This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customers who get their way, even when proven wrong

I really get aggravated when a customer gets their way, no matter what you tell them, and no matter how much evidence you give them showing they are wrong. I dealt with an internet account earlier today with a customer service rep requesting to speak to my supervisor. This customer was demanding a credit for a three month promotion on free internet, which we were not offering at all. A few days earlier, my supervisor explained this in detail to this customer, telling him he was not eligible for that being we were not offering it at the time he signed up. Now, the notes went something like this:

01/08/2007: Internet set up, rep helped customer with the manual set up on their computer. Did not hear from this customer until 04/03/2007

04/03/2007: Our collections department shut this man's phone off as well as the internet for not paying his bill. Well, this was when an updated note was added. On the same day, this same man, whom we set up service for, made the claim that he never ordered internet and was demanding a credit for unused service. Our records showed extensive use of the internet which he claimed he never had with us.

04/13/2007: This same deadbeat bastard spoke to my supervisor, and made the claim that he was supposed to have free internet service for three months. Yet, ten days prior, he claimed he never ordered it. My supervisor did give this guy a $20 Goodwill credit and had the service removed.

Today: I got the call from customer service where this same guy was demanding another credit, because that $20 was not enough for the "headache". I advised this rep we already explained this to him, that we are not providing additional credits. A few minutes later, I looked at the notes and saw where a supervisor in customer service gave this bastard another $20 credit, which is now $40 this bastard has received. Our service is $9.95 per month, and it was added three months ago. Even with this made up promo he's talking about, it still does not make $40 in credits.

What also got me about this whole thing was anyone reading the notes could tell this guy was lying his ass off, first showing we helped him set the service up, then him claiming he never ordered it, then later claming he was due a three month credit for a made up promo.........why do supervisors do crap like this? Are they so into retaining bastards like this that they'll just give away money?

A good side to this story is.......this man's phone service is still shut off. Even though he got a $40 credit, he is still $100 in the hole. Maybe if he keeps calling and getting those $20 credits five more times, he'll get his service back!
    Last edited by greensinestro; 04-17-2007, 05:47 PM.

Wow that sucks. Are the supervisors spineless or just lazy and think they can get rid of him for $20? Well $40.... don't they know he'll call back 5 more times until he gets to the $100 he owes???

Comment

AHHHH!! That drives me absolutly INSANE! I get SC call in all the time wanting us to credit money to their account for overdraft fees and such... these are the people whose checking accts are negative by HUNDREDS of dollars EVERY pay period and they always call in with some sob story or saying that they didnt authorize the charges and stuff.. and EVRYTIME there are notes stating "refunded fees as ONE TIME COURTESY ONLY" or "advised member this is the LAST courtesy" and things like that when we arent even supposed to waive them more then once! AND it REALLY bothers me when some of us actually do our job and say NO and do not waive the fees and they ask to speak to a sup and you tell the sup the situation and they side with you, but then when u look back later they refunded them anyway! GRR!

*deep breaths*
      "I've come to realize that ever since I started working, everyday is a little bit worse then the day before...so that means every day is the worst day of my life..."
      - Office Space

Comment

AND it REALLY bothers me when some of us actually do our job and say NO and do not waive the fees and they ask to speak to a sup and you tell the sup the situation and they side with you, but then when u look back later they refunded them anyway! GRR!

*deep breaths*
        Yep, I agree. What really adds insult to injury in this one was a supervisor already told this guy "no" to any more credits, let alone gave a credit, and now another supervisor gave this guy more credit to get rid of him. No matter how the notes proved this guy was lying his ass off, he still got money that was never his, all because he can't pay his bill on time.
        Last edited by greensinestro; 04-17-2007, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
          Yep, I agree. What really adds insult to injury in this one was a supervisor already told this guy "no" to any more credits, let alone gave a credit, and now another supervisor gave this guy more credit to get rid of him. No matter how the notes proved this guy was lying his ass off, he still got money that was never his, all because he can't pay his bill on time.
          And that is exactly why he will probably call back and try it again! UGH..
          "I've come to realize that ever since I started working, everyday is a little bit worse then the day before...so that means every day is the worst day of my life..."
          - Office Space

Comment

Quoth F**kYouForCalling View Post
            And that is exactly why he will probably call back and try it again! UGH..
            I wonder at times if our supervisors are afraid of the customer escalating the call to THEIR superior. Better to waste company money than risk looking bad.

