This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mp3 players and interesting CDs...

Two little stories for today. Luckily only these two, as today was VERY busy.

1. I had a customer who came in to return an MP3 player. No big deal, it was all there and he had bought it earlier in the day. I asked him if there was anything wrong with it...turns out he was returning it because he didn't have a computer. Ok, makes sense, you need a computer to put the music on it, and (at least with one I have), recharge it. But this guy didn't know that. The best part was that after I refunded the money to him, he said we was going back there to find an MP3 player that didn't need a computer. Ok, good luck with that. (I was telling this story to a coworker and they just blinked at me blankly. I don't think they understood the concept either.)

2. A lady came in trying to return a 2-disc CD of religious music. The problem? One of the CDs wasn't the right one, she said. Ok, this happens. I told her we could exchange it for the same title again (no returning allowed due to copyright laws and such), but she said we were out of them and she just wanted our money back.

I look in the CD case and one CD is religious stuff. The other CD is something that has swears in the titles and stuff. Totally the opposite. I call over my boss to see how they want to handle it because I can't refund it and the lady isn't happy with that, and when the boss opens the CDs to look at them, I notice something- The two CDs aren't even manufactured by the same people- there were different record labels listen on each CD.

I thought that was fishy. Management did too. They refused to refund her money. I was all like, "YAY! " because sometimes they ignore policy just to keep a stupid/rude/scamming customer happy.

Are we going with the theory that she bought the two CDs, then kept the one she wanted, and replaced it with another before returning it for a full refund?
    I hear about new, interesting scams here everyday. I'm always amazed at how crafty some people can (try to) be. I've never worked in a large enough store to see much of this. Most customers were regulars we all knew really well.
    Ironic that it was religious music.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
      Are we going with the theory that she bought the two CDs, then kept the one she wanted, and replaced it with another before returning it for a full refund?
      exactly. But she thought that CDs are all packaged at one location, and they're not aware that company A and company B make them in different locations and seal them before they leave.

I've seen it before. It's kinda funny when they're told no.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

*Slightly Off-topic* Actually, with my Zen nano plus, if you have the right cord, you can record straight from your Cd player into Mp3 Format.

Comment

Quoth amphrite View Post
          *Slightly Off-topic* Actually, with my Zen nano plus, if you have the right cord, you can record straight from your Cd player into Mp3 Format.
          Yes, I was sort of wondering if any did that. But I am sure this genius had no idea either way.

Comment

It sounds like the MP3 guy wasn't being a total ass, unless you failed to mention that. If he was just ignorant, why not drop some knowledge on him?

Comment

Quoth PharmTechPhantom View Post
              It sounds like the MP3 guy wasn't being a total ass, unless you failed to mention that. If he was just ignorant, why not drop some knowledge on him?
              I was under the impression that Mp3 player need a computer. Someone just posted that if they have the right cord for theirs they could use their CD player. So I probably wouldn't be the best person to tell him. I am amazed that no one in electronics told him anything about the item, considering they had to be there to get it out of the locked case for him.

...Oh wait, I'm not surprised. The electronics workers aren't the brightest bulbs on the tree.

And no, he wasn't rude, maybe a little annoyed but not horrible. I only told this story because it amused me.

Comment

Guy #1 was Okay if a little dim.
                The woman however was a scammer. We had someone do this to us with In Living Color DVD(which is a 3-disc set), when the electronics guy opened the DVD cases, the discs were:
                #1 a free trial disc for AOL
                #2 a CD someone burned at home, (It said Big Raul's Mx)
                #3 A Thomas the Tank Engine DVD
                Despite the pleas of both the CSM, and the electronics guy, the MOD took them back. (I wonder if it the manager returned the DVDs because he constantly got drunk and high on the job)
                We also had a woman claim that she got some Dr, Pepper in her 24 pack of pepsi. Now keep in mind Dr. Pepper and Pepsi are TWO DIFFERENT COMPANIES, the woman still insisted that the sodas came like that. Management denied her return.

Comment

Quoth Crow The Robot View Post
                  We had someone do this to us with In Living Color DVD(which is a 3-disc set), when the electronics guy opened the DVD cases, the discs were:
                  #1 a free trial disc for AOL
                  #2 a CD someone burned at home, (It said Big Raul's Mx)
                  #3 A Thomas the Tank Engine DVD
                  And that my friends is why I opended the case of every CD, DVD, VHS and computer game that people ever tried to return to me. I had people try to palm off all sorts of stuff in an attempt to get a refund. You would find blank videos, empty cd cases, bits of cardboard, etc. The regular scammers learned I always checked and started coming in when I wasn't working, hoping the other staff wouldn't check either. Thankfully I'd drilled it into them too so they still got busted

Comment

I have an mp3 player that has FM radio capability (and can also record voice and something else but I never use those) that I can charge from a power outlet, like a mobile phone. So, I can use it without ever needing a computer if I just want the radio. As far as I know I do need the computer to get my own mp3s on there though (it did come with some "sample" tracks that, of course, sucked ).
                    Re: Quiche.
                    Pie is manly.
                    Eggs, meat, and cheese are manly.
                    Therefore, making an egg, meat, and cheese pie must be very manly.
                    So sayeth Spiffy McMoron!

Comment

Quoth booger View Post
                      1. I had a customer who came in to return an MP3 player. No big deal, it was all there and he had bought it earlier in the day. I asked him if there was anything wrong with it...turns out he was returning it because he didn't have a computer. Ok, makes sense, you need a computer to put the music on it, and (at least with one I have), recharge it. But this guy didn't know that. The best part was that after I refunded the money to him, he said we was going back there to find an MP3 player that didn't need a computer. Ok, good luck with that. (I was telling this story to a coworker and they just blinked at me blankly. I don't think they understood the concept either.)
                      I remember a few Christmases ago when my co-worker's "step-daughter" wanted an iPod. She wasn't very tech-savvy (knew just enough to surf the Net and do eBay), so she asked me what it was. I thought it was kind of weird, but I said it was like a Walkman, but played MP3's instead of tapes or CDs. She didn't even know what an MP3 was, so I told her that it was music on her computer that she downloaded off the Internet. (She had mentioned making bootleg CDs, so I thought she knew what an MP3 is.)

Her next question: "You mean she needs the Internet to use that thing?!"
                      "Ye... es." iTunes is an Internet program that she needs to use it.
                      "FORGET IT THEN! I'm not going to spend more money to get Internet for something like that!"

Yet, she had no problem mooching off her parents' connection or surfing on the Net and bidding on eBay when she was supposed to be working. And a crappy dial-up connection was only $10/month. Oh, and the child's biological mother, who had primary custody, had an Internet connection.
                      A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Working...
                      X