh please let there be an update.

Oh reading comprehension, why must thee be a dieing art?
    Why doth thou hid only amongst those that post on these sites?
    Come back to us of faithful reading comprehension, for you are sorely missed.
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Don't these people understand that providing ID is for their own protection?

I used to work in a grocery store in the Bar Harbor, Maine area and as such there were tons of tourists. One day a lady came in and wanted to write a cheque but she didn't have any id, so I turned her down.

She smiled very sweetly and said she understood, no problem. My coworker came over after and whispered in my ear: "That was one of the Rockefeller wives - you should have taken the cheque."

I said I didn't give a damn who she was. No id, no cheques.
      The customer is always right until I decide he isn't.

Comment

Every place that I have ordered from that has the in store option says it requires ID at time of pick up. And it says it several times, either via the site or in the emails! In some cases, the requirement is listed in a different color than the rest of the "fine print.*" It's also listed on the signs in the area you pick up said package at! The only thing they don't do is stamp in reverse on your forehead so you can read it in the mirror when you go to brush your teeth or trowel on makeup!

Other things that require your ID, buying liquor, writing checks, and driving a car. If you don't have ID on your person by this point, you fail at life.

* Fine print is anything the customer doesn't want to read.
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Now that I think about it -----

a few weeks ago I ordered something from Voldy-Mart's website and had it shipped directly to a local store. on the website it stated in very plain and prominent language that when I picked up my item I would be REQUIRED to present a valid state-issued ID. IF an ID was not presented ----- NO PICKUP.

the confirmation e-mails also stated the ID thing.

When I went to the desk to pick up my item there were a couple of signs about the ID. The clerk even photocopied my ID.
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

We don't photocopy the ID, just record the number/expiry, but you'd think its common sense to carry ID with you...

Comment

Quoth Canadian In Maine View Post
              Don't these people understand that providing ID is for their own protection?

I used to work in a grocery store in the Bar Harbor, Maine area and as such there were tons of tourists. One day a lady came in and wanted to write a cheque but she didn't have any id, so I turned her down.

She smiled very sweetly and said she understood, no problem. My coworker came over after and whispered in my ear: "That was one of the Rockefeller wives - you should have taken the cheque."

I said I didn't give a damn who she was. No id, no cheques.
              Honestly, the extremely rich might be even more appreciative of the rules, since more people are out to steal their money.
              I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                Now that I think about it -----

a few weeks ago I ordered something from Voldy-Mart's website and had it shipped directly to a local store. on the website it stated in very plain and prominent language that when I picked up my item I would be REQUIRED to present a valid state-issued ID. IF an ID was not presented ----- NO PICKUP.

the confirmation e-mails also stated the ID thing.

When I went to the desk to pick up my item there were a couple of signs about the ID. The clerk even photocopied my ID.
                When I worked there, it would floor me the number of people who didn't have their ID or would throw a fit about it. All we were told to do with the ID is look at it to make sure the person on the ID matches the name on the order. We didn't photocopy it or anything

Comment

Of-course

And guess how much of a fit these same people will have if they are in the middle of a divorce or major family fight and you give an item to the wrong family person.

In cases if they can prove a loss I bet you can be sued because of doing such.

Comment

The day after the movie theater shooting, we had some famous people visit my hotel. I personally checked in the Catcher of Predators, and yes, I checked his ID. But he was cool about it and he's a really nice guy. Just don't do anything that would get you on his show and in trouble with the police.
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                      The day after the movie theater shooting, we had some famous people visit my hotel. I personally checked in the Catcher of Predators, and yes, I checked his ID. But he was cool about it and he's a really nice guy. Just don't do anything that would get you on his show and in trouble with the police.
                      Why don't you have a seat over here?
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

someone had to say it, or better yet
                        "Why don't you have a room over here"

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                          Did you offer him a lemonade?
                          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I second the opinion that you should have told him to 'have a seat over there' just for laughs
                            Violets are blue,
                            Roses are red,
                            I bequeath to thee...
                            A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
                              I second the opinion that you should have told him to 'have a seat over there' just for laughs
                              I considered that, but I'm sure he's gotten that enough as it is. It would make me no better than the SC's who think they're clever when they say "It didn't scan so it must be free."
                              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Working...
                              X