Comment

Quoth Best Made Tacos View Post
              I wonder at times if our supervisors are afraid of the customer escalating the call to THEIR superior. Better to waste company money than risk looking bad.
              They actually are afraid of that. I remember a guy one time, back when Bellsouth and AT&T were different and not all one company, like they are once again. Bellsouth always had to deal with the headache of other companies charging their stuff on their bills, like if AT&T provided long distance, but Bellsouth did local only, it was all on one bill. This guy had questions about AT&T charges, complete with why their toll free number was on the bill and so forth. I had referred this man to AT&T, and it immediately became a supervisor call. From there on, it escalated literally to the corporate level, all because this asshole would not hear of having to call the company who billed him for the service, plus had their 800 number listed to call. It also was over a miniscule charge of $2 over a five minute phone call. Nearly an hour was wasted on this. Now, I had tried to tell this man that I could conference AT&T on to discuss the charge, but no. That was not what he wanted to do. He was not going to speak to AT&T about that charge because it was on the bill that he paid his money to every month.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post

A good side to this story is.......this man's phone service is still shut off. Even though he got a $40 credit, he is still $100 in the hole. Maybe if he keeps calling and getting those $20 credits five more times, he'll get his service back!
                When I was working overnights, I had a caller who was cut off for non-payment... he owed (I think) $1200.

By the time he was through asking for credits, we owed him $200.

Caller: So issue me those credits and turn my service back on.
                Me: Do you seriously think I'm going to issue $1400 in credits at 3AM?
                Caller: It's what I deserve. I should get some compensation, too.
                Me: It's not going to happen.
                Caller: Then let me speak to a supervisor.
                Me: You're more than welcome to do that... when one comes in at 9:00am.
                Caller: I insist this be taken care of right now. You advertise 24 hour customer service.
                Me: If there's nothing else I can help you with, have a great day!
                I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post
                  When I was working overnights, I had a caller who was cut off for non-payment... he owed (I think) $1200.

Caller: So issue me those credits and turn my service back on.
                  Me: Do you seriously think I'm going to issue $1400 in credits at 3AM?
                  Caller: It's what I deserve. I should get some compensation, too.
                  Me: It's not going to happen.
                  Caller: Then let me speak to a supervisor.
                  Me: You're more than welcome to do that... when one comes in at 9:00am.
                  Caller: I insist this be taken care of right now. You advertise 24 hour customer service.
                  Me: If there's nothing else I can help you with, have a great day!
                  Wow, just...Wow.

There seems to be an impression that you can get crazy credits just by asking for them. Not true in a lot of cases. I'm not sure how it is at other places, but in our system we can flag accounts that have a lot of credits given, so that if SCs call in asking for more it has to be reviewed by a Sup before it can be granted, of course the dumbass in your case WAS a sup and therein lies the problem with the system.

Most of the sups where I work are cool, they'll tell the customer they'll "look at the account and give any applicable credits" (which usually means a big fat 0, but the SCs of course think they are going to get something so they leave the call all "satisfied". I love it

Comment

I think companies are starting to get the idea that if a caller wants credit after credit, it might be better if they were doing it to some other company.

The same is true of people who call in to get a promotional rate the moment their current promotional rate expires... since it's obvious they're going to leave anyway when they finally get refused, it might be better if they leave sooner rather than later.
                    I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post
                      I think companies are starting to get the idea that if a caller wants credit after credit, it might be better if they were doing it to some other company.

The same is true of people who call in to get a promotional rate the moment their current promotional rate expires... since it's obvious they're going to leave anyway when they finally get refused, it might be better if they leave sooner rather than later.
                      Sadly, cell phones are an INSANELY competitive market and the companies in that market seem to be more than willing to bend over backwards three times over to retain even the most troublesome customers. God forbid some jerk goes over to Cingular!

And the ones that really get me are people who call in and are on the most basic plan we offer WITH promotional deals for cheaper text messages and internet and STILL want credits!! Greedy bastards.

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post

*insert sound effect of screeching tires

Sweet Jesus doing jumping jacks on a jelly roll, how does somebody rack up $1400 in credits?

I don't care how competetive the cell phone industry is. Any customer who goes deliquent to the tune of $1200 and demands all those credits is not worth retaining. Let them go to Cingular and be a pain in the ass to them.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Wow these companies must really be raking in the big bucks to be so indifferent to being pillaged

As annoying as my old job Bingo-**** was, at least they had the spine to "fire" customers for being more trouble than they were worth.
                          Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                            *insert sound effect of screeching tires

Sweet Jesus doing jumping jacks on a jelly roll, how does somebody rack up $1400 in credits?

I don't care how competetive the cell phone industry is. Any customer who goes deliquent to the tune of $1200 and demands all those credits is not worth retaining. Let them go to Cingular and be a pain in the ass to them.
                            It was cable. He started with, "the tech caused damage to the house during installation." He then moved on "the service has never worked right." Then there were a lot of PPV charges he "couldn't have possibly ordered." And then, "Because of the damage the tech caused, I've been too embarrassed to have anyone over to my house, so I should be compensated for the embarrassment."

All that at 3AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X