This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soap Opera Drink Throwing

I can't believe I forgot to mention this! This happened last week.

There was a screaming child in our bar, and it was horrible. For about an hour straight, all we heard was this constant wailing and screaming. The mother of the child, just ignored it, letting it scream as loud as it wanted. We went over a couple of times, but she just said "He's just teething." And she carried on ignoring him. Now this child was WAY too old to be teething, it was just annoyed because it wasn't getting attention.

She came up to the bar for more drinks, and another customer came up to talk to her. This customer was sat on the opposite side of the building, and he was disturbed by this childs screaming.

SW = Sucky Woman
    BG = Brave Guy
    Me = duh

SW: Large glass of white wine.
    BG: Excuse me, can't you stop your child from screaming?
    SW: What did you say to me?
    BG: I came in here for a quiet drink, and all I can hear is that child screaming!
    SW: He's teething!
    BG: Can't you do some parenting instead of just sitting there and getting drunk?

The woman saw red. She pick up this poor guys pint, and poured it over his head!

Me: HEY!
    BG: YOU BITCH!

He picked up her glass of white wine, and threw it in her face!

SW: Did you see that!? Look what he did!
    Me: RIGHT! GET OUT! YOU'RE BARRED!

The woman picked up the screaming child and ran out the door. I managed to catch the Brave Guy after she left.

Me: Wait! You're not barred!
    BG: What?
    Me: Go home, dry yourself off, come back, and I'll get you a few free drinks.

A regular customer joined in.

RC: And me! That child was driving me insane!

Wow. I wish I could have been there to see that.
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Isn't it a law that anyone under 21 is not allowed in a bar area?

Comment

Nope, in the UK in certain bars and pubs they are allowed. We only allow them until nine at evening, but I believe it should be six.

We do have the rule that they have to be eating, and are only allowed in certain areas, unfortunately, she was obeying all of these rules. The kid was eating, she was drinking.

Comment

Well obviously the child was not eating very much, what with the non stop wailing.

I love this story I hope the BraveGuy came back!
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Maybe it's b/c I'm not a real drinker anyway but I cannot understand taking your child to a bar.... is there still smoking in bars there? You're exposing your child to smoke and possibly to bad behavior - such as the mom's... and there are a lot of other things that could happen in a bar......

or was this a restaurant? Even so, I just don't think as a parent you should be drinking - maybe a glass of wine when you're home and your kid is in bed..... but um who's driving the kid home?? I don't think the kid is the designated driver.... and I just don't think you should be drinking and ignoring your child.......

However, I guess it could've been worse - the mom could have been "feeding" the drink to the child to help w/ it's "teething"... I've heard of people rub rum or something on the baby's gums to soothe them - which I think a tiny bit isn't horrid but there are medicines and stuff you can buy that's probably better than giving your baby alcohol to soothe it.....

Comment

..............I have ALWAYS wanted to throw a drink in someone's face. Not sure why other than that I think it would be fun and very fulfilling.

Then again, I could just be crazy. Hi, my name is Reformedwaitress and I'm a bit nuts.
              "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

Quoth air914 View Post
                I've heard of people rub rum or something on the baby's gums to soothe them - which I think a tiny bit isn't horrid but there are medicines and stuff you can buy that's probably better than giving your baby alcohol to soothe it.....
                A LOT of medicines have alcohol in them.

Comment

LOL! Excellent story! Bravo for the Brave Guy

Comment

I never threw a drink in anyone's face, but I did once dump a large pitcher of iced tea into my soon-to-be ex boyfriend's lap. He was wearing a bathing suit, too. Bet it felt nice on his berries.

Comment

Quoth reformedwaitress View Post
                      ..............I have ALWAYS wanted to throw a drink in someone's face. Not sure why other than that I think it would be fun and very fulfilling.

Then again, I could just be crazy. Hi, my name is Reformedwaitress and I'm a bit nuts.
                      Heeheee, I know the feeling! It's just that the opportunity doesn't come along very often, or at all! Tell you what, RW, we can have a mock soap opera fight and fling (non-staining) drinks at each other!

Kudos to the customer who confronted the SC and asked her to exercise a little consideration!
                      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

When my son was teething all those years ago, I would give me a watered down Lemsip. Knocked right out - no problem.

He went everywhere with me, all the time having good manners, but if he was fussy or teething, I didn't take him anywhere. There's no point having a social life if the kid is in obvious distress.

And if I wanted a drink THAT badly, I'd go to the liquor store and drink at home (but that didn't actually happen, I'm not much of a drinker).

No wonder society is breaking down when parents just don't give a flying rat's arse about what happens to their kid.
                        Total surrender
                        Your touch is so tender
                        Your skin is like water on a burning beach
                        And it brings me relief
                        "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

I have never thrown a drink in someone's face, but being the barfly that I am, I have seen it happen many many times.

And I have had a pint of beer dumped over my head. By a dude of all things!

Quoth reformedwaitress View Post
                          Yes. Yes she is.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Ha ha!

When I read this, I pictured the fight between Andy Kaufmann and Michael Richards on the ABC television show Fridays, which also involved drink tossing!

Saw it on VH1, on one of those I Love the 80s shows.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              I have never thrown a drink in someone's face, but being the barfly that I am, I have seen it happen many many times.
                              When I was working an overnight, a group of ladies ordered in turn, then went to sit down. The last lady was left alone, just waiting for her food. The guys behind her must have been saying something impolite regarding the length of her skirt (or similar) because when she turned around, she poured her drink over one of the guy's shirt, then walked off with the rest of her order.

The guy obviously deserved it, so I just let a nearby manager offer him some paper towels while I continued to serve. Damn funny.
                              Michael: Maybe you'll be inspired by the boat party tonight and start a career as a pirate.
                              Tobias: I haven't packed for that.
                              <3 Arrested Development

Comment

Working...
                              X