This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paper or plastic?

Talking from my days at Publix, it was around 1988 when they decided to use plastic grocery bags, so we often had to ask "Would you like paper or plastic?" And now, I don't think grocery stores use plastic bags any more.

When this happened, we had a customer who made sure all hell broke loose over this one. This guy, who was an auto mechanic, came in at least three times a week, still with grease and dirt under his fingernails, hair unclean, etc, plus he would have his Dolly Parton look alike girlfriend with a six inch waist in tow. Everything had to be double paper bagged, including his bread and frozen items, and they all had to be done a certain way. It got to where no bagger or cashier wanted to help this man due to how unpleasant he made it. We were pretty certain due to his being difficult, he probably beat his girlfriend on a regular basis as well, but there was no real way to know for sure. She just hardly ever spoke, nor was she allowed to make any decisions on the bagging of their groceries. When I first encountered this man and asked "Paper or plastic?", there was no saying "yes" or "no". I was read the riot act on how he hated plastic bags and how we all should know he does not like them. Now, I had just started working there, right as these came into play, so there was no way I knew each customer at first.

So, I ask, is paper or plastic an option anywhere at any grocery store any more? I would love to know.

My store still has paper and plastic. And if you're lucky, paper IN plastic.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

No paper at my store since plastic is cheaper and you get more for it.,
      Military Spouse Support.
      http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
      Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

All the stores I go to have plastic primarily. They keep the paper where people can't get to it. I think if you ask for it they will give it to you.

Some people I know have been given a hard time when they've asked for paper though.

Though a few weeks ago they asked "Paper or plastic" I was shocked.

Comment

When I worked at the grocery store, the owner made it a point to show us what he paid for bags. A bale of 500 paper bags with handles cost $53.00 and a box of 2500 plastic bags cost $17.00. We were not allowed to ask "paper or plastic?" They got plastic unless they specifically asked for paper.

Since I left the store in 2005, they have eliminated paper bags all together.
          This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

All UK supermarkets seem to only have plastic. Or they sell those long life re-usable bags.
            No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

When I worked at Wal-Mart we just used plastic bags. BUT there'd be people who'd get upset cause we didn't have paper bags.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                And if you're lucky, paper IN plastic.
                The stores I go to still offer the option. They still do what I was trained to do when I worked at Kroger. They ask "Is plastic alright?"

Little old ladies wanted paper bags inside plastic ones. They wanted the stability of paper bags, but the handles of plastic bags. I always wondered how many times the stuffed paper bags ripped straight through the plastic ones when they tried to carry them in. It was hard enough to do for light bags, since the corners of the paper bags tend to tear through the plastic ones.
                "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

I think the grocery stores around here still have paper, but they hide them and you have to ask if you want one. I'm guessing most people don't bother..
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                    My store still has paper and plastic. And if you're lucky, paper IN plastic.

Oh man, when I worked at Safeway, I wanted to kill people who asked for that. The worst was double paper in double plastic.

*Side note, the secret shoppers always asked for paper in plastic. And the other people who worked in the store always wondered why the baggers were always the reason the store got a below average grade.

Comment

Quoth GayleShy View Post
                      *Side note, the secret shoppers always asked for paper in plastic. And the other people who worked in the store always wondered why the baggers were always the reason the store got a below average grade.
                      My SO did a little mystery shopping last year. It was kind of fun, but didn't pay anything and just wasn't worth the effort. Though she was never required to ask for paper in plastic, be aware of items on the bottom of the cart (12 packs of pop, flats of canned veggies, 8 packs of paper towels). They will mark you down if you forget to check it. My experience from my grocery days was that truly forgetful (or scandalous) people would walk right out of the store with the unscanned, forgotten item on the bottom of the cart. The secret shoppers will wait until you give the total and say "Oh, almost forgot this!" By that point, you fail.
                      "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

my fiance insists that the cashiers get snippy with him when he asks for paper... but everywhere around here still HAS them both... they will assume plastic, they usually say "plastic ok?" and start putting things in plastic before you answer....
                        i have a hard time ecologically knowing the difference now, since you can recycle BOTH.
                        "we're forced to bed, but we're free to dream." TTH

Comment

Where I work, we're not supposed to ask customers for paper and plastic. Doesn't stop some people, though.
                          My Fanfic Page
                          My Fiction Page
                          My Social Group
                          My Pet Social Group
                          My You Tube Channel

Comment

What I wanna know is, what do all the school children use for book covers now that most grocery stores are being stingy with paper bags?
                            The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

No paper at any stores I go to.
                              "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Working...
                              X